Hey all!! First build for this GB. This is the new Revell B-17 kit with markings for "A Bit o'Lace" from Kits-world. A little history here. I remember building the Airfix kit in these markings at least 35+ years ago. I remember the box art vividly, with the Fort being attacked by FW190s with one engine on fire. 1/72 is a departure for me, i do 1/32 jets. I have to say, the box is full of small parts, never see this many doing 1/32. I have started the build leaving out or not painting much of the interior as almost none will be seen. Fit of the parts is very good, there are a lot of sink marks on the fuselage that will have to be filled. Will post some pics soon.

Don

Some pics tonite. Most of the builds major parts are assembled, the fit is pretty good. Something i have found working with silver colored plastic is it is a little difficult to see if a seam has been eliminated. I guess a primer coat will be in order. I think the panel lines are a little deep and wide, they would look out of place on a 1/32 kit. Like i said, i didn't do anything on the interior parts, just assembled what was needed to hold the wings on. I know some modellers will do the insides "because they know it's there" , but thats not me.

IMG_1113.jpg

The engines, ball turret, upper turret.

IMG_1114.jpg

This chunk of plastic will be carved up to become the chin turret, because i lost the original

IMG_1115.jpg

Will be adding the horizontal stabs tomorrow then mask for paint. I'm using Eduard masks for this to save my sanity.

Don

Looking good! :thumbsup:

This chunk of plastic will be carved up to become the chin turret, because i lost the original

I've got a spare turret from the new Revell kit if you're interested. (I'm doing one of the RCAF's mail-carrying Forts with no turrets)

:cheers:

I've got a spare turret from the new Revell kit if you're interested. (I'm doing one of the RCAF's mail-carrying Forts with no turrets)

Yes!! Thank you for the offer!! PM on the way.

Don

Great start, I hope you like masking canopies ;)

Nope!! Probably the least favorite task in building. I chickened out and bought the Eduard mask set to save my sanity. Geez, i can barely do 1/32 canopies, you should see how small some of the mask pieces are on this thing!!

Don

Did either of you guys get the pro modeler version? I'd love to get ahold of those decals. I have the RoG version but the pro modeler has markings for an aircraft from the 483rd bg.

Looking good though. Love any B-17s being built.

AFAIK the only aftermarket 483rd sheet is for Fort Alamo II which I already have built. I didn't know this one existed till I saw the box of the Pro Modeler (US) release of the RoG new tooled kit. I'll be building another 1/48th kit with some custom decals to do one my grandfather was on over Memmingen. Other than that those are the only 2 483rd decals I know of.

I'll probably just end up getting another kit. What's one more 17?

Very nice so far...

I've recently built this kit, and although excellent I felt the top turret was slightly too high when compared to photos of the real thing.

I removed the lip on the top of the turret interior, and then attached the clear part to the base. It has the effect of lowering the height by about 1.5mm, and I feel makes all the difference:

P1000977.jpg

P1000986.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with the decals as I've got a set from the same company to do Liberty Belle..keep us posted!

I see what you mean about the turret. Will do the modification, thanks for the heads-up. I've used the Kits-world decals on one other build, and they worked GREAT!! Very thin, minimum carrier film and snuggled down beautifully. I forget what it was but i found the instructions vague. Pic of my P-51 with Kits-World markings.

IMG_1082ab.jpg

Don

Shiny!! Put a coat of silver down and did paint some panels with a darker shade of the base color. Will start to add the yellows, greens, and blacks after i spray a dullcoat down. I find that the silver is fragile, some pigment shows on the fingers every time i handle the build.

IMG_1141.jpg

Don

Did you use a metalizer? That can be very fragile and will tend to leave fingerprints often.

Looks great.

I solved my decal problem by buying the Pro Modeler version of this kit the other day. I have 5 17s in the stash now again.

lol

Did you use a metalizer? That can be very fragile and will tend to leave fingerprints often.

Looks great.

I solved my decal problem by buying the Pro Modeler version of this kit the other day. I have 5 17s in the stash now again.

lol

I used Tamiya paints for the silver. Not as good as the Metalizers, but i don't use solvent type paints. The Tamiya paints are tougher than the others, but not as finely pigmented. 5 B-17Gs.... doing research into my build i see there are a LOT of schemes available, even more than a F-4 phantom. Will give you lots of variety. Did some more paintwork on my build, all color coats are down. Will start weathering tonight with paint chipping, then clearcoats, then stickers, etc. A few pics.

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

Don

Lovely shiny thing! I guess you've already spotted the little yellow over-spray around the tail gunner office, it would be too bad to leave it like that.

Good luck with the weathering!

I wouldn't worry over much about a little overspray. The image below is from " Bombers Of WWII " by Jeffery L. Ethell.

B-17tail001.jpg

There are a few spots of overspray i need to get rid of. The pic of the Forts tail is interesting. Like D-Day stripes it shows how painting appeared to be rushed with neatness not high on priority. 5 built, 5 in the stash, that's a lot of forts!! Lot of opportunities in this GB to do a few more!! Stayed home today, have a 24 hr virus that had me doing the Technicolor Yawn and bowing to the Porcelain Throne. Was able to gloss coat the fort and add the stickers. Used the kit decals and Kits-World decals, the kit decals will need a bit of work to settle them into panel lines, the Kits-World are just great decals. The instructions as far as painting and accuracy aren't that great, i looked around on the net to find pictures for reference. Anyways, on to some pics.

IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

Don

Nice job! Are you gonna make a panel lines wash??

Did a panel line wash today. I used Pro Modeller Wash, dark dirt the shade i used. The stuff is easy to use, i think it's the best wash out there.

Wash applied.

IMG_1157.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

Wash cleaned off.

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

This plane was used heavily, and really looked beat up. I will be heavily weathering this one with MiG Pigments and Tamiya Model Make-up to be added as well.

Don