I was cleaning out files in my on-line storage and happened across these pics. I didn't realize I had digital photos of it. I built the diorama after seeing an article about what happened in a magazine. I did some searching and found a contact email for Keith Gallagher, the guy who's hanging out of the Intruder. It turned out that he lived in my city. I invited him to come and speak at one of our IPMS meetings, which he graciously did. As a thank-you, I gave him the diorama. The model is the Revell 1/48 scale Intruder with the Cobra Co. KA-6D conversion. The base is from Just Plane Stuff. The markings are from Almark.

gal1.JPG

gal2.JPG

gal3.JPG

gal4.JPG

gal5.JPG

gal6.JPG

Edited by Darren Roberts

Darren,

You did an amazing job on one of two of the most famous A-6 incidents. I read, watched, etc. the story about your diorama. It is amazing that anyone could survive the beating that this crew-member took!

Now, I have another "A-6 Challenge" for you. If you so decide to do this, it will complete your set of "Famous, Nasty A-6 Intruder Incident" dioramas. We all remember the incident where the flight deck green shirt got sucked into the A-6's "driver side" engine intake. It occurred on the USS Theodore Roosevelt on 2-20-91 during Operation Desert Storm. This incident was caught on tape and is all over the internet. It would also be a great diorama. Since I have never done much of a diorama, I will leave this one in your very capable hands. I know that you can do a superb job on this one also. I look forward to seeing this one is you decide to do it. If you don't do it, maybe I'll give 'er a try.

A-6 Intruder's Really Suck,

Tim

Edited by balls47

A superbly excellent dio D-Rob..., I guess the B/N had seen "Flight of the Intruder" and didn't want to say "Huh!!". Flying is hour upon hour of sheer boredom interrupted by moments of stark terror. IIRC the B/N survived which is the best part by far.

A superbly excellent dio D-Rob..., I guess the B/N had seen "Flight of the Intruder" and didn't want to say "Huh!!". Flying is hour upon hour of sheer boredom interrupted by moments of stark terror. IIRC the B/N survived which is the best part by far.

He did - as I recall the story, the parachute being wrapped up in the tail held him back on the arrestment so the rapid deceleration didn't throw his midsection up against the broken glass, which likely would have gone poorly...