New Zealand Fire Service Scania

I came across a problem when I went to remove the rear seats. the back rests came off alright but when I went to cut out the two center rear seats I noticed the only point to secure the cab to the chassis was right in the way.

SDC11231.jpg

SDC11233.jpg

It's not pretty but hopefully I got it sorted. I made a couple of brackets out of card, drilled a hole in them and slid them over the peg and glued them in place. so the plan will be when I cut it free from the seat it will be held securely in place so I wont have to realign anything when I go to put it all back together.

SDC11234.jpg

SDC11235.jpg

SDC11238.jpg

once the seats are gone I'll cut it down to floor level.

none of it will be visible once its all finished and detailed so I'm not concerned about how it looks at this stage.

Pouring down with rain today so managed to get quite a bit done. I sanded down the roof and primed the cab, starting to look good now its all the same colour, (even though it's grey).

SDC11243.jpg

SDC11247.jpg

I finally got around to cutting up the dash, still got some work to do filling and sanding but it's coming along pretty good. It's all flat and the same length as it was before I cut it so I'll count that as a win.

SDC11251.jpg

SDC11261.jpg

SDC11262.jpg

I started making the backrests for the back seats. I wrapped them in tamyia tape to simulate padding, it'll look better when its all painted. and put a sticking plaster on the bases to make them look softer.

SDC11254.jpg

Then I test fitted it all together to see how it looked

SDC11263.jpg

SDC11265.jpg

SDC11266.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

yeah I noticed that after I posted the photos. It's alright though, I've got to take it out to paint around it anyway.

I did come across a problem I hadn't thought about though. There are holes in the underside of the dash where the hinges for the doors slotted into that don't quite line up now. Should be an easy fix but still time consuming.

I'm away for 6 days from tomorrow so wont get anything done til next week now.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I didn't get the pump panel started but I did get the first coat of colour on it. I got a tin of the actual paint used for the real trucks but when I opened it I found it was the same colour as the orange that came with my severn lifeboat so I used that instead. I'll get the blue on tomorrow night after work and I've brought some fluro yellow for the stripes and gloss white for the roof that I'll try and add if I get time.

Here are the BA sets I've been working on so far, Still need more work but when it's closed up with the windows in they won't be very noticable.

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_03602.jpg

IMG_03592.jpg

IMG_03612.jpg

wow! This is turning out really great! I'd never thought taking about one of the die-cast vehicles and detialing the out. Your's is looking very good. Are the wheels stock are did you get those from something else? They look very realistic.

I can't wait to see it done.

Bill

Thanks guys. Yeah I was quite pleased with the wheels, They came with it and I haven't done anything to them, they look pretty good as they are. The blue is looking a bit dark but I'm hoping a good gloss clear coat will fix that. For the reflective stripes down the side I'm going to use a gloss white with dazzle fluro yellow and hopefully use some custom decals for the red stripes. Once that's done I can remove the masking and start working on the detail painting to help bring it to life abit more.

I realized today I've got a problem with the Dazzle Yellow. I sprayed it through the airbrush but it dried too soon so I've got yellow powder everywhere. It should be an easy fix with a damp brush though so I'm not too worried yet.

I got a bit more detailing done today, still needs some touching up but here it so far:

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

Updates are getting smaller as the detail is getting finer but I've painted the rear end and added the diamond plate steps at the back and pump panel and made some hand rails to get onto the roof

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

Started making progress on the roof, still a lot of work though.

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

I made the ladder out of the turntable ladder that was on it originally. I had to make it alot narrower and I've still got to shorten it a bit but it'll do the job

• 3 weeks later...

I've finally got a small update to post. The cab is finished and beacons permanently attached. I made a big mistake though, When I pulled it all apart I put all the parts I wasn't working on on the windowsill to keep them out of the way. Turns out clear plastic doesn't like bright sunlight and turned the windscreen white. I tried dipping it in future but it didn't make too much difference. I might have to try and track down another one.

I had some parts from the US arrive in the mail the other day so now I've got some hand tools, nozzles and a generator and a chainsaw to fill the lockers with and some chrome slam locker catches for the rear locker. I'm working on the hose reels today so it should be finished in the next couple of weeks.

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

Getting down to the final parts now. I've got the hose reels done and mounted, added the scene lights on the top of the lockers and the catches on the lower locker. I added some clear PVA glue to the lights to represent lenses and they came out pretty good. The Decals have been printed and are in the post, Should be here in a week or two, as is the material I'm using for the coiled and flaked hoselines in the lockers. I poached some spares from my unimog I built so I've got some fuel cans and other boxes I can fill the lockers up with as well as all the tools that arrived last week

photofire018.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

It's almost looking like this:

EWJ477l.jpg

Just noticed I've got a fuel tank to build. always the way, as soon as I finish one job, I find two more that needs to be done

Looking great! it's really coming along nicely. One thing I haven't seen mentioned, what scale is this? I see some of your aftermarket parts have a number with 32-___ and some 25-____ so I didn't know if that meant anything. Whatever scale it is, it's impressive. Keep it up!

Bill

Thanks, it's taking awhile but it's getting there. It's 1:32, turns out it's a bit of a weird scale for fire trucks so it was hard finding parts for it in the right scale so I ended up buying 1:25 parts if I couldn't find them in 32nd. They are a little oversized but hopefully not too much to be noticed badly.

Rear steps are on

IMG_0512.jpg

suction hose on the roof

IMG_0580.jpg

And some equipment in the lockers. half of it isn't in it's final position, I just threw it in to see how it'd look

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

• 2 weeks later...