1:72 scale Atlantis Shuttle

It's nice to see you back at this build. I had hoped you were gonna continue with it, 'cuz I'm dying to see it complete with the Galileo in the bay.

The 'dots' or 'perforations' you've made in the Payload Bay ... do you know what, in fact, they are? Are they vent holes? or Snap buttons? (I may have to add this layer of texture to my cutaway ... )

Thanx for posting again Vince!

Pete

I have the payload bay reference guide and it has some very good information on the longeron fittings and general procedures, but does not have information on specific loads or equipment carried. I would love to get my hands on the technical specifications for specific loadouts, I'm hoping as time goes on, more information will be released on the shuttle program and all of the flights.

Now that the majority of construction is complete in the bay, I'm moving on to finishing the exterior.

The payload bay is masked off and the exterior is given a good clean with windex (works great as a grease cutter)

A good coat of Tamiya lacquer primer is applied (I LOVE THIS STUFF!!) and an even coat of black enamel paint is applied as a base coat.

Since most of the surface is going to be covered in either decals or tape, I'm starting off with painting the RCC leading edges. The outline is carefully measured and taped off. This took a fair bit of time to get the angles and dimensions right. I used the Cutting Edge masks as a guide :)

The RCC is painted light grey, then the joints are taped off with 3mm graphic tape, and everything is painted medium grey. After the masks are removed, I gave both leading edges streaks of light grey, then sealed the paint with lacquer.

I know the RCC looks too stark and there is overspray on the undercoat, but this will all be resolved when the finished surfaces are applied and blended with paint.

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

Edited by Vince Hoffmann

Vince,

That is one SMOOTH looking orbiter! Speaking of smooth, why did you have to use paint masks for the RCC? Why are there not any recessed lines in the plastic?

Why did you choose black as a base coat?

Sorry for all the questions, I am a noob trying to learn from the masters!

Excellent job painting with the rattle cans. Can't wait to see how this one turns out!

(flash forward 6 months) :)

After a HUGE amount of work tracking down photos good enough to use, I have completed and applied the underside decals. The decals are printed on white paper which allows the lighter areas to show properly. The white paper is considerably thicker than the clear, and they don't bend or conform nearly as easy without liberal applications of decal softener.

For those who are interested... Papilio makes the BEST paper and fixative I have ever used.

The decals are put on in three parts: left, right and forward. There is a small amount of variation in color because one of my ink cartridges was running low, but I'm not concerned as they all will be blended with the airbrush.

After the bottom was put on, the edges of the RCC was applied on the bottom, then on top. The top RCC edge was carefully measured and drawn and the strips applied over the lines. The remainder of the upper wing will get a combination of white decals and tape.

For some reason, the first photo came out with a purple tinge, which does not show in person. Probably just the light reflection.

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

It is a lot of work to measure and piece the images together, but its coming along nicely. 6 hours in front of the computer translates to 1/2 hour at the work bench :)

The nose decals are coming along, I have the nose RCS module and a few odd shaped pieces around the nose RCC left to work on then I can start printing again.

Vince DUDE!!! This just gets better and better! The belly tile decals are siply great! I plan on attempting to make the same thing based on the one I did for the 1/144 scale kit and scale them up. Probably take a lot of tinkering to get them to fit but from the looks of it, it is THE way to go. Hope some of the other decal drawings I sent you were of some use to you. Can't wait to see this thing progess.

Bill

Wow, I'm spending a lot of time on these tile decals. Here's my latest rendering, and I still have other markings to apply, but this is a good start for the side images, I still need to complete the forward RCS section.

This also includes the black tile sections on the back of the orbiter at the wing level.

Bill, your work is coming in very handy :), I'll post the updates later as things progress.

Nosetest.jpg

Edited by Vince Hoffmann

Hi Vince,

Those tile decals look really great. I like the idea of using them and then blending them all together with a bit of weathering.

Do you (or any of the other talented modellers here) plan to sell your tile decals or computer images? I'm not too great with photo manipulation, so for anyone who is and is considering offering their work, I'd be interested.

Jeff

Vince and I are working together on decals that will cover most of the orbiter (both white and black thermal areas). I thought maybe once I'm done with my project I will share the digital files of my decals and accept paypal donations since I'm putting so many hours into making them. Mine will be 1/100, so modelers working in other scales would have to shrink or enlarge the files to fit their kits. Vince is working in 1/72 so if he chooses to make his available then you will have that scale to work with as well.

I have a Tamiya and several Monograms 1/72s in my stash, plus an Airfix 1/144. I would certainly be interested in acquiring the image files as well. Right now I am sort of working on my own. It looks like your work is more advanced as you likely know what you are doing with the images and I certainly do not!

Edited by DutyCat
  • 3 weeks later...

Vince, pleeeaassse let me donate to you and share your tile decal solution!!! Amazing, exactly what i want my kit to look like. I have a long way to go since i'm only just picking up my kit this Friday!! lol Just send a pm and i would gladly donate to the shuttle kit tile decal donation fund.

• 2 years later...