Thanks for the props, but it's really not that hard in this scale. There are guys in my IPMS chapter who can really make me cry - Luftwaffe mottling and fine wavy demarcations on Bf-109Ks in 1/72nd - that I'm not up for just yet! You'll also find more than a few inaccuracies if you hold this up against a photo of the real thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the reinforcement, gents! Hope it doesn't go to my head. :sunrevolves:

I put down a coat of straight Future on the tank last night. I'll be doing some filters and pin washes before I put on some road dust. I want this to look relatively clean. It is an HQ tank, and I imagine it would have been taken care of well.

OK, I've had a minor disaster. :bandhead2: The odorless spirits I used for the dot filters seem to have shrunk the tracks or softened the styrene on the idler wheel axles. In any case, the idler wheels were tilted inwards towards the hull, placing them and the front of the tracks out of position. I glued syrene blocks between the rear ends of the wheels and the hull and reinforced everything liberally with CA. Fortunately the skirts over the tracks hide this mess pretty well. The shame of it is I was spraying a coat of dust as the penultimate act of finishing this thing before I saw the issue. The OTHER big mess is that the paint keeps flaking off of the rubber band tracks now. This will probably be my last time using this material. :soapbox: I'll look for kits with styrene or DS tracks so I know the paint will stay where I put it. In the meantime more hand touchup work.

Oh man, don't you hate stuff like that so close to the finish line. I hope you will get it fixed (somewhat).

BTW, it might be too late now, but there are aftermarket tracks for the M1 around.

Good luck!

Pete-

Yes, this WILL be done h**l or high water. I had it at our IPMS chapter meeting last night and said the same, so I can't chicken out in front of two groups of fellow modelers.

There is some recap here, I am posting this in my IPMS club forum and I don't feel like re-typing the whole thing.

Well, the weathering DID screw things up, but not as I had anticipated. I Futured the model in anticipation of oil washes and dot filters. I accomplished said weathering with liberal amounts of odorless mineral spirits. It appears that the spirits a ) shrunk the rubber band tracks, and/or b ) weakened the styrene idler wheel axles. In any case, as I was airbrushing the first dust coat, I noticed that the front ends of the tracks were now rubbing the inside of the track skirts:

2860634990037620395S600x600Q85.jpg

Looking further, I noticed the idlers bent backwards until the rear edges of the wheels touched the hull :( :

2119164170037620395S600x600Q85.jpg

Well, I've come too far to scrap this thing now. My initial idea for a solution was to replace the styrene axles with metal ones. Unfortunately this would entail removing the painted and partially weathered skirts from the hull. This was unacceptable due to the time and labor involved. So, I went the lazy way (I am an engineer, we specialize in creative laziness). I built some blocks from styrene plates to shim out the backs of the idlers and restore them to their proper place. In the process of getting them in the axles snapped completely and much of the paint came off of the vinyl tracks in the stressed areas:

2583649180037620395S600x600Q85.jpg

The styrene block appears in gray. I have since painted these NATO black, along with the areas of the track that lost their paint. The metallic gray of the vinyl is very noticeable, so I am taking pains to cover it up except where the sprocket would touch and rub the rust off.

So, I feel the build is back on track (pun intended). :rofl: More soon.

Edited by bdt13

Problems fixed. I put a coat of 25% Tamiya flat (in Future) on tonight. We'll see if it's flat enough. Then to paint the viewports and lights and glue the figures in, and DONE!

Edited by bdt13
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, here are some better photos. Just a note, this thing is NOT as shiny in person! The flash seems to increase the sheen, and I didn't take the time to set up lights to go flashless.

2541717940037620395S600x600Q85.jpg

2677452300037620395S600x600Q85.jpg

2517796140037620395S600x600Q85.jpg

2745727770037620395S600x600Q85.jpg

2595198850037620395S600x600Q85.jpg

2997856900037620395S600x600Q85.jpg

2481877350037620395S600x600Q85.jpg

2981351720037620395S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Lest we forget those who gave "the last full measure of devotion"- observe this Memorial Day. :salute: