Scratchbuilders Speak out

Here's the deal....the Academy 1:48 F-15E (OIF new release kit; nice though it has some shortcomings) in the rear office is missing the Lantirn control sticks. I have the form down as to what they should look like, here's the catch what material would you use to scratchbuild them. I've tried sprue, but when I get down to the main column, not the control top, it gets too thin or too warm and either breaks off or wilts under pressure. I need something that will hold its form so I can then sand out the top or add it later with the main column holding that unique curve. Yeah I'm being inexpensive (cheap), it beats forking out cash for and Aires product or eduards set. Which if no viable solution is found I may have to cry "uncle" and order one. I'm going for accuracy without breaking the bank. :OMG-OMG: is this the onset of AMS :o .

A couple of ideas, hope this helps:

1. Plastic rod from Evergreen, file one end of the rod into the shape you want and then detach it.

2. Cut out some small pieces of thin styrene sheet and glue them on top of one another to form a larger rectangle of appropiate size (or get a sheet that matches the thickness you want, up to you, although I find it easier to add thin pieces together instead of sanding down a thick one). Draw the outline of the stick on the rectangle and then cut away the extra bits before sanding it to shape.

Copper wire maybe? It bends easily, holds its shape, is strong enough to do some fiddling, and you can find it in different gauges to get the size you need. Most craft stores will have it. All you'd have to do is make your control head out of plastic, drill a small hole in the bottom, and stick the wire(bent to shape)in with super glue.

Are you sculpting with a dental burr or something? If so, then I suggest a blob of well cured epoxy putty to work on. The stuff absorbs all kinds of punishment and won't melt, chip, break, or anything else.

Use a paper clip, drill a hole the diameter of the wire into your plastic, run the wire into it with a bit of glue, then carve out your shape into the plastic.

Curt