1:72 scale Atlantis Shuttle

Jetplane: The missing OMS nozzles will be added during the final painting stages.

MarkD: Thanks for the painting tip, but its a bit late now since the doors are already done (I'll post pictures later). I have found no reference pictures of the inside of the doors when the radiators are deployed, but I do have some good line drawings of the framing and latch mechanisms.

Will you be making any new hinges for the payload bay doors?

No hinges. The doors will be pinned to the sides (notice the small pins in the photos). Then the PE door actuators will be glued in place. So, the doors will be fixed open and held in place by the brass pins.

Crowe, thanks :) The only problem area was the top of the crew compartment. I'm not worried about it though because it'll be covered by the insulation blankets. The other seam problems around the rear area were fixed with epoxy putty and will be covered by the surface finishes.

Crowe, thanks :) The only problem area was the top of the crew compartment. I'm not worried about it though because it'll be covered by the insulation blankets. The other seam problems around the rear area were fixed with epoxy putty and will be covered by the surface finishes.

Vince,

What will you be using for the insulation blankets?

Mike.

The payload bay is painted with white lacquer spray paint. I would normally use an airbrush for this job, but the Tamiya lacquer spray cans are so much better than they used to be that I have no reservations using them on a job like this.

After the white has dried, a coat of clear lacquer is applied using the airbrush. This seals the white paint against the wash to come later.

PC240140.jpg

PC240141.jpg

A wash of black enamel thinned with mineral spirits is liberally applied to the inside of the cargo bay. The mineral spirits do not attack the lacquer.

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

After the wash dries, a rag dampened with mineral spirits is used to wipe off the excess paint. A couple of passes over the surface and the results look pretty good. I'll need to clean up some of the corners where the wash was heavy, but so far so good.

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

The next step will be detail painting and decaling the interior.

Here are the bay doors, using the same technique described above for the cargo bay. Just like the cargo bay, there will be detail painting and decals and more add-on doodads to come. I wasn't particularly concerned about removing all of the excess wash as most of the areas on the doors will be covered up or in deep shadow from the radiators.

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

Edited by Vince Hoffmann
  • 3 weeks later...

Continuing with the payload bay, the bridge fittings are next. I realized after they were done that I had made a huge mistake... I made them upside down :bandhead2:

So, here are the progressive pictures of the upside down bridge fittings... I'll cut these apart and rebuild them properly and post new pictures in a few days.

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I took a 2 week break from this model, but yesterday I was back at it again! Working on the IUS cradle and tilt table this time. The parts are old RSM parts from their first shuttle payload bay detail kit issued back in the late 90s. They are good starter shapes but require a fair amount of extra detailing.There is quite a bit of good reference on the NASA website for the cradle, but each mission that flew a cradle was different and the device has shown a lot of changes over time. This model shows one of the earliest type entirely wrapped in mylar insulation. Later models were left exposed and entirely pai

I first cut off a bunch of blocky detail that was not accurate, then fabricated plastic parts to replace what was removed. The plastic bits are shown here assembled and in part form.

Small plastic ribs were glued on and mylar foil was glued between them using foil adhesive similar to rubber cement.

After the foil was all glued onto all of the sides, epoxy putty is used to form two shapes that cover the IUS support brackets. These were also covered in foil and the IUS brackets (I don't know what else to clal them) are made from various bits of plastic and glued in place.

The final step is to add the bumper and locking devices at the bottom of the cradle using plastic rod and stock.

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

• 1 month later...

Alrighty. So I haven't posted on this project in a few weeks so here's the last part of the IUS cradle assembly.

The trunion pins were replaced with short aluminum tubes to better represent the stainless steel. The cradle was then attached to the bridge fitting with a short U shaped piece of wire which represents the capture mechanism. Done!

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

Edited by Vince Hoffmann

next up is the tilt table.

The original part is an old Real Space Models cargo bay detail kit that originally came with a TDRS communications satelite model. The tilt table is too large and has incorrect details for this flight (all tilt tables flown differ according to the payload). So the first step was to carve off the incorrect details, and add a few of my own.

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

Additional instrument boxes are made from plastic. Some are painted, and some are foiled. The double trunion pin assembly is also started.

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

Heh, no.. but I wish. I've just been collecting every single shuttle and space station mission photo that I can grab since the start of the ISS project, and selected missions prior to that. And my collection of space shuttle books helps too!