Sean:

As tactfully as you can, you will have to explain the process again. Remind the person that the builds will be completed in the order in which they were received. Remind them that complaining won't make the process go any faster. Advise them that if you receive a complaint from them, their request goes to the bottom of the list so they'll have to wait longer for the completed model. If they continue to bother you even after placing their request at the bottom of the pile, and although you have stated you don't want to abandon the project, inform the person complaining that their request may be canceled due to their lack of cooperation and understanding. This is a noble undertaking and congrats for doing it but the old addage still applies: Gimme Gimme never gets. Don't you know your manners yet!

By the way, I'm still waiting for the masks.

Mike

Sounds to me like they want the service they are ''paying for''

Well, you could kindly show them your workstation filled with others models, and requests you have not even started which are on queue already.

And tell them as a reminder, that you do not work under pressure, and you are doing this for charity work. And that if they do want the model to finished so quickly, they should probably provide you with the model, paints, and tools/material required the finish the model, and still pay you to build it.

Some people like taking advantage of others good will, specially when they are offering something without charge, truly the land of the ''free''

Perhaps a form email to the complainers outlining that it is not a prepainted snap together, but a project built with quality and deep appreciation for the service of the veteran. In this day and age, people complain about a microwave taking too long.

Or tell them to bug off if they want it that dang bad, they can surely build it themselves...

I can't stand ungrateful people

Have you considered restricting the number of requests you accept? You can tell them that you're not able to accept any more requests until the current ones are fulfilled. You can offer to contact them in the future when your pipeline is down.

Have you also considered asking for help from one of the local model clubs? They may be able to help with the burden....

Just some thoughts...good luck, and thanks for doing this!!!

Paul

I was vending at a swapmeet once and the gentlemen next to me who was selling kits (a veteren who was in a wheelchair) and he got talking that these kits were all donated to veterens and that he picked out the good ones and were selling them for himself. He does build, but the idea of selling donated kits that was meant for veterens to enjoy is just wrong. End of day he sold them all to another vendor. I may be the bad guy for posting this but it just ****** me off as I have donated to this cause before that.

137 requests going to take you years to fill. I guess you could tell them a date when you may have it done, like November 12. I am currently building two kits for the same reason. My only deadline is that my father in law has cancer now and we don't expect him to make it another year. I am working to finish it for Christmas this year.

I wonder if a group build "Build a model for a veteran" would work? Those who participate would send the completed model to the choosen veteran.

That sure would take some pressure off you.

Rob

Maybe restrict the people who can request a model to veterans/immediate family (ie wives/husbands only) and do those ones first, then if/when you fill those requests, then open it up to friends/family of vets that want to honor them. Bottom line, they HAVE to understand that you are doing Charity work, that it is costing them nothing, and that you have a life/job/family that needs to be lived/worked/tended to as well as this project.

Aaron

Sean

I agree with Mike....You are doing a stirling job and you will have to explain very diplomatically that each model takes longer than was stated on the News when it was mentioned that you were doing this for the Veterans..{ it said you turn these models out in a few hours !}

If you have had e- mails from those whose model that you are in the middle of and want to know where it is,send them attachments of the work showing how far you are{ which of course eats into your modeling time and other private time when you have to do that }and explain nicely that what needs to be done until THAT particular mdoel is done.

Those whose models are still on the bench waiting to be opened and started then,as the Grant says, inform them where their request is...number 1 , 2 3 etc...

....and ask them to be patient with you while you finish one and ask then to " PLEASE don't promise the person that they are getting this as a Christmas Gift " as each build is complex in its own way and cannot be hurried .

Keep building. It is best to say how it is to someone who complains than keep them ranting on all the time..Once you have said what is what they SHOULD understand..{..and I betach it is NOT THE VETERAN who is asking this but their next of kin right ! :bandhead2: ~

I would keep track of which came to you first, second etc and date them.

BEST WISHES and Happy modeling.... :unsure:

Edited by HOLMES

Instaed of letting everyone know you'll do builds for vets, pick and choose who you build for. Listen for stories from friends, co workers, the newspaper, news etc about a vets story and choose who you build for. They all deserve recognition, but do you really want to kill yourself or become frustrated with the task so you grow to resent and hate it and model building?

I think your generosity has gotten you in over your head.

You should have only accepted as may requests as you can realistically finish, and as mentioned I'd screen the applicant and chose the most deserving.

I'd limit the builds to 1 per month, I'd also entertain the idea of having the requestor send you the kit per your instruction (ie; no dog kit that will be a headache to build)

Get some help, as mentioned I'd go to your local Club and see if they could help out and make a big dent in the 137 you have on your list.

Curt

I think your generosity has gotten you in over your head.

You should have only accepted as may requests as you can realistically finish, and as mentioned I'd screen the applicant and chose the most deserving.

I'd limit the builds to 1 per month, I'd also entertain the idea of having the requestor send you the kit per your instruction (ie; no dog kit that will be a headache to build)

Get some help, as mentioned I'd go to your local Club and see if they could help out and make a big dent in the 137 you have on your list.

Curt

:thumbsup2:

Like I said, I'm just miffed at peoples self importants, not the amount of models to build.

You'll get that with everything and anywhere. I think most people on the planet are completely reasonable, it's the small minority( i hope) that act poorly. Keep up the good work.

Maybe this is how your "clients" are thinking ...

Before I got back into this hobby, about 4 years ago, I couldn't believe people would spend 15 or 20 hours on ... a model! I mean, the last time I put a model airplane together, ( almost 45 years ago ) it only took me a Saturday afternoon! that's it! Glued and painted and playing with it in the tub that night! :woot.gif:

But now that it's common for me to spend over 100 hours on one, I know what it takes. NOW-W-W. :doh:

Your clients may be thinking the same thing ... to put a model together only takes and hour or so ... if that. So before you tear a strip off of them, try to explain the amount of detail, the care in painting it'll take, the finishing aspects of putting one of these miniature replicas together. It's not a model, it's a high quality miniature.

Admittedly, some will understand, some won't, but at least they'll be informed. Maybe even provide a link to a sample online build for them to peruse. I know, when I started looking at that kind of build, I didn't even realize the seams should be filed and sanded .... not to mention the care and overall attention to detail, it takes to build a scale model.

Try to be a little more patient ... that vocal minority just isn't aware how long a model build takes! :salute:

And what you're doing is absolutely, no holds barred, a remarkable gesture of respect. You should be very proud of this! :thumbsup:

Just my 2 cents ...

Have you considered doing a WIP style post you can point them towards? More than anything I can think of that may show these people what is involved, particularly if you include a build log to show the time (both yours and wait time for paint and such to dry).

Set up a video camera and record the work that goes into building a model. With creative use of video editing, speed up the time, showing a 50-60 hour build in about a 3-4 minute video. Put it on Youtube and then give them a link so they can see what really goes into building a detailed model. If they still don't get the concept, just be blunt with them. Tell them you ha a family, work etc....

Are you building them one at a time or doing a few all at once? Best of luck

Welcome to the world of customer service. You have learned that most people don't read past the first sentence of an email. I like the suggestion...Now Serving Veteran #XXX. I've learned that with some, that when something is being provided for nothing, they have higher delivery expectations.

This is the United States. Lots of people here have an entitlement attitude and they want it NOW!

I deal with this sort of attitude on a daily basis, you have no idea how bad it can get.

If you cannot handle the pressure and the attitude thrown your way, quit.

It will make you hate whatever you do, if you do it long enogh.