Any helicopter pilots here?

You know, despite the slight verbal tennis game between the players ( ie, back & forth), I actually find this thread to be useful. Many of the experienced flyers & industry players in this forum are telling it like it is and I like reading about their experiences and what a prospective flyer has to go through. If anything, I've found a new found respect for helicopter pilots. Good work, gentlemen. :salute:

And this is one issue I have with college. They get you in the door saying "this degree will get you this job" or some other nonsense, then when you're about to graduate you find out it was all bulls__t.

When I ask for help, and I receive abrasive, not so helpful, somewhat rude comments that don't answer my question at all, I can't help but to reply in kind. Taiidan's comments had no valuable information whatsoever and were pure put-downs.

Everything I said was reality, and echoed by others. There was NOTHING personal in it. I wouldn't exactly say you have been the most tactful either, talking about "not wearing a monkey suit, corporate slave etc." If someone had maybe shared a little reality with you before you started college, maybe you wouldn't be complaining about finding out all too late that "it was all bulls__t"

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
If someone had maybe shared a little reality with you before you started college, maybe you wouldn't be complaining about finding out all too late that "it was all bulls__t"

College should be giving students "a little reality", but they don't because then they lose students and then money. I have major issues with education in America, and I'm just going to leave it at that.

I have major issues with education in America...

From you attitude displayed here, you have more major issues than just that. It is not the colleges' fault that you don't know what reality is, but yours. Take your head out of the sand and stop expecting to have everything handed to you. You still have to work for what you get. This seems to be a major problem with most of the young people today. They want to step out of school and start a six figure job along with all the benefits from day one. Sorry, it doesn't work like that.

Edited by HeavyArty
From you attitude displayed here, you have more major issues than just that. It is not the colleges' fault that you don't know what reality is, but yours. Take your head out of the sand and stop expecting to have everything handed to you. You still have to work for what you get. This seems to be a major problem with most of the young people today. They want to step out of school and start a six figure job along with all the benefits from day one. Sorry, it doesn't work like that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, college is the one that keeps our heads in the sand and leads us to believe that we can start a six figure job from day one. It's how they attract students and how they make money off of them. Ever see the commercials for ITT Tech? I don't even know why I'm wasting my time reiterating it, since most of the people here are well versed in reality and will not and can not understand the current situation at my college, or even in my city. Nor can they understand the current situation with myself and my life.

Now I'm tired of armchair psychiatrists who don't even know me attacking my attitude. You don't know me. You don't know my "attitude". You don't know what my college teaches (and I'll tell you one thing, it ain't "reality"). You're making assumptions based on bread crumbs of someone's life posted on the internet.I'm tired of it. Sorry for being me. Maybe it is my fault for not having a good grasp of reality now that I've been away from my parents for all of 8 months. But it sure as hell isn't my fault for being raised in a sheltered family, being lied to by high school advisors, college advisors, and by the education system in general. It isn't my fault my body is so damn defective I've had more colonoscopies than a 50 year old with colon cancer and my opportunities are limited. So get off my back.

To those who provided much information and insight, I thank you, and will keep this information in mind for the future, should I ever make enough money to pursue this, and sorry for wasting everyone else's time with my "attitude".

I bid adieu to this thread.

Edited by Jinro

You know, this dude asked for help and many experienced people went out of their way to give him an honest opinion of what the real world is like. His attitude is a problem, and he was told that in direct terms in order to get the message across. But he does not want to hear that.

He has issues with his circumstance. Not our fault. Thinks education system is jacked, working in a monkey suit is jacked, doesn't want to work with kids, etc. Everything is negative.

He was completely unappreciative of our efforts. He has no chance of accomplishing anything substantial until he changes his way of thinking and grows up. Life isn't always fair. If you get dealt some bad cards, don't use them as an excuse not to accomplish your goals, use them as a reason to work harder.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, college is the one that keeps our heads in the sand and leads us to believe that we can start a six figure job from day one. It's how they attract students and how they make money off of them.

Then Quit you won't be the first person to drop out of college, no one is holding a gun to your head. Freaking leave. You actually admit you are being duped, and keep going with it? And thats their fault? Have the balls to leave. They will keep providing the service, so as long as you keep paying for it. I have done plenty of school and am under no illusions and never was-- I go to college not to make 6 figures, but to keep from pumping gas for a living. Come home stinking like fuel and all the sudden a nice "monkey suit" in an office sounds pretty nice.

