Hasegawa F-4G with diorama (page 3)

WOW...that IS one MEAN looking Weasel...

I am just starting a F-4G as well...have bought the Aires 'pit and Afterburner decals... But I have a question, do you have a WIP thread on this? It doesnt say much in the box how to fit the Aires pit...how much plastic has to be cut away on the original model and so forth... So I would like to see how you did it!!

Great job!!

FO

I am just starting a F-4G as well...have bought the Aires 'pit and Afterburner decals... But I have a question, do you have a WIP thread on this? It doesnt say much in the box how to fit the Aires pit...how much plastic has to be cut away on the original model and so forth... So I would like to see how you did it!!

I don't have a WIP thread here on ARC, but I have one on an italian forum:

F-4G

In order to fit the Aires cockpit I had to thin down the sides of the fuselage to a point where they were almost translucent; the bottom of the cockpit tub and the top of the front gear well (Aires too) were also thinned with a Dremel, otherwise they wouldn't fit one above the other...

Let me know if you need some other info...

Cheers!

Edited by Lorebor

Did this one ever wear the later gray scheme with the "WW" code and show the Mig-kill at the same time?

I don't have any photos of 69-7235 with WW codes in the Hill Gray scheme. I photographed it wearing OT tail codes with the MiG kill as you saw above, as did my friend Kevin Foy, and later Jim Morrow photographed it at Mojave wearing 57 FWW markings and WA codes.

Here's Kevin's photo, from 1989 so probably very shortly after getting painted in Hill Gray:

69-7235December21989GeorgeAFBKevinFoy.jpg

And Jim's photo from 1996 just before 235 was converted into a QF-4G. Hard to believe they didn't save this jet for a museum:

69-7235MojaveNov201996.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Lovely built but in "painting case", are the panel lines not too dark?

Would have to agree. A nice build and beautifully executed cammo... stunning in fact, but judging from the numerous pictures of the real or similarly coloured Phantoms on this thread the panel lines do seem rather dark.

However, I know you're not the first, and you certainly won't be the last to do this.

First off all:

Danm thats a nice looking Phantom.... I love it

then:

I think Scott is right

By the time a Phanton could have carried Live AGM 88 as the model have, the STARM was long gone, most of them

sold to Israel and made good use during "Peace for gallilea".

I notish that all rounds are inert

the AGM 65 and AGM 45 are quite correct thoug

But again since this is a commisioned build.....

One small thing, I think that the weathering (panel line wash)is just a little bit to much... I would have toned it down just a tad or maybe use a lighter colour so the contrast is not that great.

Once again its a real beauty..

Bo

Hate to be a ********, but... :whistle:

F-4G_Phantom_II_wild_weasel.jpg

But it might just be some publicity shot though...

Edited by factacnapalm
  • 2 weeks later...

That is simply one of the most amazing Phantoms I've ever seen. How did you get those panel lines accented so well? Can you describe your technique? After seeing that loadout I want to build one myself. Thanks for showing.

I second that; the panel lines are incredible :jaw-dropping:

The overall detail is fantastic.

Thanks everybody...I really appreciate it...

(snip)

I added a few resin figures (Verlinden) around the plane, plus some other stuff from the Black Dog range...

Bye!

Really cool, excellent painting on the figures! Minor things you may be interested to know: we USAF types only chocked the main wheels, never all three wheels. The Germans often chocked the nosewheels from what I recall, but we never chocked that one. Also after the Vietnam days we were not permitted to go without shirts; we had to have at least a T-shirt on. I still remember being TDY to Decimommannu, out on the ramp on a scorching hot day, and being envious of the Brits working on their FG.1 Phantoms on the ramp next to us wearing nothing but shorts and shoes.

I'm trying to think of some aircraft maintenance thing the big metal pot could be used for, but I'm coming up with a blank on that. Also our fatigues during the timeframe your model depicts didn't have those pockets on the sides of the pant legs, but that's so minor it was hardly worth mentioning. Perhaps your jet was stopping in at a non-US base during a deployment and those guys aren't USAF, so all your details are just fine!

I'm trying to think of some aircraft maintenance thing the big metal pot could be used for, but I'm coming up with a blank on that.

TobiK got it right: the guy is just bringing some "minestrone" (vegetables soup, in italian) to the crew :P ...

Being serious, I just had to stick something into that guy's hands, otherwise I'd have to modify its posture by cutting, sanding, polishing etc...the big pot fit just right with the resin figure and that saved me a lot of time...

Thanks for the info about the uniforms!

TobiK got it right: the guy is just bringing some "minestrone" (vegetables soup, in italian) to the crew :P ...

Being serious, I just had to stick something into that guy's hands, otherwise I'd have to modify its posture by cutting, sanding, polishing etc...the big pot fit just right with the resin figure and that saved me a lot of time...

Thanks for the info about the uniforms!

I wish someone would've brought soup out to the flightline for us! One last thing you should know, we were never allowed to wear hats on the flightline at fighter bases. Too much potential for a hat getting blown off and going down an engine intake. Now when I was reassigned to McChord AFB to work on C-130s and C-141s we had to wear hats on the flightline even around the jets. It always bothered me to do that, even after five years at McChord it just felt wrong. Still, I never heard of a cargo plane being FODded out by a hat.

Scott W.

Wow! How did I miss this build? Since I'm building a similar F-4 myself right now and I have a new found eagle eye for F-4 details, I'm pleased to say that I can find NOTHING wrong and you did a marvelous job. Fantastic presentation!

As a side note, I'm not sure about those black-looking lights at the rear of each wing-tip. Shouldn't they be green on the right and red on the left- or maybe it's a "G" thing?

Edited by chuck540z3

As a side note, I'm not sure about those black-looking lights at the rear of each wing-tip. Shouldn't they be green on the right and red on the left- or maybe it's a "G" thing?

Chuck, you are correct. There are lights at the rear of each wingtip, red on the left and blue-green on the right. They used them for flying formation at night. F-4Gs had them too.

Scan916.jpg

Scan910.jpg