Any helicopter pilots here?

Are there any civilian/commercial helicopter pilots lurking around ARC? I'm stuck in college with a dead-end major, and a passion for aviation but no clue where to go, and I'd like to talk to some helicopter pilots to see if there's a snowball's chance in hell I could pursue that route.

I'm unfortunately not able to join the military due to one physical condition (which can be relieved by weight lifting, stretching, etc.) and two chronic illnesses, both of which are controlled by medication, one of which is inactive. Those being the two key words that the military doesn't give a rat's arse about.

Right now I'm majoring in the Japanese language, but that's a dead-end as far as I'm concerned. China is the rising power, for one thing. That and my only three career options are business (I refuse to be a corporate slave), teaching (I don't want to deal with kids) or translating (which no doubt will go back to business). Don't even get me started on the weakness of the language program here and the total lack of native Japanese speakers to help maintain my language skills.

So I'm thinking helicopters. I'm just worried that my medical conditions, however stable they are, will hold me back. I'm also trying to figure out where a helicopter flight school might be, and how much it will cost--also about financial aid. I Google'd and only got an endless circle of ad sites.

So anyway, any commercial helicopter pilots out here?

Corporations and helicopters go hand and hand... If you think that being a pilot makes you further removed from expensive companies you need to do more homework.

You misunderstand. I don't like wearing a monkey suit. I don't like economics. I don't like marketing. I don't like management (unless I'm managing a machine). I don't like accounting. I don't like cubicles. I don't like the idea of "karoshi" (death from overwork). I don't like the idea of kissing up to some hack who makes six figures. I don't like the idea of living a miserable life. That's what I don't like about business and corporations.

I do like the idea of flying some kind of aircraft, no matter how many hours of study and ground-time it takes before I even get to fly the bloody thing.

In the end, everything goes hand-in-hand with corporations, so your point is moot.

Edited by Jinro

Work as a Commercial helicopter pilot in Canada.

Be prepared to spend LOTS of money to get your goals, and a lot of hardship.

There is no easy way into the market as a pilot, and you have to really do your homework. As far as illness/medicals etc. Find yourseld a Aviation Medical Examiner in your area/ciy/town, and they can for a $100 let you know if you'll pass one or not. should not be too hard, usually if you are not color blind or diabetic, you are good. And even wit those, you can get waivers.

Now, as far as work, there is someout there, but you can almost be guaranteed that you have to start as an instructor for a year or 2, before you even have a chance to look at other jobs, and then it will depend on what you want to do, as flying helicopters is LOTS more than just flying...

I fight fires in the summers, du support work for surveys, drillmoves, etc. and in the winter I fly as part of a crew to support the North Warning System in Northern Canada (As in -40 northern Canada), so the work is diverse.

You got to prepare yourself for weeks away from family and friends, nowhere to build models (which sucks!!) and little time off during the summer.

Other than that, there is too much to write about, so easier if you ask specific questions.

As far as schools go, there are big schools (Bristow Academy, Hillsboro Aviation etc) and lots of smaller ones, all over, just do your research. Also, remember that you will need to meet the requirements for hours, and the schools are masters of tacking extra cost to any little fee, so the training is expensive.

Cheers

Harald.

You misunderstand. I don't like wearing a monkey suit. I don't like economics. I don't like marketing. I don't like management (unless I'm managing a machine). I don't like accounting. I don't like cubicles. I don't like the idea of "karoshi" (death from overwork). I don't like the idea of kissing up to some hack who makes six figures. I don't like the idea of living a miserable life. That's what I don't like about business and corporations.

I do like the idea of flying some kind of aircraft, no matter how many hours of study and ground-time it takes before I even get to fly the bloody thing.

In the end, everything goes hand-in-hand with corporations, so your point is moot.

No its not. You basically work for a big corporation with fleets of helicopters, or you work for a small business with a few, that does incredible odd jobs all over remote areas. Your boss will always make 6 figures either way. if its small, prepare for lots of extra scut work and living out of motel sixes (if your lucky) Mechanics will refer to you as an "over glorified bus driver" either way. If you work for a big company you will still have lots of rules, customers, and bosses to please. You won't get hired until you accrue lots of hours. Lots. It will take years. the military guys will always have an edge because they will have thousands of hours the second they leave the service.