Go out and experience reality if you feel it "isn't being taught" to your liking. Go out into the real world, its a free country, no one is stopping you. Colleges don't have guards and prison bars last I checked. "Breakout" by walking out the door and not coming back. Know someone who did exactly that: left, enlisted, was in Vietnam only a few months later. Still happy he went to Vietnam and not to college he wouldn't change a thing.

You don't like Tennessee? move to one of the other 49 states. still not happy? Go to Canada. Don't like that? Try Europe. Its a free country and you are aren't taking advantage of that, you seem to think the Politburu is running your life. Its not - you are. Parents forcing you? Tell Ma and Pa thanks but no thanks, again you won't be the first.

That whole "you don't know me!" garbage is the same argument my sister used to use at age 13. Yes we don't know you but the you that youre presenting is none too flattering and points to a problem with every system you encounter What is the common denominator here? how come its always the systems fault? and not just one... but all of them?

:sunrevolves:

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

I stopped going to college. And I'm a regional airline pilot. A LOT of potential coming up in the near (5-10years) future. Don't tell me it can't be done. I'm a colorblind first officer supporting a wife and 2 kids. I fly my *** off everyweek and bid high time lines to make ends meet. But life is a continuous journey of upgrading your resume. I'm flying my *** off because I need time to be competitive for my next job. By the way, I was hired with 230 hours. Total Time. Flying for 3 years with the airline, that includes a furlough of 10months. I have 1757 hours total time now.

Put that in your sorry pipe and smoke it. Want more help? PM me. My best source of info was from members on this site. I'm more than willing to pass on their advice, and my experience to help you.

The bottom line is this: I don't have a college degree, but when United or Delta or American looks at my resume and sees that I have 4,000 hours, and 3800 is jet turbine, I may not be the BEST candidate, but I'll be competitive. If I don't get it, its not because I'm not qualified.

Aaron

PS. Cruising North America at .82Mach at FL400 is more fun that it sounds, and more boring than you'd ever imagine at the same time. But I wouldn't do anything else.

Edited by jester292

One more thing, if you can get a First Class Medical, the only person keeping you from a job or career is yourself. There will be opportunities. Maybe not tomorrow. Maybe not until 10 years from now, but you won't be applying if you don't have the license when the door opens. You'll only be kicking yourself.

Aaron

Dude, if you can't handle honest replies to your questions by people in the know, how are you going to react to an instructor pilot screaming at you?

QFT!!!

It's been a while since I last posted here in ARC, but I cruise the forums daily. When I saw this thread I had to read it. I have a commercial license and over 2,000 hours in turbine helicopters flying law enforcement. Some great information was given to this kid and nothing I read painted a different picture from the truth. After reading his replies and excuses for his problems, I can't help but wonder if he sides with the OWS crowd because everything he said sounds just like one of those protesters. I hated to see you guys waist your time answering his questions only for him to reply, "Oh whoa is me, but it's not my fault." Until he looks in the mirror and sees the real road block in his life, he's not going to succeed. Having an instructor yelling at him is the least of his worries IF he makes it that far with that attitude. Most of you guys that fly are familiar with CRM. Can you see yourselves setting in a cockpit with that attitude next to you? Not me.

I was wondering for a short time if I was the only one that perceived him as a very spoiled brat, but thanks to everyone for pointing out the OP's attitude is his major malfunction.

My wife got her Masters in English because she'd always wanted to teach at the college level. It took two years of teaching at two schools (both University of Wisconsin branches) for her to finally give it up in frustration because so many of the students had attitudes like this fellow's. Didn't want to attend class, do the papers, study for the exams, and they turned in work that wasn't up to sixth grade standards, much less than college level, then cried to the dean about how unfair my wife was when she failed them. And the worst part? The deans at the two different schools she taught at actually suggested to my wife that she reconsider the students' grades! She swears she'll never go back to teaching she's so disillusioned. I saw some of the papers those kids turned in, they were absolutely pathetic. Poor grammar, disorganized thinking...

Ironically there recently was a letter to the editor in our local paper from a former dean (from a different department) at one of the schools where my wife taught, and she had actually resigned her position because of pressure from above her level to give good grades to kids who couldn't actually hack the program.

Somehow I picture the OP here as having exactly that same attitude, wanting the grades without the work.

Scott W.

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Dude, if you can't handle honest replies to your questions by people in the know, how are you going to react to an instructor pilot screaming at you?

I agree ...as President Theodore Roosevelt is quoted as saying the following :

.... " THE MOST IMPORTANT SINGLE INGREDIENT IN THE FORMULA OF SUCCESS IS KNOWING HOW TO GET ALONG WITH PEOPLE."

and " THE MOST PRACTICAL KIND OF POLITICS IS THE POLITICS OF DECENCY "

HOLMES :coolio:

I don't really think college does much to help most folks who go in life. It seems to me it is really only a small percentage of people who go to college who really get anything worthwhile out of it. Personally, going into the US Army right out of high school taught me all the reality and responsibility I could have ever learned as a young man. As I like to tell people, the Army was my college.

Coming out of high school, I think more people would get a more useful experience out of military service or an apprenticeship in a trade. Or, even going to a vocational high school (I went to one and took drafting, it helped me get started in the field I am currently in). But continuing education is drummed up so much by our society that everybody thinks that they have no future without it and everybody wants to go to college. College just isn't for everybody, not matter what conventional wisdom states.

Just my personal opinion for what it is worth.

I don't really think college does much to help most folks who go in life. It seems to me it is really only a small percentage of people who go to college who really get anything worthwhile out of it. Personally, going into the US Army right out of high school taught me all the reality and responsibility I could have ever learned as a young man. As I like to tell people, the Army was my college.

Coming out of high school, I think more people would get a more useful experience out of military service or an apprenticeship in a trade. Or, even going to a vocational high school (I went to one and took drafting, it helped me get started in the field I am currently in). But continuing education is drummed up so much by our society that everybody thinks that they have no future without it and everybody wants to go to college. College just isn't for everybody, not matter what conventional wisdom states.

Just my personal opinion for what it is worth.

Military makes a HUGE difference in maturity level. I never went in, but I teach college at both a traditional college and at a online school geared toward military folks. The military freshmen take care of their stuff with very few excuses and are much deeper thinkers than the civilian kids. Granted, most of my civilian freshmen are 18 and 19, while my military freshmen are in their early 20s, but it's more than just being a few years older.

John

Edited by pastafarian

I'm 30 years old, married with three kids, and trying to go through college right now. Personally, I'm glad that I'm a non-traditional student. I know exactly what I want to do, I know exactly how to get there, and I know I've got my family depending on me to get there. I've had a full-time job since I was sixteen (summers obviously while in school) and have "been around the block". I've lived in California for two years, and Alaska for a year and a half, and had lots of life experience in the 10.5 years I've been out of High School.

My recommendation to anyone would be to take a break from school for a little while after High School and "live a little". Experience life for yourself out in the real world for a time, get a job, live away from home, join the Military...Whatever. Then decide if College is right for you. As was pointed out, it's not for everyone, but if it is right for you, then you'll be organized and prepared, and no one can blow sunshine up your @$$, because you'll have been out in reality for a time and know how it really works.

I can't tell you how many 18 year old Freshman that I've seen that are in school to party and blow Daddy's money while they figure out (or don't) what to do with themselves...And four years and countless thousands of dollars later, they've got nothing to show for it. It's a whole different story when you are working close to a full-time job, maintaining decent grades, have a family and realizing that every penny you spend on school is 6.8 pennies that you are going to have to pay Uncle Sam back when you are done with it.

My suggestion to the OP is to change your attitude, open your eyes, and prepare yourself for the Real World by living in it for a time. Then you'll see that the advice given here is correct. We do have your best interests at heart here. You want to do this, you'll need to be prepared. We've given you some of the tools to prepare yourself with. What you do with them is up to you. Yes, I don't know you, but with the attitude that you have shown here as my only indication, I'm going to say that you are not going to go very far in life.

Aaron

Apparently, the kid got a bum rap with his genetics, which is giving him health issues. Not much can be done about it. Either live with it, or dont.

While I am not a pilot, the advice given in this thread is true of alot of other professions in the world, and so far, I havent seen anyone say anything that isnt true in one form or another. Heck, I thought I knew it all, so I left home at 16. Later, after a few years in college, I decided it wasnt what I wanted to do. And while I dont make the money to drive a new car, Im thankful for the skills I have obtained that led me to the job I am in now. I am supporting a wife and 3 kids. It isnt easy. And while my wife is considering going for her Masters, no one is banging on the door offering her a job...

You make your own opportunities.

