It LIVES!!! (The Paint Booth)

It's been a multi-year effort but I finally finished my paint booth. I have a nice room in the basement that's all mine and it gets used, mostly, for modeling. It gets mighty cold in the winter and trudging back and forth to the garage to paint is such a pain that I find myself putting off modeling projects. I've been working on a paint booth for several years and kept running into roadblocks. I kept putting off completion but I think I am finally in business. The last hurdle was what seemed like "feedback", for lack fo a better term, that was causing the fan to not remove the fumes. I figured out that the 6" to 4" reducer from the back of the fan to the outlet hose was building up a bubble, I guess, that acted just like a solid wall. Literally, no exhaust would pass but would come back through and around the fan. I'm no HVAC guy but switching to all 6" outlet hardware seems to have solved it. So far so good. Thought I'd share some photos in my mooment of triumph.

IMG_2293.jpg

The booth itself is made from composite wood. CHeap, easy to work with, and strudy enough once it's all put together. I probably overdid some elements but it's solid and airtight.

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

I added clear plastic sheeting to the top to allow some light in and made a clear front cover that folds back. It doesn't have to be clear but it allows me to see what's in there and traps any residual smell inside. I cannot run the fan with it closed, however, it all fits so tightly that it becomes a vacuum chamber and I would probably burn up the fan. I've run the fan with the lid closed a couple of times and it's amazing how difficult it gets to open it. The fan really works.

IMG_2295.jpg

The back area where the fan is located. I have it bolted together pretty solidly and taped but I can get at the fan fairly easily with this setup. The ductwork is 6". It's less flexible but is what I needed for the size fan I used.

IMG_2304.jpg

I got the fan from a local appliance parts retailer. I can't recall the exact specifications but it is probably abit oversized.

Thanks for checking it out. Nothing too fancy but I'm pretty proud of the end result so far.

That looks great. I am not so inclined with wood, but I have a friend that is really good with it. He saw your pics and he says he can help me build one similar to yours!! Whoohoo! He has a stove top hood that he is gonna bring over and help me put in the hose and the box. Thanks for the inspiration. Love the booth!

-jim

Looks good

but one thing i did some testing in my booth with the type of filter you are using and i noticed that some paint was staining outside of the house. I went to a car body shop and he gave my one of his filter and its much better plus its got less resistance. Since im using a bathroom fan i need all the help i can get!