Sorry, I have no time to finish my Miss Lace, so I have no room to talk much:) But she should have a very weathered OD port outer wing, and a huge smuge on the port horizontal stab. The stbd outer wing should have a bit of weathering on the ID stripes.

I get that, but the paint is on and i'm OK with it. There are lots of pics of the plane and a web site, some at different stages of it's life with different painted parts, etc. The Kits-World decals are very nice, but the instructions and paint guide are pretty poor. I guess they expect you to look for refs your self. This isn't the first sheet i've used from them, and i had the same issue with another. Anyway, a few more pics.

IMG_1180.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

Staining is a little heavier than shown. Still have to work on the fuselage.

Don

Very impressive! That thing seems huge!

The kit is 1/72 and the wingspan is only 18 inches. Just the right size to fit in my display case and be a managable size to build.

your fort is so wonderful, it makes me wanna buy and build one :)

You won't be disappointed, lots of decals out there.

Did you use a mask set for the windows or mask them all yourself?

Looks exceptional. I fear all the masking.

Eduard makes a mask set. I'll probably get it for mine or just use carefully applied liquid masking.

I used the Eduard Mask set. I've used them before on other builds so i know they work. Truth is, if there wasn't a set available for this kit, i wouldn't have attempted this build. The size of the clear parts would have been impossible for me to mask. I don't have the skills to make masks that small. I couldn't in my lifetime mask the nose clear of a 1/72 Liberator, Superfort, or the German WW2 bombers. Thanks for the feed back, guys. Hopefully will be done sometime this year.

Don

How did you get the paint chipping so realistic? I'm building a B-24 that's in dire need of some weathering. Thanks.

RYAN.

Hello Ryan!! On the B-17 i used foam from packing material to apply paint.

IMG_1255.jpg

I simply dipped it in some paint on a piece of paper, blotted it out a few times, then applied to model. It takes a bit of practice to get the proper amount of paint and its consistency right. If it is too thick the result will be a rough finish, like walkways. If too thin, you will just smudge the paint. I use acrylics, so the fast dry time may be the reason it dried quickly. Results after clear coating and weathering

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

On the Mustang, because it is 1/32, i used a very fine brush and silver, or olive drab, depending on what i wanted to chip. Any mistakes i covered with the color i was chipping over, this goes for the Mustang and Fort. Results after finishing

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

Once again, practice, practice, practice. It's real easy to overdo this, step back after your first pass and evaluate.

Don

Master at his craft.

Can you use those Eduard mask sets twice? I've got two of these to build and will definitely be getting a set. Just want to know if I should get two!

Almost there. You should probably double dip and add this to the Fortress GB. Not many completed models over there.

If nothing else show it off.

You probably could use a mask set more than once, but it definitely wouldn't work as well as the first time. After layers of paint it would lose it's flexibility and being stuck and pulled off would wear down the adhesive.

You can use salt weathering for a similar chipping effect.

Master at his craft.

Can you use those Eduard mask sets twice? I've got two of these to build and will definitely be getting a set. Just want to know if I should get two!

Almost there. You should probably double dip and add this to the Fortress GB. Not many completed models over there.

If nothing else show it off.

I wouldn't use them more than once, they didn't survive removal. I have to say the masks work really well, just be careful with the instructions and the map layout.

Don

dmthamade, thanks for the tip. I'll try it out.

RYAN.

Anytime, Ryan!! Are we going to see the Lib when done? The salt technique would work, but i like the control using a piece of foam gives. This build is done!! I had lost the chin turret earlier, and rcaf_100 was kind enough to send a spare he had. Painted, weathered, and installed and it is done. one pic for the night.

IMG_1260.jpg

Going to enjoy the New Years Eve celebrations soon, will post more pics tomorrow. Happy New Years everyone!!

Clearer pictures of paint chipping.

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

Don't know about the horizontal horseshoe shaped antenna on the nose. Seems to be a little large. Kit itself was easy to build, very little fill was used and overall fit was good. Next build in this GB will be a Spangdalem F-16, but first will do a build in the Ghost GB.

Don

Looking forward to seeing this finished Don. Reading the posts here it sounds like an enjoyable build - did the Eduard masks fit okay btw ? I have one on the stash intended to be finished as a black USAF machine - if anyone has any info on those I'd be very pleased to hear from you !

Cheers,

Haydn.

Looking forward to seeing this finished Don. Reading the posts here it sounds like an enjoyable build - did the Eduard masks fit okay btw ? I have one on the stash intended to be finished as a black USAF machine - if anyone has any info on those I'd be very pleased to hear from you !

Cheers,

Haydn.

Awesome job! I hope mine will look half as nice.

The build was straightforward, with the fit being very good. You'll both enjoy the kit. The Eduard masks fitted well, the parts for the cheek gun clears needed a little trim. Some of the parts are very small and they are really crammed onto the sheet. You need to be careful of what goes where and follow the map given. Lots of info and builds in the recently finished Flying Fort GB including the all black Fort.

Don