Hasegawa F-4G with diorama (page 3)

Hi, this is my last model, an Hasegawa F-4G with Aires cockpit and exhaust, Eduard Brassin seats and wheels, Afterburner decals (tail numbers were self made), Eduard RBF strips...

Beautiful work, I really like your paint job in particular. I have some info about 69-7235 you might find interesting. 235 was a MiG killer from back when she was still an F-4E. I'm guessing when she still had white tail codes (prior to 1978 or thereabouts) she may have carried the kill mark, but for sure when I photographed her in December 1982 she did. Here's my photo of 69-7235 at George AFB, assigned to the 562 TFS, 37 TFW:

69-7235GeorgeAFBDecember1982ScottRWilson.jpg

Prior to the wing split (the 35 TFW was split into two wings, the 35th and 37th in March 1981), 69-7235 was assigned to the 39 TFS, 35 TFW. I don't have a photo of her in the white numbers and codes but I do have this one from 1980 after they were changed to black. I don't know who the photographer was:

69-723539TFS.jpg

And since this is critique corner, I have an observation to make. You might not want to change a thing since your model is so attractive as it is. But for those who are interested in accuracy, the first deliveries of AGM-88s were in 1982 (several years after the timeframe this model depicts), with full production not authorized until March 1983, production missiles deployed in 1984, and Initial Operational Capability (crews trained and certified) in 1985. FWIW, I never saw a F-4G carrying both AGM-78 Standard ARMs and AGM-88s at the same time. But like I said, the model is really beautiful and I certainly could understand if it's left as is.

Here's a shot I took of test AGM-88s on an F-4G in May 1982, George AFB, the first AGM-88s I personally ever saw:

AGM-88on562TFSF-4GMay1982GeorgeAFBScottRWilson.jpg

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Scott,

thanks for the nice pictures!

This is the picture I took as a reference:

F4G.jpg

I'm aware of the Harm/Standard issue, but that is the the external loadout the commissioner asked me to do...He wanted a really mean looking machine...

Bye!

Scott,

thanks for the nice pictures!

This is the picture I took as a reference:

I'm aware of the Harm/Standard issue, but that is the the external loadout the commissioner asked me to do...He wanted a really mean looking machine...

Bye!

That's cool about the missiles. If it were my model I wouldn't have changed it either.

That's a very nice photo, where did you find it? Interesting it doesn't have the MiG kill marking. I have two photos I've collected from the web of 69-7235 before her F-4G conversion. One has the MiG kill, the other doesn't:

69-7235.jpg

69-7235SC.jpg

Here's some more photos I took of 235 if you're interested:

69-7235February1982GeorgeAFBScottRWilson.jpg

69-7235GeorgeAFBFeb1982ScottRWilson.jpg

Those aren't dust specks at the top of this next photo; they're O-2 Skymasters in the traffic pattern at Nellis:

69-7235NellisAFBMarch1982ScottRWilson.jpg

69-7235McChordAFBJune1989ScottRWilson.jpg

69-7235MiGkillJune1989ScottRWilson.jpg

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Hate to be a ********, but... :whistle: But it might just be some publicity shot though...

Cool shot, and I stand corrected (I've seen that photo before but forgot all about it!)

Here's a couple of shots I took with a telephoto at George of Weasels carrying AGM-78s and Mavericks:

69-0302May1982GeorgeAFBScottRWilson.jpg

69-0302May1982GeorgeAFBCAScottRWilson.jpg

69-029869-0302May1982GeorgeAFBScottRWilson.jpg

Edited by Scott R Wilson

That is simply one of the most amazing Phantoms I've ever seen. How did you get those panel lines accented so well? Can you describe your technique? After seeing that loadout I want to build one myself. Thanks for showing.

That is simply one of the most amazing Phantoms I've ever seen. How did you get those panel lines accented so well? Can you describe your technique? After seeing that loadout I want to build one myself. Thanks for showing.

I accentuated the the panel lines with a scriber, since the mould is pretty old and the lines were quite shallow. With painting completed, I diluted some oil color in turpentine and had it flow along the panel lines; I waited 2 or 3 minutes, then I cleaned up the oil colour that overflowed around the panel lines, using a n°1 brush moistened in turpentine, trying to push the oil color back inside the panel lines. I then gave the entire model the usual treatment with Future and Gunze Flat Clear. I used a dark green oil color on the green camouflage, a dark brown on the sand and a dark grey for the underside of the model.

Cheers!

This is a wonderful model. Thanks for sharing. The old school all-stencil phantoms surely look awesome. May I ask what paint you used (brand and number) for the light brown color? I am having difficulty with this color and yours looks very nice. Thanks.

May I ask what paint you used (brand and number) for the light brown color? I am having difficulty with this color and yours looks very nice. Thanks.

Unfortunately I cannot give you a precise reference for the light brown color, as it was self made a few years ago when I built my first Vietnam-era subject; anyway, the base color was Gunze H310, to which I added some yellow, some red and light grey (sorry, but I really don't recall the exact amount of the colours I added...just a few drops in the Gunze jar though...).