New Zealand Fire Service Scania

Hi guys,

I've been a firefighter in one brigade or another for almost 11 years now and found a reasonable model of a Scania Crewcab that the NZFS appliances are based on.

It's going to take a lot of work, the entire rear end is going to have to be scratch built as well as a left to right hand drive conversion and extra detailing in the cab.

This is how it started out:

SDC11068.jpg

SDC11069.jpg

And this is what I'm going to try to turn it into:

ERF391d.jpg

ETP599y.jpg

This is how far I've got so far, I've removed the cheap and nasty plastic locker and ladder set up and cut down the framework so I'm left with a flat base to start the pump panel and new lockers

SDC11097.jpg

SDC11078.jpg

thanks for looking

Dean

Starting to take shape. The gap for the pump panel between the lockers and cab looks to be a bit long at this stage, I may have to shorten the chassis a little but I'll keep an eye on it.

SDC11109.jpg

SDC11107.jpg

SDC11106.jpg

SDC11105.jpg

Started lining the individual lockers. The fire service line them with plywood to protect the metalwork so I'm off to the model shop soon to pick up some balsa and more supplies to add some more detail.

Here it is so far:

SDC11115.jpg

SDC11113.jpg

SDC11111.jpg

This is the interior as it came:

SDC11118.jpg

SDC11117.jpg

I'm hoping I can just cut the dash into 3 sections, swap the two sides around and cut the instrument panel off the middle and realign it onto a new piece for the centre section.

Also the bench seat in the back has to go. The NZ fire service only has a crew of 4 on these trucks so only have two seats in the back which incorporate the breathing apparatus in the back rests. I don't think I'll get too carried away there since the rear doors don't open and wont be too visible but I'll see how I go when I get to them

Started detailing the lockers, it's starting to look the part, I'm not too concerned at the gaps as there are slide out trays that fit in front of them. I'll probably make them fixed but either way the gaps will be hidden. I'll try and get the brackets and shelves in tonight before I start my four days back at work tomorrow.

SDC11121.jpg

SDC11123.jpg

SDC11124.jpg

SDC11126.jpg

built and fitted the shelves for the lockers on one side. I'm thinking about leaving the rear locker closed as this truck is a PRT (Pump Rescue Tender) so all the cutting gear and hydraulic pumps are in there. I'm planning on having this in a house fire diorama so in that case that locker wouldn't be used and be left closed. I might leave one closed on the other side too but I'll sort that out later.

SDC11130.jpg

SDC11131.jpg

SDC11135.jpg

SDC11136.jpg

SDC11137.jpg

Thanks wolfgun.

Yeah, it's very limited on what you can find for that sort of thing. hence the reason I'm trying to build one myself.

just a small update today, I started detailing the outside of the lockers. I've just got to make the doors for the BA cylinders and the wheel guard but I'll leave that until it's permanently fitted so I get it in the right place.

SDC11145.jpg

SDC11143.jpg

SDC11144.jpg

Made a bit of progress today, I managed to get the whole locker unit together and closed up. It's really starting to look the part now. I've still got some trimming and sanding to do, especially round the inner wheel arches. I can't wait to start painting and adding the decals. I haven't done the rear part yet, that will be the next job, only one locker in there so won't be too bad but there is still quite a bit of detail to build.

SDC11177.jpg

SDC11181.jpg

SDC11182.jpg

SDC11184.jpg

SDC11186.jpg

TN_ETP599n-2.jpg

Just a small update this time, the combination of hot sunny weather and christmas shopping has eaten into a lot of modelling time. I've started on the back and made the gap for the rear feeder hose locker, will start filling it all in and tidying up after the holidays. Also The beacons turned up from the USA but need to be cut down so there is 3 on each side of the roof. I brought 2 sets so I'll have 2 individual beacons for the rear of the locker compartment.

SDC11198.jpg

SDC11197.jpg

SDC11199.jpg

Done a bit more detailing and cut the beacons up and test fitted them. I used a light grey primer which has shown up a few places I still need to fill and sand a bit more but it's almost ready for painting.

