Hasegawa 1/48 Bf 109G-2

I started work on Hasegawa's classic 1/48 Bf 109. It will represent Gunther Rall's G-2 of 8./Jg52. According to his logbook, Rall first flew "Black 13" into battle on August 31st, 1942. Between September 16th and October 6th 1942, all of Rall's 35 combat missions were flown with "Black 13", and during this period he increased his victory score from 76 to 91. Rall flew "Black 13" in action as late as mid-January 1943, after which he changed to regularly flying "Black 1". Rall's final victory total of 275 aircraft shot down is the 3rd highest in the history of air combat.

Rall1.jpg

Rall5.jpg

Rall6.jpg

Two profiles.

Rall7.jpg

Rall.gif

I started with the cockpit. Base coat is RLM 02. Details painted with flat black, hilighted with a silver pencil, and given a dark sludge wash. The pilot figure is from Tamiya's 109, and modified to fit in the Hase pit arround the cannonn housing.

109model001-1.jpg

109model003.jpg

109model004.jpg

109model005-1.jpg

109model006-1.jpg

Moving on the fuselage, the first step is attaching the engine cowling.

109Model001.jpg

The cowl doors fit okay, but the assembly is pretty weak. I used scrap plastic to brace the cowling.

109Model006.jpg

Here is the unmodified half.

109Model005.jpg

Next is attaching the the tailwheel in the up position. I used a wad of Miliput.

modelpics005.jpg

I then closed up the fuselage.

modelpics007.jpg

Disaster strikes! Drops of glue run onto the outer surface creating some divits. The pics don't really do justice to the damage.

modelpics008.jpg

modelpics010.jpg

modelpics013.jpg

modelpics014.jpg