Hobby Boss 1/72 UH-1F Huey - Done

Hi Guys

And witt the concluision of the Kiowa, I still nedd to take some pictures of the finished model, here´s the next one on the bench, Hobby Boss 1/72 UH-1F Huey, USAF Bicentenial 1979

The kit is very interesting, some errors for the "F" version, lots of parts for the "P" version - armed - but nothing that with a bit of work cant be improved.

For now I have the fuselage closed and I´m going to start with putty were needed.

On the cockpit/cabin I decided to adapt/redo a few parts and scratch some others. The pics explain it better them me!

To be continued! Hope you enjoy

Feel free to coment!

Best regards

Filipe

HueyF_00.jpg

HueyF_01.jpg

HueyF_02.jpg

HueyF_03.jpg

HueyF_04.jpg

HueyF_05.jpg

HueyF_06.jpg

HueyF_07.jpg

HueyF_08.jpg

HueyF_09.jpg

Edited by Filipe

Felipe, the reason this particular helicopter has alot of "P" model parts is that 64-14493 is a UH-1P. I only flew this helicopter once when I first got stationed at this unit. She was then flown down to Hurlburt Field in Florida and put on static display. That was in 1980. She remains there today as a tribute to the 20 SOS unit that flew gunship helicopters in Vietnam. This unit had a total of three Hueys assigned, one UH-1F and two UH-1P's. The unit was used for range support of the Gila (now Goldwater) Bombing Range. Hope this helps..

Bob

Hi Guys

Thanks for the support Edgar, Arnaud and Bob.

Thanks again Edgar!

Arnaud, both textures were made from aluminium foil. The floor from the top cover of a pack Philadelphia cheese and the wall from aluminium tape used in air conditioners tubing rolled with the x-acto handle to gain the squary texture. If you like I can take some pics of it.

Bob thanks again for the email,nothing like flying it :)

Best regards

Filipe

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

First of all thank you very much Bob for your kind emails, they ere a big help, like we talked, unfortunately no badge on the doors, the provided decals were gigantic and I had no suitable replacement on the spares!

Here is an update on the Huey, major painting done. I used vallejos, the white/dark green as is and the light green/brown are homemade.

I also finished the hook on the hellhole and added an extra "box" in the cabin filled with lead weights to secure a more stable position. Impressive the amount of weights this build includes, I also marked the avionics bay in on the nose, the kit didn't include it.

Heads up for anyone who wants to build this chopper, I added weights to the front, top and bottom of the cockpit and still the position was a bit shaky. It wasn't a tail sitter but it didn't sit comfortably on the skids.

Now I´m going to finish it up, a bit of weathering, light, doors, etc.

To be continued! Hope you enjoy

Feel free to coment!

Best regards

Filipe

HueyF_35.jpg

HueyF_36.jpg

HueyF_37.jpg

HueyF_38.jpg

HueyF_39.jpg

HueyF_40.jpg

Hi Guys

Thanks for the support Ray and Rod.

Here is the final update on the Huey, project finisshed. Since the last one only a few details needed to be done, I ended up doing them this past week. So here it is!

Hope you enjoy

Feel free to coment!

Best regards

Filipe

HueyF_47.jpg

HueyF_48.jpg

HueyF_49.jpg

HueyF_50.jpg

HueyF_51.jpg

HueyF_52.jpg

HueyF_53.jpg

HueyF_54.jpg

HueyF_55.jpg

HueyF_56.jpg

I really like what you were able to do with the kit. :thumbsup:

Filipe,

Great job! One thing you may want to change at some point is the rotor. Both Italeri and Hobby Boss stuck the same rotor in their three short bodied Huey kits (B,C, and F). The F uses the 48 ft. 205 rotor just like a UH-1D/H and not the short 44ft. rotor found on the UH-1B. You could fix that easy by robbing a D/H model kit of it's rotor. In any event it looks great. keep up the good work and post more soon!

Ray

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Thank you for the support Tank, Rotorwash, Arkhunter and Bob.

Bob special thanks for all those emails with precious info. Beeing you a former "Huey Driver" I´m very glad you like it!

Here´s a extra photo of the left skid repaired. I completely missed it during the build. Unforgiven!

Best regards

Filipe

HueyF_68.jpg

Edited by Filipe
  • 2 weeks later...