Echo everything Winnie has said as well.

As far as schools go, there are big schools (Bristow Academy, Hillsboro Aviation etc) and lots of smaller ones, all over, just do your research. Also, remember that you will need to meet the requirements for hours, and the schools are masters of tacking extra cost to any little fee, so the training is expensive.

What are some good resources for finding schools? Like a school list or something? I epically fail at Google for some strange reason and couldn't find anything that wasn't littered with ads.

No its not. You basically work for a big corporation with fleets of helicopters, or you work for a small business with a few, that does incredible odd jobs all over remote areas. Your boss will always make 6 figures either way. if its small, prepare for lots of extra scut work and living out of motel sixes (if your lucky) Mechanics will refer to you as an "over glorified bus driver" either way. If you work for a big company you will still have lots of rules, customers, and bosses to please. You won't get hired until you accrue lots of hours. Lots. It will take years. the military guys will always have an edge because they will have thousands of hours the second they leave the service.

Thanks for the pessimistic, less-than-helpful side of things. You make me feel oh so much better. <_<

FYI, I've seen my local EMS heliport. It's nothing like what you say.

Edited by Jinro

What are some good resources for finding schools? Like a school list or something? I epically fail at Google for some strange reason and couldn't find anything that wasn't littered with ads.

Thanks for the pessimistic, less-than-helpful side of things. You make me feel oh so much better. <_<

FYI, I've seen my local EMS heliport. It's nothing like what you say.

It isn't pessimistic, it's reality. I'm an army helicopter pilot with over 500 hours in the most advanced attack helicopter in the world and I couldn't get a job flying corporate even with my commercial helicopter and instrument ratings. If you don't have 1500hours or more, they won't even look at you. Plus, with the coming reduction in force, there are going to be a lot more high-time military pilots competing for those jobs.

Why helicopters? You're looking at a HUGE investment. Literally tens of thousands of dollars. When you've finally got your ratings, the best job you'll be able to get is as a second safety pilot for a New York tourist service. You won't be flying for EMS, Life Flight or anything like that, especially without any NVG time. For that same investment of time and money, you could get your private fixed wing license, commercial rating, Flight instructor rating and teach people to fly fixed wing.

Jon

TT's very much right. I've looked into it too, and I can agree with him. You are always going to be working for someone John Wayne in McClintock said that he worked for every person in these here United States that walks into a butcher shop and orders a steak (he was a rancher that basically owned the town and everythng in it if you've not seen the movie). You're always going to have a boss/manager no matter what you do, flying included. I've met a lot of pilots in the airshows that I've been to, the airports I visit, friends that I've talked to, etc...And trust me, it is the same as any other job. You have pilots that LOVE the job and LOVE the flying, and then you also have pilots that look at themselves as glorified bus drivers, and that cockpit just becomes a little cubicle that they are stuck in for another 5, 10, 15, however many years until they can retire.

He's right about the hours and the cost too. The schools that I've looked at are in the $50,000-$60,000 range for Commercial Pilot. I also talked to a pilot in the Border Patrol, which is what I want to do, and they said that you can not even apply to be a pilot until you have 1500 hours of flight time, and the highly prefer that you are dual-rated...Have both your Fixed and Rotory Wing licences. They are also looking for people with prior military/law enforcement experience. Every single officer I talked to on the crew was ex-military. You won't get your dream job right off the back...You're going to have to work your way up just like everywhere else.

I'm by no means trying to discourage you. Far from it. This is my dream too, and I want you to succeed. You just need to understand that TT and everyone else here is trying to help you. They don't want you to go in blind. Weigh your options, and if this is something you really want to do, then go for it.

Good luck to you.

Aaron

The military guys definately have an edge, but I know several fire and EMS pilots who put themselves through school. It cost them a lot of money and they spent years doing very basic flying work to build up their hours.

One found work for a crop dusting company, he started out in a ground support role mixing chemicals and loading the aircraft. Eventually he started being allowed to fly as an alternate covering sick leave and vacation time, then after a few more years he became a regular pilot for them. Once he had a good chunk of hours he found work with a company that contracted helicopters for firefighting. It took him about 10 years to go from school to flying firefighting helicopters.

If you really want to do it, it can be done but don't expect to go from school to great job.

I agree with most things said here.

