The end of an 18 year habit!!

Happy to report it's been two months today since Lisa or I have had a cigarette!! YAY!!!

We went cold turkey with the help of those electric Cig2O vapor sticks.... no withdrawals what so ever from this 2 pack a day/18 year habit!!

Forgot how good it feels to breath normally!

Thanks... I'm serious, we weren't looking to quit; a friend who runs the little store where we bought our smokes handed me two of those starter kits two months ago and said "Try Them, they're on the house!"

We did, and by golly the craving just disappeared; the tiny hits of nicotine in the Cig2O's satisfied the need, in our minds anyhow...then after a couple weeks we laid the Cig20's down, and just like that it was behind us. <:-)

Good show!

I know it's a tough habit to break. My wife is now smoke-free for almost 19 years. I just wish my late mother (emphezema) and aunt (throat cancer) had quit... The only positive is that both our kids were so affected by the sight of my aunt's tracheotomy (when they were about ages 9 and 10) that they didn't take up smoking in their teens.

Being the son of two heavy-smoking parents, I was revolted by smoke and have never touched a cigarette. I have no direct experience about how addictive they are, but having seen some very strong-willed people struggle and fail to quit, I tip my hat to those who manage to kick the habit. Your body will thank you forever!

ALF

Congrats! You should be proud. That's a huge personal achievement and I can certainly relate. I quit almost 10 months ago after smoking for 23 years(1 pack a day). I wasn't planning on quiting - I just got tired of paying $6/pack so I went cold turkey and have managed to be smoke-free since. You'll be surprised how much $$$ you'll be saving. The first week was the hardest for me, but it got easier and easier each day. I was concerned about gaining weight so I took on a new set of habits. I've been religiously exercising 4-5 days/wk with P90X and Cross Fit training for the last 9 months. I changed my diet as well - I haven't had a hamburger, pizza, fries, soda, beer, salts & sweets for the last 9 months and still going strong. I don't how long I can keep this up but whatever I'm doing seems to be working and more importantly you'll live a lot longer. Keep it up!

:cheers:

Way to go Oldhooker! :thumbsup:

I too quit cold turky after 18 years of smoking.... I never used any nicotine substitutes.

I bought a car with the money I saved from smoking :P (which turned out to be quite a bit more expensive than the cancer sticks and made me gain 20 kg in a year :P)

I´ve been smoke free for 3 years now.

You can only quit smoking when you really want it yourself, got to have the motivation to quit! It´s hard to make someone quit by nagging, that most often gets the opposite result!

Congrats to you guys. I smoked for 22yrs and about the last two years I was over two packs a day , I've been smoke free for Ten years now I did the Zyban thing and it worked,but really I think my body just told me enough was enough already, again way to go guys!

Thank you all, VERY much, and especially those who have already beat the dragon!

It is indeed a powerful dragon to beat, and one that doesn't seem worth it at the time,

but wow, to be able to breath without wheezing, sleep through the night, taste food better,

smell better.... and the underlying thoughts of; "I've came this far without them, I'd be

a fool to even get near them again!"

And yes... Money, money, money, meney!!! We were spending $390/month just on cigarettes...

can you believe that.... that fact alone makes me sick when I start adding it all up; we were

just burning it up! Of course the price of cigarettes has changed in 18 years, but it would

average out somewhere around $75,000 has went to cigarettes exclusively!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations to the both of you. I know the feeling, I gave up a 32 year Copenhagen addiction 15 months ago. I was blowing through a can a day at $5.00 bucks a can. Now all that money can be used for more important things in life than ending mine. Again congrats and stay strong.

Dave Fassett

Congrats!! Hard to do but well worth it. Stopped after 20yrs of at its worse 3pks a day of Export A plains(no filters!!) Food tasted really "different" for a while after quitting, been 16 years. Hate to admit it, but second hand smoke can still stir old cravings.

Good for both of you Frank!

My mother quit smoking several years ago with the help of something called Zyban. I have no doubts she'd be in her grave by now had she not stopped when she did.

Cigarettes never did anything for me personally. Back in high school I had a drag or two when some tried to get me started. I just handed the things back to them after a puff or two; whatever it was doing for them, it wasn't doing anything for me.

When I see how difficult it is for some people to give up smoking, I consider myself fortunate in the extreme that I could never take to the things.

Congratulations again to both of you.

I've been clean almost 2.5 years' Dr. Gave me 3 months worth of doses for Zyban. Quit after the first week. My wife still smokes though but not as much and not in the house or the car.

All this after a 26 year habit.

Stay strong, every once in a while you will get a slight urge to have a puff..... I carry gum and pop a stick, seems to take my mind off it.

Emil