Today an aerial shot of Hanau Army Airfield in 1962. If you look closely, you can spot UH-1's, Beavers, CH-34's and CH-37's on the ground. Hanau is about 30km north east of Frankfurt, and the last US troops finally left the barracks in 2007.

fliegerhorstfield3.jpg

Todays pic is of a EC-135H flying over RAF Mildenhall. These airborne command post aircraft were based here as part of Operation Silk Purse. There were 4 of them, and used by USEUCOM.

Boeing_EC-135H_61-0285_Mildenhall.jpg

Todays pic is of a EC-135H flying over RAF Mildenhall. These airborne command post aircraft were based here as part of Operation Silk Purse. There were 4 of them, and used by USEUCOM.

Boeing_EC-135H_61-0285_Mildenhall.jpg

Note how the C-5 down below the tail of the EC-135 is so visible. At Ramstein all the buildings were painted green or brown, and when I was taking flying lessons we always departed to the north and came back from the north. Often the first thing I'd see when we were coming back from 7 or 8 miles out was a white and gray C-5, long before I could see the rest of the base. Once I remember seeing a white and gray C-5 from a long ways out and as we got much closer to the base, maybe two or three miles, I saw there was a Euro-1 C-5 parked right next to it. It really showed just how effective the camouflage was. I regret never taking any photos of the base from the air. Looking at the Google Earth view much has changed. The 526 TFS area used to have parallel taxiways with a nice green grass field between them heading out to the runway. That whole area is now paved over for the C-130s, and a number of TAB-V shelters no longer exist. The engine run pad and a nice French TAB-V where I took a couple of my favorite photos no longer exists, there's a new hangar built on that spot.

Here are the photos, both jets are parked in exactly the same spot on the run pad:

68-0440RamsteinOctober281983ScottRWilson.jpg

68-0444RamsteinSept191985ScottRWilson.jpg

And this photo I collected off the web shows the run pad way back in the distance across that field, above the nose of the Phantom. That whole area in this photo is now paved over:

74-1641.jpg

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Since our mods are still about asleep, putting some inspirational pics in this thread (New Year hangover still lasting? ;)), I'm gonna help 'em and all the participants of this groupbuild a bit.

Lakeneath F-15E Strike Eagle - I took the pics in Aviano AFB on 4th July 2007

f15e_1.jpg

f15e_2.jpg

f15e_3.jpg

• 3 months later...

I bumped into this site the other day. It's a real nice website dedicated to the 38th Tactical Missile Wing at Sembach AB in West Germany. This wing was initially equipped with the Matador missile, and later with the Mace missile untill deactivated in September 1966.

There are lots of photos of personell, equipment, the base, forward locations and the area around the base.

Sembach Missileers