I have been flying for a little over 10 years, and I have a 4500hrs or so in the book. This might seem a lot, but it doesn't mean I can walk into any job I want. There is about 10000 other guys and gals out there with just as many hours and the same dreams. To become a "successful" commercial pilot takes money (a lot), timing (right place, right time), perseverance, hard work and a lot of luck. Also add in the willingness to do odd jobs, work in some strange places and for some strange people for very little money. The people that pay you this small amount of money will more than likely have little or no understanding of what flying a helicopter actually entails, and will set their own expectations and requirements accordingly. This leads to pressure being put on the pilot to stay legal, safe and alive, often with your boss (and writer of paychecks) yelling at you to get the job done! Are you willing to walk away from a job to stay safe, legal and alive? No? Then don't waste the money on the licenses! The cold hard facts is that I have lost 7 friends in almost 11yrs of flying, almost all of them to caving in to pressure...

As for military pilots, I have flown with many of them, from many nations and many generations. Don't knock yourself for not being able to join that fraternity, and certainly don't let that stop you! As Winnie said, talk to an AME, and you will have your answer in less than an hour, for about 100USD. Military pilots are not superhuman and ready to go with thousands of hours and all the experience us civvies will never get (although they do get to fly some awesome machines and do some awesome stuff we will never get close to). Some of them are no doubt fantastic pilots, just there are fantastic civilian pilots. From my experience in the "real world" of civilian flying they aren't any better or worse than the rest of us. They got their training paid for, didn't "have" to fly a piston helicopter (which is a shame as it's a fantastic learning tool) and right off the bat most of the guys I have working for me (I'm a chief pilot with 35 pilots, 50% ex mil from many nations) held themselves to be better than us civvie street guys. This changed pretty quickly as they settled into civilian life themselves. Don't mean to knock the military guys (I served 4 years myself, deployed for 3) but they aren't any better than the rest of us... There are a lot of ex-mil guys coming out of the service now, but they will not automatically go to the head of the line for all the jobs out there. A lot of civilian pilots have both more hours and a more relevant experience.

If you are going for an EMS job, and you don't have NVG time...guess what...if you meet the requirements and pass the interview....they will train you.

As others have said, to get a job you'll need hours...at least 1000hrs for a "real commercial" job. You will, however, be able to work as a flight instructor (very few kids to deal with!!), do tours, scenic flights, photo flights or be a logging Co-jo etc with less than a 1000 hours. You won't get paid much, and you will most likely not get to fly the cool machines (depending on what you personally think of as a cool machine). With experience comes more money, more career opportunity and the cooler machines.

One thing you will see on many job postings is "willing to work in a team" or "must have great people skills". Being humble, willing to learn and honest will take you far.... The attitude shown by you in some of the posts above, "Thanks for the pessimistic, less-than-helpful side of things. You make me feel oh so much better" being one example, will take you right into the unemployed pilot line...and from there most likely into a cubicle somewhere. There are thousands of unemployed pilots looking for work...and being a sarcastic wise *** isn't going to make you stand out in a good way.

Now, if you go to an AME and he or she gives you the ok start looking around and call some schools. Bristow Academy was mentioned, great school but a bit pricey. For the price you get top notch training, and a world wide network of pilots and companies that know exactly what kind of pilot they are getting by hiring you...most are either from or working with Bristow Academy Almuni. That being said, there are many "mom and pop" schools out there that give great training and at a lower price...and there is nothing stopping you from being successful with a license from them.

Another option (if fixed wing is an option for you) is to look into Embry Riddle. Great school, great education...and you get a pilot license at the end of it as well!

If we seem overly cynical and negative...and trying to stamp your dreams down into the mud, it's just being realistic. A helicopter license is an awesome thing to have, but it doesn't mean you get a job. Having a pilot job is great, but it's probably not going to be job you envisioned when you started your training. It's a rough world out there, and getting into this industry on false pretenses (or staying out of it on false pretenses) will not do you any good. I have seen many a dream slashed, and I know a lot of people....some of them great pilots....now working hard to pay off their bank loans as anything but pilots.

As for me, I trained at HAI (now Bristow Academy), worked as an instructor for 2yrs barely making enough money to live. Then flew law enforcement in the Caribbean for almost 3 years...made enough money to have 25USD a week spending cash (this had to cover food as well). Then flew tours and charters first in the Seychelles and then Bahamas. By Bahamas I was up to 3000 dollars a month, before tax. That was after 6 years of flying. Now I'm back working for Bristow, in Nigeria.

The thin red line through my career is time away from home. Even now, with a steady job, I'm only home 6 months of the year. Has it been worth it? Hell yea!

Any questions, please feel free to PM me any time.

Ken

Flying a helicopter is a great job, and mastering the machine is a fantastic feeling. Don't give up on the dream because of what you read here, but don't think it's an easy job to get or have. Stay realistic, and most importantly...stay legal, safe and alive. And remember...the most important word in aviation is "no".

Edited by Helidriver

If the huge monetary investment for tiny starting pay just isn't doable for you, why not fixed wing? As was mentioned, for much less money you can go through getting the different certificates necessary and be employable. A fellow who worked at the FBO in Appleton WI where I get my Cessna's gas and maintenance did that, flew skydivers out of a different airport while he wasn't driving the gas truck. Once he built enough hours the FBO hired and trained him to fly their King Air turboprop. He built up his time in that for a couple more years, and just got hired by Air Wisconsin. He's just finished his training and is now a real, honest to God airline pilot.

I'd suggest if you have such a strong interest in aviation, join AOPA immediately, and request their Flight Training magazine (you get a choice of that one or another magazine as part of your membership). Flight Training has a section in each issue for aspiring career pilots, and they've had several recent articles on flying helos that would probably be of interest even if you choose not to go that route.

One other thing, if you're smart, go to the AME and DO NOT fill out the papers for an FAA medical. Explain your circumstances and have him give you the physical without the paperwork first to see if you'd be able to pass or get a "special issuance" Class 2 medical certificate. If you can't pass, then you can still fly for fun as a Sport Pilot using your drivers license and self-certification. You can't fly for a living. If you do fill out the papers and then take the physical and can't pass or get a special issuance, you'll be grounded.

I don't have toime to explain further, got to get ready for work, but a little research on your part will tell you what I'm talking about.

Scott W.

What has been said here about attitude is very important. Being positive and willing to sacrifice to get the job done without complaining is what people in charge want. Doesn't mean it is always fair or right. Just the way it is. I have learned this the hard way, believe me.

I don't know about helicopters, but assuming the economy gets better, and if you are able to hold a 1st class medical, the commercial airlines are wide open, as long as you meet flight training qualifications and experience levels. You will need ratings through CFII and MEI and 1500 hours(especially multi time). The 1500 hours can be reduced as low as 500-750, if you graduate from a "bridge program" which focuses specifically on airline style training. The best known of these is Airline Transport Professionals (ATP). I went through their program and got job offers from American Eagle and Air Wisconsin. Embry-Riddle is NOT a bridge program, BTW.

The wild card is the economy. If the economy tanks and you are junior you can be vulnerable. I went with Air Wisconsin, got almost immediately furloughed when US Airways asked us to cut back 10% on our routes, then got recalled a year and a half later. By then I had established myself as a high school teacher and was enjoying it and the lifestyle (long weekends, holidays, summers off, home every night) and decided not to go back. I sometimes wish I would have gone back as by now I would be sitting pretty, but at the time I was somewhat shell shocked after spending 60K on flight training.

Oh and as far as being a teacher...I know you said you did not want to work with kids, but even if you did, you can cross that off your list if you don't like dealing with "bosses." My largest stress factor is dealing with Assistant Principals and Principals and their attempts at implementing the various district, state, and federal public school improvement initiatives. A modern public school classroom is micromanaged to extreme levels, with all sorts of frustrating daily "must haves" and "must do's." With a few exceptions, dealing with the kids is the easy part for me.

If you really want to do it, it can be done but don't expect to go from school to great job.

And this is one issue I have with college. They get you in the door saying "this degree will get you this job" or some other nonsense, then when you're about to graduate you find out it was all bulls__t.

The attitude shown by you in some of the posts above, "Thanks for the pessimistic, less-than-helpful side of things. You make me feel oh so much better" being one example, will take you right into the unemployed pilot line...and from there most likely into a cubicle somewhere. There are thousands of unemployed pilots looking for work...and being a sarcastic wise *** isn't going to make you stand out in a good way.

