Buttonhead rivets

So I came up with an idea today for reproducing buttonheads on the cheap. Question is whether or not it is actually feasible. The idea is to take push pins for tailoring, and using them as fasteners instead of the plastic ones that I cant seem to find anywhere.

Any thoughts on this? I think this is an idea worth exploring, but when it comes down to it, Id rather get some pros ideas first before I do something stupid to an expensive model.

I could see them being useful as things like the dzus fasteners or screws for cowlings and certain panels. As rivets...they might be too big. Like Netz said, it would depend on scale. On the other hand, it can't hurt to see if it looks good! Try it on a section of a scrap kit or a bit of plastic first.

What was your exact subject for your idea?

There are the beading tools that produce a round hole, but I find them to be expensive, if you like that idea but not the cost you could make one with stainless tubing, or hypodermic needle, just find the diameter that best suits the subject then with a grinding stone taper the edges of the tube, once done chuck it up into a knife handle and twist away.

Curt

Scale is the main issue here.

There are some new products on the market which are decals with raised button head rivets. I've yet to try them but if you have the application, I'm guessing they would save you an enormous amount of time. I think someone built a Disney Nautilus which is covered with button head style rivets, and they used this product to great effect. I couldn't imagine doing this job without a product like that.