SDC11214.jpg

SDC11215.jpg

SDC11218.jpg

I pulled the cab apart to see how much work will be needed in there, doesn't look too bad. The centre section of the dash board will be the biggest challenge

SDC11207.jpg

SDC11206.jpg

SDC11205.jpg

SDC11203.jpg

Thanks,

Yeah I used to be a volunteer. I started out in Waimangaroa for 12 months then did 5 years in New Brighton but I've been full time at Wellington Airport Fire Service for almost 5 years so far. Where are you?

Started as a volley in Taupo, then I moved down the line so I did time in the Levin and Paraparaumu volley brigades. Went Permanent and worked in South Auckland for three years and then back to Taupo when a vacancy came up. One of the stations in Auckland I was working at commissioned one of the latest series Scanias like you’re making on to the run while I was there, so I can rack my memory if you have any technical questions on it etc lol

Thanks,

Yeah I used to be a volunteer. I started out in Waimangaroa for 12 months then did 5 years in New Brighton but I've been full time at Wellington Airport Fire Service for almost 5 years so far. Where are you?

Edited by dan

How Busy is Taupo? We've got a guy from work about to start the next recruit course in a couple of weeks and is heading to Wanganui when he's done. And another one left about 18 months ago and is at Hutt City station now.

Umm I could do with some info on how the interior is set up.

Is there anything between the rear seats?

Locations of aide-memiors folders and LMR?

Any other equipment in there I can dress mine up with?

Cheers

Busy enough! lol. It's about the same as most of the out stations I worked at in Auckland but a lot more rescue work than in the city being the only career ET in the area. There are the normally three seats with BA sets incorporated into them in the back. Some Career trucks around the country remove the middle seat in the back and replace it with a storage bin and a rack for the drivers BA set but all Auckland trucks keep all three seats in the back. The LMR is the new flat screen touch screen model. It is on a swivelling mount on the centre console between the officer and the driver but slightly over towards the officer’s side. The LMR has two hand pieces, one is a telephone style mounted on the officers side of the LMR screen. The other is the more typical CB style mounted on dash towards the diver for their use. The aide-memoirs, risk plans, tactical plans, street maps, water maps etc are in a steel oblong box that is open at the top and is attached to the rear of the centre console and runs horizontally behind the drivers and officers seats (FYI the officers seat also has the seat mounted BA rack). The box has about 3 partitioned sections in it and has a vinyl type flap running along the length of it that can be velcroed down to close it. It is about a meter or so long, 30cm up and down and about 20 cm from front to back. I have a feeling the next recruit course won’t be for some time due to the current industrial action and the way thing are going.

How Busy is Taupo? We've got a guy from work about to start the next recruit course in a couple of weeks and is heading to Wanganui when he's done. And another one left about 18 months ago and is at Hutt City station now.

Umm I could do with some info on how the interior is set up.

Is there anything between the rear seats?

Locations of aide-memiors folders and LMR?

Any other equipment in there I can dress mine up with?

Cheers

Edited by dan

Righto.

I am going to definitely follow this a bit closer - I have a revell Unimog kit that I will have to do some surgery to the dashboard to try to replicate the 90s Unimogs.. :)

I've done that exact kit and converted the dash. I built a version of the unimog we've got at work to tow or rescue boats. The thread will be on here somewhere. If not I can send you some photos.

The dash on that was easy, since it was almost straight all you have to do is cut it into thirds, swap each side round, glue it back together and fill in the sides. The seats and gear stick were pretty staight foward to swap over too

I've done that exact kit and converted the dash. I built a version of the unimog we've got at work to tow or rescue boats. The thread will be on here somewhere. If not I can send you some photos.

The dash on that was easy, since it was almost straight all you have to do is cut it into thirds, swap each side round, glue it back together and fill in the sides. The seats and gear stick were pretty staight foward to swap over too

I had a feeling that that would be what I would have to do - this would be my first truck/vehicle (I have done some Italeri and Matchbox tanks decades ago, but I want to make a decent go of this one) The seats I guess would also be in thirds too. My major issue I think will end up being the cab itself- the roof and front left A piller were a bit munted in transit. Darn.

The seats are easy, just put the wide one on the left side instead of the right and the drivers on the right. Might have to file down the base of the cab for it to fit.

The kit itself was very frustrating. The plastic was VERY thin with flashing all over it. It was probably the worst kit I've done so far. Managed to get it finished without throwing it in the bin though