How quickly they forget!

So it's only been a matter of a few months... Who remembers all the hooplah over the "horrible" wing rivet detail on the Tamiya Mustang? You'd have thought Beelzebub himself had designed the kit ;)

That controversy was replaced by the Great Great Wall P-61 Kurfuffle. Now that that one has died down, we'll have to wait for the next Epic Kit Uberfail for some entertainment. I'm sure somebody will find a "fatal flaw" in the forthcoming Revell PV-1.

SN

Not prop-related but the 1/48 Eduard Mig-21 bis has many people at Hyperscale on the verge of an aneurism.

Eduard says "yeah, we know it's not right, but it's not cost effective to fix it".

Personally, I don't see an issue, they rogered up to the mistake, if you can live with it, buy it, if you can't, don't. Seems pretty simple.

I understand that the upcoming Hasemiyatrump 1/57nd scale Farley Fruitbat has the wrong tire tread depth. Heresy.

And I say that, having viewed a few pictures of the test spures on the internet, the tyre tread depth is accurate for a Mornington Crescent-built Fruitbat!

Vince

The shots I saw, on a reputable East Undershirt web site, showed some cell phone picts (taken through the roof glass at the warehouse) showed the boxs were being filled with old Err-till re-pops- of the even earlier Guill-rows- of the Stoddard Strumfleggle and REISSUED as our much loved old Fruit.

THIS MADNESS must Stop!

I say we all stop modeling on Thursdays to show we mean business- We wont take such cavalier treatment any more!8318.gif

Never mindhide.gif

So it's only been a matter of a few months... Who remembers all the hooplah over the "horrible" wing rivet detail on the Tamiya Mustang? You'd have thought Beelzebub himself had designed the kit ;)

I give credit to Taniya's marketing department for this. Within a couple of weeks of the kit being announced my LHS had a partial set of sprues to fondle and the debate was over. While I read as many prerelease reviews as the next guy nothing beats holding the plastic in my hands to make up my mind.

That controversy was replaced by the Great Great Wall P-61 Kurfuffle. Now that that one has died down, we'll have to wait for the next Epic Kit Uberfail for some entertainment. I'm sure somebody will find a "fatal flaw" in the forthcoming Revell PV-1.

SN

Not likely, because you did see the built-up at the Nationals, and RoG are often pretty good, so at least it looks like a real kit, which is a little more than you can say for Great Wall's P-61...

I understand that the upcoming Hasemiyatrump 1/57nd scale Farley Fruitbat has the wrong tire tread depth. Heresy.

Hasegawa, Tamiya and Eduard haven't come out with something propeller-driven smaller than 1/32 or bigger than 1/72 in about three years, Trumpeteer around four years if you don't count the recent paper project Me-509... It's a sure-fire way of getting it right: Produce nothing!

Robertson

Edited by Robertson

Not likely, because you did see the built-up at the Nationals, and RoG are often pretty good, so at least it looks like a real kit, which is a little more than you can say for Great Wall's P-61...

Hasegawa, Tamiya and Eduard haven't come out with something propeller-driven smaller than 1/32 or bigger than 1/72 in about three years, Trumpeteer around four years if you don't count the recent paper project Me-509... It's a sure-fire way of getting it right: Produce nothing!

Robertson

Tamiya 1/48 Zeros from 2009 and 2010?

Hasegawa 1/48 F1M2 Pete from 2009?

Eduard 1/48 Fw190D-9 from 2010?

Oh, I saw the sprues and build-up of the Ventura at the Nats myself, and agree the kit looks very nice. I'm just saying that you can count on somebody, somewhere, finding some sort of defect or error (real or perceived) and blow it all out of proportion.

SN

Not prop-related but the 1/48 Eduard Mig-21 bis has many people at Hyperscale on the verge of an aneurism.

Eduard says "yeah, we know it's not right, but it's not cost effective to fix it".

Personally, I don't see an issue, they rogered up to the mistake, if you can live with it, buy it, if you can't, don't. Seems pretty simple.

If you're going to quote the Eduard Mig-21 kerfuffle at least get it right! They have specifically said it's not about cost, they decided it was not worth the effort to make a correct nose, and that the difference was so small modellers wouldn't notice. And it wasn't a "mistake", it was a deliberate decision to release it as is, there's no mistake, it's intentionally inaccurate.

As I said, if you're going to quote another ;ongoing issue, get the details right.

Robertson

Worth noting that the kit is nothing to do with RoG, they will be releasing it in Europe, but it's an all-American undertaking in terms of design, it's an R-M tooling, not RoG. Seperate entities . And the last thing they did in 1/48th was the Super Hornet. Ahem! Time will tell. ..

If you're going to quote the Eduard Mig-21 kerfuffle at least get it right! They have specifically said it's not about cost, they decided it was not worth the effort to make a correct nose, and that the difference was so small modellers wouldn't notice. And it wasn't a "mistake", it was a deliberate decision to release it as is, there's no mistake, it's intentionally inaccurate.

As I said, if you're going to quote another ;ongoing issue, get the details right.

Thanks for telling me not once, but twice, to get the details right. Because with my limited intellect it really didn't sink in the first time, I really prefer at least three admonishments but as Mick Jagger once told us "You can't always get what you want".

In my defense though I really don't give a rat f**k about the Mig 21 anyway.

Warmest Regards,

Mike

Edited by The Mikester

I gotta check the rivets on the wings of my P-51, but if it didn't have rivets, I'm sure someone would complain that he/she wanted to build it fresh from the factory (or being built), with no paint on, no polishing or whatever and that they needed the rivets and Tamiya sucks.

madcow

Thanks for telling me not once, but twice, to get the details right. Because with my limited intellect it really didn't sink in the first time, I really prefer at least three admonishments but as Mick Jagger once told us "You can't always get what you want".

Nah, three times would be over egging it. Never let it be said that I do that.

In my defense though I really don't give a rat f**k about the Mig 21 anyway.

Warmest Regards,

Mike

Which is fair enough, but it does explain why you misrepresented the entire issue around the model. Which I corrected. Saying you don't give a rat f**k isn't really a defence per se, is it? It's more an entirely valid point of view based on your personal likes and dislikes, but hardly a defense for inaccurate information or interpretation . Not that you needed a defense, because your clearly stated lack of concern for the kit and its issues covers your ignorance of the larger debate, but hardly defends your decision to use it as a bad example.

Don't be so defensive, it's only a model! :thumbsup:

Tamiya 1/48 Zeros from 2009 and 2010?

Hasegawa 1/48 F1M2 Pete from 2009?

Eduard 1/48 Fw190D-9 from 2010?

Hasegawa's F1M Pete is from March 2009: That's 32 months ago, and it is the closest genuinely all-new 1/48th prop release of the three you mention...

Tamiya's A6M5 Zero is from August-September 2008, the 2010 A6M3 is not all new by any means.

Eduard's FW-190D-9 comes a little closer to being all-new within that period, but has the same terrible bubble canopy, thick tailfin base and thin wheels as the Antons of 2008, and is thus very unfortunately not strictly all-new...

Even Revell's 1/48th Mosquito is so awful (and badly trounced by Tamiya's B.IV) it hardy deserves mention, so add up Revell, Trumpeteer, Eduard, Tamiya and Hasegawa, for the past 32 months, and in 1/48th the total all-new prop tally is: 0.

I actually can't think of a dry spell, in that scale for props, that is even remotely comparable to this in the past thirty years... Ten years ago both Tamiya and Hasegawa each had two 1/48th prop kits every 12 months...

Robertson