Revel 1/48 A-6E TRAM Intruder

I built this kit when it was first released back in 1990? I forget, but recall really enjoying both the kit and aircraft itself and always wanted to revisit it. I saw a Asian Mnf released a modern tooling of the Intruder with recessd lines but hadn't heard over warm reviews so I decided to go with the Revell kit as I knew it was a good value.

Found these kick-@ss Fightertown Decals with a unique experimental Desert Scheme:

65bb346f.jpg

Challenge will be matching the decal colors. I picked up these Lifecolor and Vellejo bottles:

e4657cde.jpg

I've spayed Vellejo before but never Lifecolor. I could use some tips- what thinner to use? Tamiya x-20A?

Edited by toadwbg

Started in the pit, which except for the seat lowers is pretty nice OOB as are typical of old Monogram kits. I glued it all together and than painted as its big enough to do that. I added just a little extra detail to the seats with Ejection pull handles and added a missing console behind/between the seats.

68a65e47.jpg

I have some more work to do here with some decals on the upper seat sides, which Fightertown was nice enough to include on there sheet.

I added the intakes before putting the fuselage halves together- these thugs are a real *****! Lots of sanding to get flush, I lost a lot ofraiseddetail here. I'm putting the boarding ladder up as I recall breaking it off old my kit so many times before. Besides it doesn't look scale accurate- very bulky and clumsy in plastic and I didn't want Togo aftermarket.

By the way, using this great reference:

8e89da11.jpg

Edited by toadwbg

I don't recall this kit fitting so bad 20-ish years ago. The speed brakes, arrestor hook part, intakes and bottom panel were sorta ugly. There will be a lot of sanding and filling and lost panel lines. Note I did NOT glue in the nose wheel well sides, this makes seam cleanup around the intakes easier. The sides with doors can be added later.

3310d663.jpg

The fuselage halves themselves weren't horrible. I used superglue in the inside of the long top joint to reinforce the long seam.

I added nose weight with Superglue and spare nuts. I added weight until it balanced between my fingers as sown:

186b495f.jpg

c9a6ba2c.jpg

Edited by toadwbg

Looking good so far, your efforts are paying off. I hesitate to ask this...., but are ya gonna do any scribing. Revellogram is known for those raised lines.

I don't like to rescribe but will probably be doing some here on major lines on the fuselage. I don't mind raised lines, just drives me crazy when they get sanded off!

I'll sometimes just pencil in the missing lines, simple but effective.

Our you can add the spectacular 'Raised Panel Lines' from Archer Fine Transfers - superb for replacing sanded off detail. They are a snap to use and look very convincing under paint. Cheers

I'll check into that, thanks Metroman!

Edit: Aack! About $22 with shipping for these on EBay.... Not sure I want to invest that much if I havn't used them before.

Edited by toadwbg

Fill, sand, repeat. Here some Mr. Surfacer 500 has been slathered on like mud on drywall.

a23b5f8c.jpg

I'll wet sand with a 3M sanding sponge/block at a medium grit than move to a fine grit. I'll follow up with More Mr. Surfacer or Superglue in needed areas.

Not my favorite part of the build :bandhead2:

Edited by toadwbg

Lotsa work I see? I Bought the new kit too and seems to have a few fit issues as well particularly the intakes and boarding ladder! Are you building her with wings spread or folded? That camo paint scheme will look killer!!! :thumbsup:

I have considered doing the wings folded- who makes the parts in the aftermarket?

I am doing the cockpit closed- one less part to break off ;)

Now that I think of it, since I"m already already sanding the poop out of this, maybe I should put it in flight (gear up) too? I don't know, putting those gear doors "closed" might be more than I can chew!

I know! Gear up and wings folded! Yeah! :stupid:

Edited by toadwbg

WOW that wolfpack set is frikkin sweet! I'm thinking about it.

Question is- would the A-6E in camo I'm planning on building have been on a carrier that it's wings would have been folded? I figure this bird might have been based in Kuait during the war. Anyone got some background?

if you look at the pic about halfway down the page you will see a pic of your Intruder with the wings folded

desert camo A-6E

Thanks for the link! I really enjoyed that in-flight photo of a camo Intruder next to the grey one. Where the camo is very effective, the canopy and shadow are still a giveaway.

WOW that wolfpack set is frikkin sweet! I'm thinking about it.

Question is- would the A-6E in camo I'm planning on building have been on a carrier that it's wings would have been folded? I figure this bird might have been based in Kuait during the war. Anyone got some background?

The only problem I see with the Wolfpack wingfold, is that they're the Composite wing design which were not available during Desert Storm. If you could find the Paragon Design wingfold on E-bay That would be the way to go, but they seem to be hard to find. :cheers:

If you could find the Paragon Design wingfold on E-bay That would be the way to go, but they seem to be hard to find. :cheers:

And gonna do nothing but get harder to find as Neil has hung the business up. Better start hitting up all the online shops, ebay and the forum want ads if you're planning on ever getting a set.

You might try n contact these guys http://www.scalenutz.com/

They show that they don't have the A-6 folds currently but if you contact them they might be able to find some. I just recently bought the EA-6 folds and the price and shipping was extremely reasonable.

USD are less than Singapore dollars.

The only problem I see with the Wolfpack wingfold, is that they're the Composite wing design which were not available during Desert Storm. If you could find the Paragon Design wingfold on E-bay That would be the way to go, but they seem to be hard to find. :cheers:

The Paragon Design wingfold is also for the composite winged Intruder.

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=239559&st=20

Edited by PlasticWeapons

Dry fit the cockpit coming and canopy. The rear transparency cracked slightly and fudged up just enough when removing from the sprue that it will have to be replaced :(. I'll order from Revell.

0c6cd5d6.jpg

Any reccomendations for improving the exhausts?

Wings seemed to fit fine except for those Fugly exhausts- seriously, what were they thinking designing them in halves like that? Any ideas for improving these?

404b3ffa.jpg

Edited by toadwbg