Fellow Armor modeler's. I am mostly a aircraft modeler but want to do a tank model. I have search the website on adding Zimmerit to tank models. I have looked at my LHS and on the online hobby stores here in the U.S. and haven't found any one that carries something called Zimm-it-rite. Is it out of production? It sounded like the most simple way to add Zimmerit texture to Tiger I tank that I want to do. Any suggestions out there would be most helpful. I wanted to try my hand at adding the texture instead of buying a kit that had it molded on. I was looking at Cyber Hobby kit #6650. Was all tanks late in the war mid 1944 to the end had Zimmerit on them? From what I have read it sounds like it. Will I be wrong in doing this tank kit with maybe the one they list #114 that serve in Ukraine wrong in Zimmerit? Any pictures would be helpful. Dan

From what I've just read it seems R&J stopped making it quite a while ago.

One thread I've read said Tamiya Polyester putty is good.

I'd think a putty without aggressive solvents would be best, I've never used the Polyester putty so I have no comment on that.

Curt

I'm sure if you've done any searching you've already seen this, but in case if you haven't.

Applying Zimmerit

Edited by Netz

If you want something with some working time and cleans up with water, you can try using Milliput, in the standard box. Its a two part putti that dries as hard as a rock. The only thing you would have to do is rough texture the surface where you want to apply it so it has something to grab onto.

Starting in September/October of 1944 vehicles coming off the line no longer had zimmerit applied to them. This was not the case for every vehicle, but for most. If your doing any Pnzer IV ausf H, a rule of thumb is all early and most mid version had zimmerit some of the mid versions to all the late had no zimmerit applied. But I am sure somewhere there will be one or two that had it applied in anycase. If your doing a Panther IV Ausf A, they all basically had it applied, as well as some of the early and late G's

Best thing to do is find reference pictures of the vehicle you want to model. If you know the unit and theater you want to depict, then google it and you will find some picutes or websites regarding the vehicles in that particular unit.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Look up a company call Atak Model out of Poland. They have resin zimmerit for German armor. Depending on the kit you have, I'll bet they have a zimmerit pattern for it. The stuff is real easy to use, cuts very nicely and looks fantastic. You can use super glue to attach it or 5 minute epoxy or some other adhesive. It's MUCH easier than trying to rake putty across a model surface. It's not cheap but in my opinion, is worth every cent. You can get the stuff here in the U.S. or order from them in Poland...there's probably other places you can get it from as well.

Tiger I's from some time in 1943 (I cannot remember the month) were delivered with zimmerit anti-magnetic mine paste. Tiger I production ended in the summer of 1944 (again, I've forgotten which month it was). The Tiger kit you mention would have zimmerit on it. Zimmerit application was stopped in the last part of 1944 (Fall or early Winter) but there we no Tiger I's during that time frame that did not have it.

Link to Atak Models

Edited by timc

If you want to make your own try to use Apoxie Sculpt.... It is very nice to work with.. Use color shapers available from Dick Blick or Jerry's Artarama.... they are like a paintbrush but have a rubber tip to them they come in all shapes and sizes... good luck...

• 2 months later...

Atak model ftw.

Either that or make your own. There are several tools and punches on sale from various places if you google search it.

You can also go to your local watch repair shop and ask if they have a spare sprocket wheel with the correct tooth width. Should be free. Just affix this to a home made handle.

Google search "applying zimmerit" theres loads of articles.

ATAK and Cavalier make a thin resin zimmerit for armor. These packages are kit specific, but are very nice. I'm not familure with the kit number you posted, but you can figure that unless it's a Tiger I initial production, it will have zimmerit. Pretty much all IV's thru late H will have it. Most all Panthers except for some late G's will also have zimmerit (Not sure about the very early D's). Most King Tigers, JagedPanthers, and JagedTigers as well. Stugg's are a mixed bag. Most all F's, G's, and some earlier ones did. Best thing is to do a little research on the subject your modeling, and go from there.

gary

FWIW, I used Squadron green putty to replicate this stuff on a couple of Tiger 1's. I'd work in small areas, apply a thin coating,let it partially dry and then texture it using a flat piece of plastic, cut down and sanded to the proper dimensions. It came out looking very nice and actually wasn't that much work.

FWIW, I used Squadron green putty to replicate this stuff on a couple of Tiger 1's. I'd work in small areas, apply a thin coating,let it partially dry and then texture it using a flat piece of plastic, cut down and sanded to the proper dimensions. It came out looking very nice and actually wasn't that much work.

I've missplaced three sets of zimmerit tools over the years, and finally just gave up! I like the Cavalier and ATAK resin, but seems to be hard to get ahold of. I also have several sets of Eduard pe zimmerit, but have kinda avoided using it. Some guys like to use thinned out Squadron green putty. Yet I cannot say that I like the way that Dragon has done their zimmerit on their tank kits. To me it looks kinda heavy handed (too deep). The two tanks I've looked at that had zimmerit on them were maybe 9mm or 10mm deep and very course looking. That figures out to about .011" deep. The Eduard stuff looks a tad shallow to me, and the Cavalier just looks about right to me. And as we are on the subject matter' does anybody here now of a source for ATAK in the USA?

gary