Half of Koblenz Germany Evacuated

Yeah I just saw this short link on Yahoo....

http://news.yahoo.com/city-evacuates-45-000-defuse-massive-wwii-bomb-121824087.html

Sounds scary...

You know that link that Spectre gave us said that more are likely to be found why don't they look for them if they think their there???? Seams to make sense to me...

Edited by jimz66

Our local TV news showed this, probably with supplied footage from one of the international news orgs which to me was totally stuffed when they described it as a 4000lb "Blockbuster" & then proceeded to show a Lanc dropping a Tallboy, footage from the "History Channel" maybe, its about their level of accuracy.

Steve.

Our local TV news showed this, probably with supplied footage from one of the international news orgs which to me was totally stuffed when they described it as a 4000lb "Blockbuster" & then proceeded to show a Lanc dropping a Tallboy, footage from the "History Channel" maybe, its about their level of accuracy.

Steve.

Be happy they didn't show a B-17

Be happy they didn't show a B-17

You'd have heard me from over there if they had. :D I watched the item again on a later bulletin after I'd posted above, they didn't show the Lanc drop again but the rest of the bulletin was from ABC. My sons are always telling me to chill about such inaccuracies, especially on the History channel, their arguement is that 95% of viewers don't know the difference so it doesn't matter. I reckon like hell it doesn't, but that might just be me being a bit anal about it all. :(

Steve.

You'd have heard me from over there if they had. :D I watched the item again on a later bulletin after I'd posted above, they didn't show the Lanc drop again but the rest of the bulletin was from ABC. My sons are always telling me to chill about such inaccuracies, especially on the History channel, their arguement is that 95% of viewers don't know the difference so it doesn't matter. I reckon like hell it doesn't, but that might just be me being a bit anal about it all. :(

Steve.

I suspect most of the time they use the footage that is closest to what they need. If you're using historical footage....perhaps sometimes accurate historical footage doesn't exist. Hard to say.

I dislike seeing WW2 movies shot in the 60s's using US tanks from the 60's painted with white German crosses. I recall seeing these movies as a kid and being amazed that the German WW2 armor was so advanced....it looked like the then new current US Armor from the '60's and '70's. :lol:

I always chuckle when people complain about the wrong footage being shown. You have to understand that, unless they shot the footage themselves, news agencies are typically restricted to archive footage from Reuters and the BBC (which they have to pay for - the more in-depth the search, the more expensive it is). For a story as minor as this one, a news editor isn't going to spend a lot of time and money making sure all the footage is 100% accurate - close enough is good enough. The fact that they showed a Lancaster dropping a Tallboy means they went a bit more in-depth in their searching than you would normally expect.

Had the bomb gone off, killed a load of people and levelled half of Koblenz, then we would have got footage of Blockbusters being dropped on the news, as it would then be a bigger story with more money thrown at it.

Vince

footage is probably limited too by what rights they can get it permissioned for and the amount of time they have to research it. even if they have some of the best researchers, if they can't get it found and permissioned in time then its of no use.

not condoning it, just point out some things they have to go through to get it.

Probably not much left after a bomber drops one of these let alone people with a movie camera.

Yep . Unless they dont blow up :whistle:

btw google news has 10+ articles about this

Edited by Neo