Well I'm finally getting the time to jump in.

Smer boxing of the Heller C.714 in 1/72.

The 714 was intended to be an inexpensive fighter based on a series of 1930s racers that would not stress supply lines.

It quickly proved to be inadequate and production was cancelled early in 1940. Completed aircraft were used to equip the Warsaw Squadron which was made up of Polish pilots who had fled to France in 1939. A small number were also sent to Finland during the Winter War. These aircraft were found to be completely unsuitble to the Finns and saw limited use.

When Germany invaded France the concerns about the aircraft were proven and it was ordered out of combat service. Without replacement aircraft, the Polish pilots of the Warsaw Squadron ignored the order and continued to fly combat missions. Despite its poor performance the Poles managed to have some success claiming 12 victories for a loss of 18 aircraft (9 in the air, 9 on the ground).

The kit is pretty typical of a 1/72 kit from the 70s. Very modest interior detail and simple construction with about 20 parts.

C7141.jpg

Edited by Aaronw

I have the basic bits together. Behind the pilot there is a pair of windows that run back along the fuselage similar to the P-36 and P-40. The kit left this as a completely open area into the fuselage. I boxed this area in with some sheet styrene.

As can be seen there was a need for putty along the seams, but not too bad.

C7142.jpg

Edited by Aaronw

Not one of the better Heller kits I've built, but it is coming along. The canopy has turned out to be a real pain. I had to build up the area behind the cockpit, then found the canopy is fully enclosed. Now I'm having to carefully cut away a piece between the two side windows, I just love cutting clear plastic. :unsure:

Paint and some decals applied. Unfortunately I lost track of the line between the vertical stabilizer and rudder and got the tail flash on at a funny angle. Oh well I guess that is why there is a back corner to display cases.

C7143.jpg

I don't think the decal would survive repositioning. The decals are rather fragile and responded well to microsol, so it sucked into the detail nicely. I think I'd have to scrape them off before they would move.

It doesn't look too bad from a distance but up close it is quite obviously leaning forward and too far forward. The kit also offers decals for a Finn aircraft. Although it was only used as a trainer in Finland there are not a lot of Finn aircraft kits, so I may buy another to do in Finn marking and use the French tail decals to fix this one at a later date.

• 4 weeks later...

This kit is definately not as nice as the MS406, but it is an odd little plane and it will be nice to have in my collection. It could definately be spruced up but after fighting with the canopy I just wanted to get it done.

C7144.jpg

C7145.jpg

C7146.jpg