I went to visit my mother in Nevada last month. I flew out of Bellingham, WA, and having arrived there plenty early, had time to snap a photo of this that I saw there:

100_0159.jpg

What is this? An F-89?

If the markings are original this is F-89J 53-2453. It was built as F-89D-50-NO and later converted to a J. According to Joe Baugher's excellent web site: "On display at Helena Airport, Montana. Part of a collection given to Montana State University School of Technology. It had been assigned civil registry of N16565 with School District 1, Helena, MT in 1966, presumably as an instructional airframe. In 2010 was under restoration by Heritage Flight Museum, Bellingham, WA."

Sometimes the Internet (and the great people on it) are our friends. My continued thanks to Joe for keeping up his pages, and for Steve for making ARC a go every day!

I believe its nickname is "the scorpion"

Not nickname - official USAF name.

From the Squadron/Signal 'In-Action' book on the F-89......

"Both the air and ground crews at Muroc, after seeing the XF-89 with its high, unswept tail and nose down attitude, remarked that it looked like a Scorpion ready to strike. The name stuck and was later officially recognised by the Air Force."

I suppose it also tied in with Northrop's previous huge night fighter - the P-61 'Black Widow' - both deadly insects with stings :woot.gif:

My F-89 models......

Revell F-89D...

usaf_002.jpg

Hobbycraft F-89B.....

usaf_005.jpg

Ken