F-16D Block 42

I just picked up the Superscale decals to do 90-0778 It's the Block 42 F-16D that made the 1st US F-16 kill and first AMRAAM kill. It kind of struck me being a two seater and a Mig killer.

So I have a Hasegawa F-16D Block 52 Advanced kit that should work. I can get the AN/AAQ-13 Nav pod from my Hase Weapons D set. I'll leave the AN/AAQ-14 Targeting pod off.

My questions are these:

1) When the LANTIRN targeting pod is not on the Block 40/42 aircraft, is the mounting rail still there?

2) I can get a Dr Pepper Resins WAR HUD for the front seat, but where can I find a rear seat HUD repeater in 1/48?

Would the AAQ-13 be installed without the AAQ-14, I've never seen this configuration myself?

Well, I'm not sure. But I did come across this thread on F-16.net:

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-504.html

I don't know how accurate this information is, but it is stated that it only carried the nav pod and shows a pic of an F-16 with only the one pod. I guess it does show that there is no rail or mount left on the opposite side.

1) When the LANTIRN targeting pod is not on the Block 40/42 aircraft, is the mounting rail still there?

2) I can get a Dr Pepper Resins WAR HUD for the front seat, but where can I find a rear seat HUD repeater in 1/48?

1. Yes, the pylon can still be attached without the LANTIRN attached. Probably doesn't happen very often but I have seen aircraft in this configuration. Here's a pic: Photo. Its a Block 32 Viper but it still applies.

2. You could get the Wolfpack set. It comes with 3 WAR HUDs.

Edited by Fly-n-hi

couple things.

The Nav pod was uploaded for this MiG kill sortie.

778 did not have the blue fin flash from the 33rd FS when Gary North shot down this MiG. The jet was on loan to the 33rd from the 19th FS. 778 had a yellow finflash with the word "Gamecocks" for the shootdown, as well as the other 19th FS insignia. The jet was re=branded to the 33rd after the kill.

Don't even worry about the targeting pod adapter being on/off the jet. There were no targeting pods available for the Shaw squadrons at that time..and no adapters either.

Pig

The BB "D" cockpit had the HUD and repeater in the set. Not sure if Avionics continued that in their boxing.

It doesn't appear that Avionix is doing any F-16D.

I may have to scratch build this thing.

Edited by dmk0210

There is a Wolfpack set that just has 3 WAR HUDs in it...nothing else. Sprue Brothers has some.

From what I've read, the Dr. Pepper WAR HUD is better. The WP one is a bit undersized.

www.scalemodelworld.net/showthread.php?t=15716

(For whatever reason, this board is jacks up my link. It should be zonefive not scalemodelworld)

But I can also steal one from my Tamiya Aggressor kit. Either way, that doesn't get me the rear seat HUD which seems to be much harder to find.

Edited by dmk0210

778 did not have the blue fin flash from the 33rd FS when Gary North shot down this MiG. The jet was on loan to the 33rd from the 19th FS. 778 had a yellow finflash with the word "Gamecocks" for the shootdown, as well as the other 19th FS insignia. The jet was re=branded to the 33rd after the kill.

So what wing was the 19th FS in? I'm trying to find a decal sheet that has that yellow "Gamecocks" tail flash

IIRC the HUD repeater at the back is available in the Aires F-16D set 4291.

Alternatively, you could probably scratch build that yourself or see if anyone has one to spare from the Kinetic F-16D kit

I think I will scratch build it. It's basically a slightly oddly shaped box.

I just need to find a clear pic of the face of it somewhere. Good pics of this thing are hard to find (guess since it's only in the Block 40/42 D). Even Jake's most excellent Modern Viper Guide only shows the sides.

Jake, got any more of the HUD Repeater among your wonderful picture stash? :coolio:

Edited by dmk0210
Good pics of this thing are hard to find (guess since it's only in the Block 40/42 D). Even Jake's most excellent Modern Viper Guide only shows the sides.

Jake, got any more of the HUD Repeater among your wonderful picture stash? :coolio:

There's much better pics of it in The Early Viper Guide. Daco's Viper book also has some good shots.

Jake

There's much better pics of it in The Early Viper Guide. Daco's Viper book also has some good shots.

Jake

I actually just got the "Modern Early Viper Guide" in the mail yesterday. :) I would have never thought of looking in there for Block 42 pics.

(Jake, those Viper books are great BTW. I especially like the ANG book)

I'll look for the Daco book.

Thanks

Edited by dmk0210

I actually just got the "Modern Early Viper Guide" in the mail yesterday. :) I would have never thought of looking in there for Block 42 pics.

(Jake, those Viper books are great BTW. I especially like the ANG book)

The HUD repeater isn't unique to just the Block 40 & 42. The Block 20 F-16B also has it, which is why it's covered in the Early Viper Guide.

Glad you like the books!!

The HUD repeater is basically a TV in a box. Not too complicated so I expect you will be able to scratch build a nice replica without too much of a problem. Jake's books are nice; I have looked at a friend's Test & Training Viper book and really liked it! I need to stop buying kits so I can get a couple of Jake's books!

The HUD repeater is basically a TV in a box. Not too complicated so I expect you will be able to scratch build a nice replica without too much of a problem. Jake's books are nice; I have looked at a friend's Test & Training Viper book and really liked it! I need to stop buying kits so I can get a couple of Jake's books!

Thanks. Might be fun. I like when I can scratch build stuff rather than shelling out money for resin. More money for books. :)

I need to get that Test and Training Viper book. I think I'll order that one with the new A-10 book when Jake finishes it.

I think I will scratch build it. It's basically a slightly oddly shaped box.

I just need to find a clear pic of the face of it somewhere. Good pics of this thing are hard to find (guess since it's only in the Block 40/42 D). Even Jake's most excellent Modern Viper Guide only shows the sides.

Hope these work....

Dmodel-2.jpg

Dcockpit-5-1.jpg

Dcockpit-2.jpg

Dcockpit-1.jpg

I just need to find a clear pic of the face of it somewhere. Good pics of this thing are hard to find (guess since it's only in the Block 40/42 D).

Hasegawa also includes it in their 1/72nd (part T8) and 1/48th (parts YF9/YF10) F-16I kits.

HTH,

Andre