When I ask for help, and I receive abrasive, not so helpful, somewhat rude comments that don't answer my question at all, I can't help but to reply in kind. Taiidan's comments had no valuable information whatsoever and were pure put-downs.

I really don't have much interest in commercial fixed wing. I can't really explain why, I just don't. The only thing I can explain is that the cockpit setup is awkward for me. Yolk instead of stick, throttle quadrant on the right, which means I have to control the aircraft with my left when making power adjustments (I'm right hand dominant and prefer the throttle be on the left). Those plunger-style throttles you see in piston aircraft drive me nuts.

Edited by Jinro

There's a difference between being BLUNT, and being RUDE. TT was being BLUNT. Not rude. If you can't understand and accept that, then it is your problem. We are all just trying to prepare you for what is ahead, as you don't seem to "get it" yet.

As far as college goes, you are right. But again, everyone has to start somewhere. I have a co worker who's brother is in the FBI. He has a doctorate in Chemistry, and is literally a genius based on his IQ (think Dr. Spencer Reid from Criminal Minds if you watch that) and guess what...Despite being grossly over-qualified for being a regular agent, upon graduation from the FBI Academy, he didn't start out as a Supervisory Special Agent, he started out as a new Agent/Trainee and worked up from there, same as everyone else. Bill Gates did not start out as founder of Microsoft his very first job. He too worked for other people before starting that company. And now, despite being the richest man in the world, he still has "bosses" that he must report to...Namely the Board of Directors and his shareholders.

If you have a good Guidance Councilor in school, he/she will tell you that getting a degree is the key that unlocks the gate to to the path that gets you the dream job. Without it, you won't even get in the ballpark, but with it there will still be some walking to get there.

Aaron

There's a difference between being BLUNT, and being RUDE.

There's also a difference between being blunt with useful information that I inquired about, and being blunt with useless attacks on my view of working in the business sector.

Jinro I found these on google ..Quite a few interesting sites on being a Helicopter pilot. FAQ's about health issues etc too in one link...

I think these guys giving you advice have your best interest at heart...Listen to them.They know what they are saying.. <_<

http://www.northernhelicopters.com/faq.php#01

This second link , if you read it all even tells you how to do your resume etc towards the bottom of the link..Very useful etc.

http://www.avjobs.com/careers/detail.asp?RecID=105

and lastly....

http://www.helicopterpage.com/html/faq.html

Edited by HOLMES

It kind of sounds like you are one of the many who enter school with one plan then find the job outlook to be less of a match than expected. Nothing wrong there many of us have done that and you can always change majors, I changed majors 3 times before I found one that stuck.

If it is the cubicle and neck tie that has you worked up there are lots of good outdoor-ish careers available, neck tie not required. :thumbsup:

The hard part is finding out they exist, I've spent the last 15 years in forest firefighting by accident, I thought I was signing up to build trails and camp grounds. :tumble:

If it is what you want to do, make it happen. If you are passionate about flying helicopters, who cares if you are flying sewage from point A to point B?

I agree with everyone else that you'll have to probably take on alot of non-flying duties until you work into more flight time. So, you'll need to be square with that, and if you are though, then start checking into things.

I think what most of the guys here are trying to say is that you will be paying your dues in a major way (especially with the economy and with the pilots that are about to get out of the military with the draw down). Do some soul searching on that front, and if you're cool with it (for a number of years from the sounds of it) then pursue this line. If you aren't ok with it (nothing wrong with that), then look for something else.

John

Anybody who can make a living as an entry level pilot in the US has my undying respect. The system in the US is so stacked against you it's incredible. If you don't get your training in the military, *all* the decks are stacked against you. I wouldn't even remotely consider rotary wing if I were trying to make it as a civilian pilot. There are a lot of ex-military guys who are going to be the preferred candidate for any job, and don't forget that given the current budget climate, there are likely to be a lot more of them coming out of the military in the next few years. That means a glut on top of a crappy economy on top of much more and better experience than you'll have.

