It's been ages since I've done a proper in-progress here :rolleyes:

Anyway I'll try to show you my current project (one fo many, really) and that is converting Trumpeter's J-11B 1:72 kit into a Russian Su-27.

I'll be using, beside the above mentioned kit, Eduard's PE set for ICM kit, NeOmega resin K-36 seat and ICM Air to Air set. I haven't yet decided which markings will she be wearing but I'm most certain she'll be one of the Lipetsk birds (to make company to my previously built MiG-29 from the same base). I apologize in advance that this will pprobably be quite a slow build so I hope you will bear with me.

Because J-11B is a Chinese modification, some thing will have to be corrected or modified.

01s.jpg

Instrument panel coaming is different then Flanker's. The reason is probably J-11Bs IP, incorporating LCD MFDs. However, upon checking the included Su-27 IP (in case if you don't know already, most of the Su-27 specific parts are included), it fits perfectly into the recesses under the coaming, which leads me to believe, Su-27 releases, which will be released in the near future, will have the same IP coaming then J-11B, which will be wrong. I hope I am wrong, but I have my doubts.

02s.jpg

As you can see, Eduards IP is a tad wider than kit supplied one, while the upper contour of it si generally how the contour of IP coaming should look like.

Stay tuned for more... :cheers:

Edited by Sebastijan

ok some progress...

the squarish parts of the IP coaming were removed, the etched IP was secured to the fuselage and sheet styrene was used for making the correctly shaped coaming - 0.3mm for sides and 1mm for HUD base

03s.jpg

kitchen aluminium foil was then glued and trimmed to shape, simulating the canvas cover. Other instruments like HUD and cameras will be added later.

04s.jpg

It's coaming along nicely Seb.... :thumbsup:

I hadn't spotted the different coamings before you pointed it out - like you say, I doubt that Trumpeter will either....

Did you notice on the clear sprue, there appears to be two HUDS?

At first, with my poor eyesight, I thought they might have included a repeater HUD for the rear of the promised Su-27UB - but now I think it might be two different styles of front HUD - Chinese & Russian.

What do you think ???

Re the seam line on the windscreen & canopy - the 'step' is on the canopy only - a slight mis-match between the two side 'halves' of the canopy.

It polished out OK - but it took more sanding than just a seam line.

What do you think of the moulding 'pips' - and those strange 'steps' at the slat root ???

Keep it coming....

Ken

yeah, checking the HUDs I'm pretty sure there's a Chinese and Russian one there.

As I said before in PM, I'll have yet to deal with transparencies.

Those moulding pips are something I have seen for the first time. Shouldn't be hard to remove though. I am more annoyed that I found that sinkmarks at the end of the wings are in fact more prominent then I hoped them to be. While that circular steps at the slat roots - I wonder where their 3D designers found them... I haven't seen anything like it so far on any version of Su-27 I have seen in person or on photos.

Unfortunately I probably won't have much to show in the coming days due to other commitments in my life outside modelling, but hope to give you some more progress in the near future :) Thanks for watching!

• 4 weeks later...