Cool A-10!

About those GBU's you got there. The Tamiya kit is quite an oldy and was first released when the A-10 was just entering service. No A-10 ever carried those big bombs in real live. What else is there in the kit?

Also, that's quite an amount of putty you have there on that Phantom in the background.

I actually haven't thought much about the load that was going on yet. I just happened to stick the halves together because they were loose and I didn't want to misplace a half. I guess I'll have to start thinking about what I'm going to hang underneath. I do want to max it out since I think the Hog's look so cool when loaded up.

Kit comes with 2 Mk.20s, 12Mk.82s, 6 AMG-65s, 1 GBU-8, 1 GBU-10 and 2 ALQ-119 pods.

Edited by Spectre711

I liked that Tamiya A-10 when I did it for the Desert Storm GB. If you're not a rivet counter it's a decent kit. All except for that god awful cockpit that barely exists. I managed to shove a resin pit that was designed for the Monogram kit into mine. Look forward to seeing her loaded up.

I liked that Tamiya A-10 when I did it for the Desert Storm GB. If you're not a rivet counter it's a decent kit. All except for that god awful cockpit that barely exists. I managed to shove a resin pit that was designed for the Monogram kit into mine. Look forward to seeing her loaded up.

It is a nice kit aside from the cockpit, and as long as you remember what it's a kit of, quite accurate as well. The problem is the kit is of a development aircraft, not an operational aircraft (although it's quite close for the first few years of service). I'm currently building the kit as Development Airframe #1, which is one of the decal options in the original boxing.

• 3 weeks later...

That's quite some putty on there. Tamiya sure has come a long way over the years with their kits. Did you give it a metal paint job?

The rest of the fuselage and wings fit great. For some reason there it was smaller but at least it is on the lower surface. I had a little extra silver after doing some natural areas on that Phantom in the above picture. I think silver is the best color to find imperfections.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, but I really need to start using a finer grade a paper than 500. Those scratches look like craters to me. I also need to get better at masking or break down and buy the pre-cut masks for the canopies looking at that RF-4F. I took a long break from modeling to work on 1:1 Mustang Cars but now I'm back.

• 4 weeks later...

Its getting there and looking good!! I have the same nearly ready for decals. Mine I engraved the tail sections wings and fuselage. Take care on the parts holding the wheeldoors as they are very sensitive for breaking.

Mine you'll find here:

http://www.modelbouwen.be/showthread.php?t=6878

Somehow its connected to Bigasshammm :D

Edited by Eric2020
  • 3 weeks later...

I got back to doing some work on the A-10 also. I glued in the nose weights and put the decals in the tub. Boy, these must be thick or something because I had to put a lot of Micro Sol on them to get them to lay down good.

1066-1.jpg

Weights are in along with the tub and the fuselage is now sealed.

Edited by Spectre711
  • 4 weeks later...