Didn't somebody do ESM upgrades for the 1/72 E-3??

I swear I recall somewhere seeing a set of resin ESM pod (cheeks, chin, and tail) upgrades for the Heller/Airfix E-3 kits. I can't find hide nor hair of them after copious Google searches. Anybody remember, and if so, know whether they're still around?

Tks!

J

I swear I recall somewhere seeing a set of resin ESM pod (cheeks, chin, and tail) upgrades for the Heller/Airfix E-3 kits. I can't find hide nor hair of them after copious Google searches. Anybody remember, and if so, know whether they're still around?

Tks!

J

Jennings,

While Pete has posted a link to the Contrails stuff, I don't know if that is the set to which you are actually referring. I have a couple of sets done by Jost Schreiber of JSPM Models. They date back to 1999. The set contains two resin cheek ESM antenna, one chin and one tail. Possibly this is the set to which you refer. His web site URL hasn't worked in donkeys years and I am pretty sure I contacted him some time ago about further sets and he wasn't doing them any longer.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure it's the circa 1999 ones I'm thinking about (where *does* the time go?). Contrails looks okay, but his stuff is usually pretty rough. May just break out the epoxy putty myself.

J

• 10 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi,

No, You have to build all not in the AWACS kit provided antennas by yourself. The only antenna is the Doppler Radar Fairing with a HQ antenna. This Fairing sits behind the main landing gear doors an is for all E-3 versions. It comes as a smal conversion together with 3x Pitot Probes, 1x Temp Probe and 2x UHF antennas. Depending what model of a NATO E-3 from what year you would like to build, you might need 12 UDF/HQ antennas. The Heller/Airfix kit has only 10 antennas. Furthermore for myself, I made some SAT-COM antennas, ACAS and ADF antennas. Maybe I add them to the Doppler conversion in the future. But then it will need some extra work to prepaire them as you see on pics. The SAT-COM antennas provided by Flightpath are way to big. 

Doppler.jpg

Antennas.jpg

Nice to see new and accurate parts for the E-3 Jost. I used the Contrails set which was poorly shaped on mine, I reshaped the parts the best I could and then scratch built extras. I wish your stuff was around when I started mine!

Here is mine as it stands now, I will be finishing it up shortly

72_E-3_USAF_76

Edited by Trojan Thunder

Hi Trojan Thunder

What version of the E-3 will be your model? NATO or US?

Right now I'm working on a decals sheet for the USAF E-3s from Tinker AFB, Elmendorf and Kadena. I have most of the decals and stencils done. Next I have to organise all the decals on the sheet. Since I print them on the Inkjet printer I provide only the doned down badges. The colored badges can be used from the kit decalsheet. Also the USAF and insignia for the wings. The US-AIR FORCE from the kit can only be used for an early E-3 without the ESM.It is to large, smaller one on my decal sheet. I used all the new decals on my latest US  E-3B from Kadena, Japan. (Pics attached) It is almost finished. Good luck with your model.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

1.jpg