Fixed wing - it's a great job if you can manage to nail the one dream job. I know a guy who paid for all his own tickets about four years ago, and landed a gig with a company flying an MU-2. But that happens to about .00000002% of people. The rest go on to glamorous careers flying for the regionals (after several years of flight instructing making about $1.70 an hour and risking life and limb -literally). That's great, but it's not a ticket to the majors like it used to be. And you'll be lucky to make $12-15k your first couple of years. If you want your eyes opened about flying commercially, check out a documentary called "Flying Cheap". You'll think twice about it.

I hate to join the chorus of cold blankets, but the hard reality is, if you're not ex-military, civilian aviation is a VERY risky way to try to make a living. Been there, done that. You'll always be at the beckon call of some nitwit, you'll always be subject (first and most) to the vagaries of the economy, you'll be in an industry that has a long history of treating its people like they were door mats (ask former Piedmont pilots about their retirement plans...). Sure, line pilots for the big boys make some impressive salaries, but how much would you have to spend (student loans?) to get there? And those payments will come due as soon as you're through with your tickets. As a CFI, trying to live and make payments on a loan of hundreds of dollars a month will be next to impossible.

Can it be done? Sure, it can be done. It depends on how much you want it and (more importantly) how much you're willing to put up with to get there. Unless you end up being self employed though, you'll always have to deal with "the man" to some degree or other. It's part of life.

Advice of one who's tried two different times to make a go of civilian aviation... I liked to eat better than I liked to fly. That's the bottom line.

PS: I know nothing other that what you stated in your OP about your medical conditions, but even if you can get an unrestricted 1st class medical certificate, don't think an employer won't hold "potential" problems against you. They will. If nothing else it would be a tie-breaker against you.

Edited by Jennings

Jinro,

The advise you're getting here is right on. It may sound pessimistic and critical to you, not what you want to hear, but aviation is not forgiving to those who are naive and nor should it be. I too have buried friends along the way.

Should you be able to get into this as a career, you will have live, eat, breathe and sh!t aviation. Day-in and Day-out. In other words you have to have the passion to live the dream and find a way to put up with all the BS that goes with it.

Ask yourself this, can you live on Ramen Noodles for the next few years? No joke. That's what you're getting into. My first regional airline job was paying me $12,500 a year and I was the low time guy in class with 2200 hours at the time. You'll be lucky to get a job at 1500 hours in a tired Robbie spotting for tuna. Sounds glamourous now... wait until you actually have to do it.

You'll do everything you can to fly now and log your time to get that dream flying job, only to do everything you can to get out of flying once you land your dream job. That statement probably won't make sense to you now, but in time it will.

Don't lose sight of your dream, but understand the reality.

Good luck

PS: I know nothing other that what you stated in your OP about your medical conditions, but even if you can get an unrestricted 1st class medical certificate, don't think an employer won't hold "potential" problems against you. They will. If nothing else it would be a tie-breaker against you.

I've actually had that happen, despite the fact that I'm fairly certain there are laws against it.

If it's your dream, go for it. Ain't going to hit a home run unless you swing the bat.

If only the cost of buying the bat were cheaper. I have all the time in the world to pursue a career like this, I just don't have the money.

Ask yourself this, can you live on Ramen Noodles for the next few years? No joke. That's what you're getting into.

Well in that case, probably not. That's the fastest way to me getting a liver transplant.

If only the cost of buying the bat were cheaper. I have all the time in the world to pursue a career like this, I just don't have the money.

Excuses don't make that dream come any closer. If you have all the time in the world then get a 2nd and 3rd job. If places ain't hiring, up and move to Dakota and work the oil fields out there. Get that thinking outta of your head and shoot for the stars. If you don't make it, settle for the moon and dwell on the fact that you actually gave it a shot instead of it only being some pipe dream. Life's to short for someone not to do what they want to do. Nothing in life worth having comes easy, go get it.

<...>

The attitude shown by you in some of the posts above, "Thanks for the pessimistic, less-than-helpful side of things. You make me feel oh so much better" being one example, will take you right into the unemployed pilot line...and from there most likely into a cubicle somewhere. There are thousands of unemployed pilots looking for work...and being a sarcastic wise *** isn't going to make you stand out in a good way.

When I ask for help, and I receive abrasive, not so helpful, somewhat rude comments that don't answer my question at all, I can't help but to reply in kind. Taiidan's comments had no valuable information whatsoever and were pure put-downs. <...>

Of all the things Helidriver wrote, you choose to comment on THAT? :blink: