Hi, all.

First off, thanks for looking into our GB.

For the better part of seventy years, American and Canadians played an integral part in defending Europe's security, first from the threat of fascism, and then from Communism. Originally this GB was going to be the United States Air Forces in Europe Group build, timed to coincide with the 70th anniversary of the founding of the 8th Air Force. However on further consideration however, we agreed that it would be an interesting to include all manner of North American participation. A generations of Europeans grew up with the Americans and Canadians present in their community and a generations of American and Canadians were called to serve in Europe. Some never left. There is much to choose from and we encourage you to build tanks, aircraft, even ships if you wish.

So the actual rules are fairly simple. Basically you're free to build any model that was part of a unit deployed in Europe for an extended period of time. Stuff on exercises are not eligible (REFORGER ect.), stuff like Mildenhall Detachments are okay, as are dual assigned units. For ships, the European base must be its home port (like Rota, Spain.) The timeframe is after 1939; the 1st Canadian Division was deployed on January 1st 1940, while the US Forces in UK, the Eight Air Force (the precursor to European Command) was stood up in January 1942. If in doubt, ask. Above all though, have fun.

We do have some prizes too, which we will raffle off at the end of the GB.

Finally, someone has to be the mature one of this bunch... (or at least to ensure that Benner is kept on a short leash) so the mods are Cpoud, Pete and Myself.

Edited by Pete

So 15th air force in Italy not included correct?

That is correct.

While I have nothing against the 15th AF, or the 9th AF, or any of the other commands, I would like to keep it 8th AF only.

I'll explain why.

When I first came with the idea for this GB, I was looking for a good date to start the GB. I looked a bit into the history of USAFE, and found out that the 8th AF was activated on February 1, 1942. The Eight Air Force was later renamed United States Strategic Air Forces in Europe, and ultimatly United States Air Forces in Europe in 1945.

This was good enough for me, as I liked the idea of starting this on February 1 2012, 70 years after activation of the 8th AF. I never really looked into what else was included under the US Strategic Air Forces in Europe, as I liked to keep the focus on the post war period anyway. Later we decided to bring the startdate forward to December 1, basically because February seemed so far away back in August. We also decided to include Canada and their 1 CAD, later 1 CAG, because they basically had the same mission as the US units.

I should have given this more thought, and I apologize for that.

But hey, this does give us the possibility of an MTO GB in the future. :rolleyes:

Ok, now I'm confused. I thought any European based US or Canadian subject was acceptable. Now it looks like there are additional constraints and some European based subjects are excluded?

Nevermind I think I see what you are doing. Even though the 9th and 15th contributed to the war in Southern Europe they were actually based in North Africa so fall outside the GB. When I read that last night I thought you were excluding Southern Europe.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, would the B-47 qualify in this GB?

It would, if you built it as a European deployed example. A few B-47s were temporarily deployed to Europe in the 1950s and 60s: any of those will be acceptable. Wolfpak has a sheet for a few of them in 1/72:

http://www.millcreekconsultants.com/WP72-4.html

http://www.millcreekconsultants.com/WP72-5.html

and in 1/144

http://www.millcreekconsultants.com/WP144-1.html

Hope that helps, and that we see your build soon.

Edited by -Neu-

The kit will be Hasegawa's 1/72 B-47E kit, will use common markings from the kit supplied decals as well as some from a Warbird Decals sheet. Tail number and unit specific markings will be homemade. Only wish I could find a good source for some JATO/RATO bottles.