If you dislike corporations, people, kids, suits and education, may I suggest that you become a truck driver. You can live in the truck, roll around the country, and never have to talk to anyone.

Edited by Spook498

If you dislike corporations, people, kids, suits and education, may I suggest that you become a truck driver. You can live in the truck, roll around the country, and never have to talk to anyone.

A truck just might have some of those pesky plunger-style buttons though.

I really don't have much interest in commercial fixed wing. I can't really explain why, I just don't. The only thing I can explain is that the cockpit setup is awkward for me. Yolk instead of stick, throttle quadrant on the right, which means I have to control the aircraft with my left when making power adjustments (I'm right hand dominant and prefer the throttle be on the left). Those plunger-style throttles you see in piston aircraft drive me nuts.

So find something with a different cockpit setup. Don't want a plunger throttle? Fly a Piper Cherokee. Don't like the yoke? Find something with a joystick...they're out there. BTW, I'm RH dominant too......couldn't care less which side the throttle's on, as long as it gets me off the ground.

If you want to do it, find a way, don't make excuses.

I don't think there needs be any more added to this post, but i couldn't go on without saying THANKYOU to all the guys in the commercial aviation industry who posted.

I dont know what the aviation world is like for the rest of the planet, but here in Australia it's a painfull, tedious, thankless and stressfull profession.

If you're lucky.

I'm only a lowly 'black hander', but have planety of friends going through the commercial pilot 'motion' (most, doing the fixed wing thing), and the sad truth is that aviation is no free ride. It's sacrificing just about EVERYTHING to achieve that goal; money, social life, anything shiny and new. All the things kids these days hold dearest.

My favourite saying about the industry:

How do you make a small fortune in aviation?

Start out with a Large fortune.

BoomTish.

Thanks again posters. It's a shame that this industry isn't as glamorous as the general public makes it out to be, but we all know why we're here. And why we'll always keep coming back ;)

Cheers

Denzil

You misunderstand. I don't like wearing a monkey suit. I don't like economics. I don't like marketing. I don't like management (unless I'm managing a machine). I don't like accounting. I don't like cubicles. I don't like the idea of "karoshi" (death from overwork). I don't like the idea of kissing up to some hack who makes six figures. I don't like the idea of living a miserable life. That's what I don't like about business and corporations.

In the end, everything goes hand-in-hand with corporations, so your point is moot.

Nice goals you have set for yourself - having all the benefits of a life of work without actually doing the work to get there. The only place that success comes before work is in the dictionary. There is simply no exception to that.

I think I worked as hard as most do and while I doubt I kissed up to any six figure "hack", I sure did learn a lot from them. When I graduated from my program, I knew a lot of theory and how to write an exam. But I sure as s$%t did not know how to be good at what I chose to do. So I took my mandated entry level position and I worked. It was all to my benefit ultimately - every hour I put in was more experience and knowlege for me. When I reached a point where I was prevented from going further, I moved on to a place that let me grow. I had to do this a number of times.

Oddly, you and I have the same view of private corporations but for completely different reasons. I grew tired of my role in that sector as well as the constant uncertainty of the whims of the endless new 'management teams'. Luckily for me, I have been able to find a very good job working for an organization that does a lot of good. I really like what I do and I feel that my work actually matters beyond making rich people richer. I am well paid and I work very reasonable hours.

But I tell you this - I would never have gotten this great job without years of investing in myself (ie, getting my experience) and doing the work to get there.

The only thing that I would recommend is to choose something that you really enjoy. Because to be successful at something, you do have to work for it. The only things we enjoy working towards are things we love. In my experience, its those who have a passion for what they do who are never without work and are successful.

As for you right now - why not try working for an NGO? There are 1000s of opportunities for working in all sorts of places in the world. Most charities and NGOs are not looking for a lot of experience or a specific area of study - they are looking for driven people who want to help those less fortunate. You will get paid, you sure won't have to wear a suit and you will be helping others while gaining a better understanding of yourself and the world around you.

But it won't be easy.

I dont know what the aviation world is like for the rest of the planet, but here in Australia it's a painfull, tedious, thankless and stressfull profession.

If you're lucky.

Unfortunately the aviation indusrty is that way in the United States too. I would not recommend a career in aviation to anyone unless you are passionate about flying and aircraft. Best part about the job is once the parking brake is set and the aircraft is chocked you can leave the job at the gate.