Starting this one up since I'm about to spray paint. Got this at the Cleveland Model show on the cheap. Looks like a fairly easy kit although paint will be difficult. Figured since I had to paint a bunch of stuff for the next bike black I'd just get all these parts started as well. Probably won't actually start construction for a few more days. Still finishing up the EVO IV WRC car I started before the GB began.

642b7fef.jpg

658e8063.jpg

b63fc5ca.jpg

K

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up....

I built this kit when it first came out, about 11 years ago. I had it out of the display case recently and found that the rubbery tires and the plastic wheels were reacting with each other. In my dim memory I believe that I had sprayed the wheels with glosscoat for decaling but I don't think I sprayed the actual rims where the tires sit. I would suggest some lacquer or acrylic should be sprayed all over the wheel rims before mounting the tires.

Thanks Daryl I went ahead and painted the wheels completely before putting the tires on. Hopefully this will alleviate that.

Anyway getting this going. I'm going to be doing the front suspension assembly first so I can join the upper and lower body pieces to sand them smooth. Will require some annoying masking but there's no way around that.

Wheel decals went on quite nicely.

04ae4420.jpg

The office is just some gloss black with a few decals.

5fd3042c.jpg

ad3ae04a.jpg

674a337c.jpg

The engine will be hidden like most F1 models so I won't paint it or anything.

Hopefully have the front shored up here shortly.

Yea that's very nice. I won't go to the level of work that guy did but I'm following the same steps somewhat. I cant seem to find very good reference material on the web for the car. Ive found about a dozen pictures but nothing really large and close up. I'd like to see how he attached all the front suspension after the body was glued. That would make sanding much easier by I fear the bond trying to fit stubs in instead of the single pieces they would be. Maybe I'll ponder that here in a little bit.

Yea that's very nice. I won't go to the level of work that guy did but I'm following the same steps somewhat. I cant seem to find very good reference material on the web for the car. Ive found about a dozen pictures but nothing really large and close up. I'd like to see how he attached all the front suspension after the body was glued. That would make sanding much easier by I fear the bond trying to fit stubs in instead of the single pieces they would be. Maybe I'll ponder that here in a little bit.

I did what he did, putting in upper front suspension, so that I could putty & sand body halves, with sanding sticks it was easy to do that.

Dave

I did what he did, putting in upper front suspension, so that I could putty & sand body halves, with sanding sticks it was easy to do that.

Dave

Yeah I have the upper front suspension in. He didn't have any suspension in which means he cut the top suspension. Also he didn't put the driver's tub in till after decals and I don't know how he did that either. I cut the back out of the bottom half of the body and tried to see if once glued I could slide the tub in and it wasn't happening. So my tub is glued in and will have to be masked.

Here she is before putty and sanding.

33e91e25.jpg

281a1edd.jpg

04ae888a.jpg

I see lots of sanding in my future.

As for the fuel door and other items missing from the kit I won't be bothering with any of that. Oob is the way for me.

If I don't get on again before then Merry Christmas to everyone.

K

• 2 weeks later...

With the Duc finishing up I pulled this back out. Sanded away some of the nose seam. Just applied some Tamiya surface primer. Once that dries I'll sand again and see if any further filler is needed. I'm hoping the SP will do the trick.

After that I have to decide what to build next. It'll be a car since I've done a few bikes so far. May make a thread with options and let you all decide.

Probably will make thread in auto forums though so not to clutter here.

Built the engine up and have dry fit everything. Happy to say the fit is quite good. Didn't do anything to the engine as you can see it's non existent with the body on.

849ac788.jpg

Also drilled out the ends of the exhaust pipes. Still have to weather them a bit and touch up here and there.

89ca4956.jpg

Still a lil bit of seam work but progress is good so far. This was the last bit of my primer so I didn't get to spray the whole thing and only focused on where I was concerned.

33423f75.jpg

Since I ran out of primer and there's things on here that needed to be white anyway I shot everything with 2 cotes of Insignia White.

1c862de6.jpg

4d20e648.jpg

After I apply some Future I'll be able to build and decal the front and rear wing. Also will Future the main body several times and let it cure a while so I can mask it in places for the blue paint.

Either that or I'll mask it and paint prior to Future and then just Future the whole thing.

Pretty simple kit but it's looking pretty good. Long as I don't butcher the paint job.

Almost there...

Still have to do the other sides of the tires.

e640b159.jpg

Assembled the wings and applying Future.

4b49bd1c.jpg

Rear wing turned out good.

9e796ccb.jpg

Still a few more decals to go on the wings but otherwise they're complete.

Maybe tomorrow decals on the body.

Situation Normal...

Decaling began. Started with the nose. Everything going great till I get to the big white piece that wraps around the cockpit. It went on fine and had no problems. Till I decided to use heat to speed the MicroSol. Failed to remember front suspension arms are just hanging there.

Ask me what went bad.

Might be able to fix it but I will have to replace one arm completely. Not sure with what yet.

Has some serious camber at the front wheels now.

Fack!

c4ce77e2.jpg

I'm OK with the fix except that the left one is further back than the right now. I may have to break it apart and do the same thing I did on the right side. Yes that's a toothpick suspension arm replacement.

:bandhead2:

Edited by Bigasshammm

A lil better

07e77b2f.jpg

Probably best I can do without cutting it all apart and completely rebuilding something new.

I have yet to see if the body skirts fit still though since they kind of go through the suspension.

I think I'll put it away for the day

crash it...F1 cars love to dangle the front suspension after a shunt!

I thought about that if I couldn't fix it. I think I've got it sorted enough that once the tires are on it should look ok.

Most of the decals are on. Still waiting for a few of them to settle.

Pics in a bit.

Pics

dd15f464.jpg

2a49676d.jpg

d46fc9c3.jpg

Edited by Bigasshammm

Calling it done. I didn't touch the tires. I wanted them shiny as if it's a museum car now so I left the inner ring on them. It doesn't look bad considering the front suspension was bent up like a birds wings at one point.

I don't like the camera pod either and wish I would have filled the hole and left it off. Oh well.

It'll look fine in the case where you can't get close to it.

K