Fujimi F-15E Strike Eagle

Hi Don,

Interesting little kit. What's it's vintage? the reason I ask is the light blue plastic. I wonder whether it dates from the early seventies when the F-15A's were Air Superiority blue? It looks more like A/B, C/D version than the E judging by the undersides. Any decals in the kit?

It would be neat to see it built up when you get to that stage. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

:cheers:

Hi Don,

Interesting little kit. What's it's vintage? the reason I ask is the light blue plastic.

Erm, the smaller, blue plastic is the standard, newer tool Hasegawa kit. Just a limited release in different coloured plastic (Idolmaster) Nothing special, nothing unique.

The larger, dark grey kit is the brand, spankin' new Fujimi F-15E. Which is *supposed* to be 1/72... but isn't. Which is why it's larger than the (actually 1/72) Hasegawa kit. It's too big. Which means there's still no 1/72 F-15E on the market. Which means I'm back on the pylons for Twomikes. :)

Edited by MoFo

I felt a great disturbance in the Force... as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Mean.... but true. :D

Look at the bright side though. It is close to Nascar diecast scale of 1/64, so now you have a plane for the flyover during the National Anthem if you do a NASCAR racetrack diorama. ;)

Edited by Jay Chladek

It will be interesting to see how Fujimi will handle this. When Skunkmodel Works/Kinetic (a much younger and presumably smaller company) made a similar mistake and released an underscale 1/72 MQ-9 Reaper kit last summer, Raymond quickly recalled the kit and retooled a correctly scaled kit within a couple months.

It will be interesting to see how Fujimi will handle this. When Skunkmodel Works/Kinetic (a much younger and presumably smaller company) made a similar mistake and released an underscale 1/72 MQ-9 Reaper kit last summer, Raymond quickly recalled the kit and retooled a correctly scaled kit within a couple months.

I don't believe they will do much of anything. A Reaper has a few less parts than an F-15. But, you may be right. Of course, that makes be begin to wonder if any of their OTHER recent jet kits (F-35 and F-22) are a little oversized as well.

I don't believe they will do much of anything. A Reaper has a few less parts than an F-15. But, you may be right. Of course, that makes be begin to wonder if any of their OTHER recent jet kits (F-35 and F-22) are a little oversized as well.

Both F-22 which is a normal kit and the F-35B, a snap-tite, their measures are spot on. Although with the F-22 the rear fuselage is a little bit too wide.

Edited by Inquisitor

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? How did that happen? :o

Oh well. Maybe Revell can pick up from here. Or at least Hasegawa could reconsider and re-issue their F-15E-that's-actually-a-D with some new sprues just like they did with their F-16I/E/F.

funny-gifs-oh-god.gif

Damn, mine's on the way from HobbyEasy - I should have waited for an ARC review...but Fujimi's usually very good of late. What utter disappointment.

Was Drewe the first to note this blatant error - nobody from Japan noticed?

Gene

Erm, the smaller, blue plastic is the standard, newer tool Hasegawa kit. Just a limited release in different coloured plastic (Idolmaster) Nothing special, nothing unique.

The larger, dark grey kit is the brand, spankin' new Fujimi F-15E. Which is *supposed* to be 1/72... but isn't. Which is why it's larger than the (actually 1/72) Hasegawa kit. It's too big. Which means there's still no 1/72 F-15E on the market. Which means I'm back on the pylons for Twomikes. :)

:doh:

I read "1/87th"...(like HO gauge) :blush:

Thanks for clearing that up MoFo

:cheers:

Damn, mine's on the way from HobbyEasy - I should have waited for an ARC review...but Fujimi's usually very good of late. What utter disappointment.

Gene

Now that Dmanton brought up this problem, I just did a search for japanese reviews of the kit and some people did notice the size problem. Various japanese modelers have written comments/review about the oversized kit being akin to 1/64 or 1/65 scale. Even on Amazon Japan too.

Also the real one should scale down to 27 cm long and 18.1 cm wide in 1/72. The fujimi kit is 29.6cm long and 20.1 cm wide. Wow that's more than a full inch off in length!

Edited by Inquisitor

Gene

Gene,

I certainly wasn't first, someone sent me a link from a Japanese forum covering it - that's where the pics are from. It kind of surprised me that I was first to say anything on a western forum actually! But I guess someone has to be first, this was just my turn!

That's easy - they will recall all the kit boxes, stick a label over all the spots that say 1/72 and have 1/67 on the stickers and mail them back!!! Now you can't complain, they fixed the error!!

Hmmm, what to do with an ODD scale F-15E. If I soak it in cold water will it shrink??? :doh:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? How did that happen? :o

Oh well. Maybe Revell can pick up from here. Or at least Hasegawa could reconsider and re-issue their F-15E-that's-actually-a-D with some new sprues just like they did with their F-16I/E/F.

Didn't Hasegawa do that already with their release of -15I?

Didn't Hasegawa do that already with their release of -15I?

They addressed the pylons, scoops and RWR antennas with resin parts. But they didn't address the bulged MLG doors and the hexagonal gun loading panel as well as some other little details. Also adding the factor of being a LE and having resin parts, the price is slightly higher than other editions of the F-15E. And on final note one of the pylons that run the length of the CFT in the F-15I I bought, was warped badly. Nothing that hot water can't fix, but it's annoying.

Wonder if this mistake and the Skunkmodels MQ-9 mistake are the result of using the same design firm? The engineering question is: Doesn't anyone check drawings?

Hopefully ROG will see this as an opportunity to down scale their 1/48th scale F-15E.

Mark S.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my copy the other day. This looks to be a nice, straightforward build, perfect after my current project.

The kit no longer exists anywhere on Fujimi's webpage. My guess is that they either: a. acknowledge the errors in the tooling, pulled the current product off the shelves and are designing another version for sale later, or b. are quietly sweeping it under the carpet, never to be spoken about again. :whistle: