I realize this is "General" discussion but why is it necessary to post bad news, sad news and tragic news here? Don't we get inundated enough with this all day long on the radio, TV, printed media and on the internet? Instead of heading your post with 'Man Kills so and so' or 'Someone killed my neighbors dog' or even family tragedies, maybe the post heading could just read 'Bad News', this way, those who don't want to be subjected to any more bad news won't have a clue what the bad news is as opposed to still knowing just by the title of the post. Maybe we can even have a forum of just bad news then all who want to get even more negativity can get their fill of it there.

I'm sorry and don't mean to offend anyone, but really, it sucks getting on ARC to escape all the bad news just to find it slapping you in the face here as well.

Have a great Holiday Season.

By that token, all other posts should just be titled "Good News" then ?

How should this thread be more properly titled then ?

Let's see, "Complaint" might be more apropos ...

Lets go with a more generic post titling system for now on, good idea ...

Gregg

General means general and can mean a varity of subjects. Its as simple as a click of a button, if your not interested "MOVE ON" at least some modelers have hearts in the correct places and are there for each other. Some just like to be heard, and also some stories posted, we may not know the whole truth. What if a family member was involved but the person posting doesn't want that known.

Edited by Iron Man

Since this is a forum about modeling I've always believed that "general" meant general modeling topics that aren't apropos to the other areas.

If I want to discuss my car, bourbon, cooking, or gardening, there are other forums I post to that provide much better conversation than I'll get here. So yea, let's keep the conversation to modeling and related subjects.

I agree with what most of the things Sean is saying, everyone here has one thing in commom MODELLING. I have no problems if someone posts that a family member is very sick or has past-away and your asking for thoughts and prayers. We've all been there so it's nice to have a place to post your feelings because someone here has gone thru it and may have some words of encouragement and sympathy.

What I don't need to know or here about (this will sound calus SORRY) is someone's neighbour 5 miles away killed their wife I read or hear about that everyday.

It's nice to come here and read about everyone's live's good or bad.

Don

Well then, lets keep the sports topics off of here, the looking for work topics and in return, the "I got a new job" topics are out too ...

Lets keep the birth of a new child topics out as well, we really don't need to know you've spawned another kid ... "I got a new car/truck", yup, out ... Sure, it's modeling related but do we need a freaking "Stash" thread every 2 months ? Also, no more seeking advice for a new computer or computer troubles threads seeking help ... No more "Look what my wife baked" threads either ... Please refrain from posting about the weather in your area as well, it bothers us ... All you're going to end up with is one boring site that will have taken the "community" out of it ...

I guess I started this ill feeling by posting about the double homicide near my home, the guy lived so close, just around the corner ... THAT'S why I mentioned it ... Won't happen again ...

-Gregg

What I would like to see is more of the "Hey look what I have built or Question about the loadout on this aircraft?"

Anyone notice, they aint as much modeling going on as they used to be? Dont care what ya post, just want to see a lot more on modeling and references.

Chhhhhh...ch...ch..changes......

Bring back the good ole modeling stuff we all used to love!

-Jim

What I would like to see is more of the "Hey look what I have built or Question about the loadout on this aircraft?"

Anyone notice, they aint as much modeling going on as they used to be? Dont care what ya post, just want to see a lot more on modeling and references.

Chhhhhh...ch...ch..changes......

Bring back the good ole modeling stuff we all used to love!

-Jim

There are those respective forums, Jim ...

Jet Modeling, Prop, Helicopter, etc ...

I see those questions all the time ...

And folks are always posting their latest builds in the Display Cabinet and Critique Forums all the time as well as builds going on in In Progress and the various GB Forums ...

Gregg

I think those who are complaining about negativity in this forum should have a good look at the title of the forum itself. Does not the title mention those words "But off topic is OK too"? Gregg, I wouldn't worry about the whiners, they don't have to click on the topic if they don't want to. What a boring GD forum it'd be if it was all just and only about modelling. I personally click on very few topics about American football or baseball mainly because I don't understand toses games very well. If'it's a topic about cricket or rugby I might click on it to have a gander. If it's a topic about aircraft, cars or modelling I'm more than likely to have a look at it.

I can't see the big deal about such threads. GD is supposed to be about life, the good and bad sides of it. This morning I just bought a 12V 4X4 scissor jack from Aldi. So what you say? Well, it'll sure make my life a lot easier when I get a flat in my 2 tonne AWD wagon that's for sure.

Ross.

Well then, lets keep the sports topics off of here, the looking for work topics and in return, the "I got a new job" topics are out too ...

Lets keep the birth of a new child topics out as well, we really don't need to know you've spawned another kid ... "I got a new car/truck", yup, out ... Sure, it's modeling related but do we need a freaking "Stash" thread every 2 months ? Also, no more seeking advice for a new computer or computer troubles threads seeking help ... No more "Look what my wife baked" threads either ... Please refrain from posting about the weather in your area as well, it bothers us ... All you're going to end up with is one boring site that will have taken the "community" out of it ...

I guess I started this ill feeling by posting about the double homicide near my home, the guy lived so close, just around the corner ... THAT'S why I mentioned it ... Won't happen again ...

-Gregg

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Edited by Iron Man

4e5466b7dc69f1314154167_blog.jpg

Just avoid GD or don't click is probably easiest tho. :thumbsup:

Uuhhhhhhun.

Good News everyone! You'll be making a trip to Ebola 9, the virus planet!

Good News everyone! You'll be making a trip the galaxy of pain

Good News everyone! Today you'll be delivering a crate of subpoenas to Sicily 8, the Mob Planet!

Good News everyone! I've taught the toaster to feel love

Definitely a source of good news.

I realize this is "General" discussion but why is it necessary to post bad news, sad news and tragic news here? Don't we get inundated enough with this all day long on the radio, TV, printed media and on the internet? Instead of heading your post with 'Man Kills so and so' or 'Someone killed my neighbors dog' or even family tragedies, maybe the post heading could just read 'Bad News', this way, those who don't want to be subjected to any more bad news won't have a clue what the bad news is as opposed to still knowing just by the title of the post. Maybe we can even have a forum of just bad news then all who want to get even more negativity can get their fill of it there.

I'm sorry and don't mean to offend anyone, but really, it sucks getting on ARC to escape all the bad news just to find it slapping you in the face here as well.

You don't need to read the post. So just move on.

I really don't have any issues with reading about the so called negative. The way I see it is we share a common interest in aircraft modelling. So, we all have this in common. The other topics in this general area are often very interesting, fun, and sometimes a little touching. The topics that are not of interest to me I don't read. Simple as that.

I can really appreciate having a group of people with common interests to share tough issues. There is an overwhelming amount of support which can be really helpful.

Rob

Well said Rob. I didn't mean to be so harsh in my previous post, just had a bad day I guess. I've had a beer and calmed down a little. Sorry. As bad or negative as things in life get, just remember it could always be worse, trust me. If you go through life viewing the glass half empty, your doomed, and I feel sorry for you. Just my two cents.......

Well said Rob. I didn't mean to be so harsh in my previous post, just had a bad day I guess. I've had a beer and calmed down a little. Sorry. As bad or negative as things in life get, just remember it could always be worse, trust me. If you go through life viewing the glass half empty, your doomed, and I feel sorry for you. Just my two cents.......

I don't think what you said was harsh at all. Life can really stomp on a person day in and day out. Having the ability to vent and share the load with others that understand helps us all cope with the bad times.

Getting lost in a model is a great way to forget what bothers us.

I really agree with you, there's already enough News channel on Radio, TV, internet...

I see no real need to get any non-modelling related topics (even if it's ok too)here, unless you really wanted to share something personal.

it's a little like political topics... to choose to talk of some news, instead of an other, is already kind-of political matter...

same for sports topics, they are annoying... they make me scroll down forum pages faster... they makes the forum pages less interesting! there is also already enough media space devoted to sport related events... i think sport is good, sports are good... but sports discussions are also kind-of like political discussions....

because, off-topic is ok too... but should still subordinate to the "MAINLY modelling related" ... which, after verification, seems to be respected (by now, at this moment, there is 17 out of the 21 non-pinned topics, to be, modelling or aviation related topics, on the GD forum first page.)

WHY? I'm pretty new to the site and LOVE the fact I can read model related and non model topics all in the same place. I don't want to go to other forums to talk about baseball. I might comment on a new pitcher for my favorite team, but I don't like baseball enough to be on a forum for it!!!! Same goes for everything else non model related, THAT'S WHY IT'S THE GD FORUM!!!!!!!! I've been in maternity wards with less cry babys!!!!! Like I said before, LIFE SUCKS,GET A HELMET. If you want modeling, scroll down, ignore GD, and just build your models you heartless loosers. Now I know why my wife has the the impression that people who build models are mostly single geeks that have no social skills.......I always defended our hobby and said, no,no, most are pretty normal.......now I'm begining to wonder.........

Edited by AVGBob

Sean

Then WE WONT BE ABLE TO HEAR HOW WELL YOU DID BUIDLING FOR THE VETERANS or what you are doing for them...You wont be able to tell us ALL that anymore...Shame!Tsk!!

Or that you are being invited to the Vet's Home for dinner for Thanksgiving Day...

Or that you built a fabulous model for the Veteran who flew a B-25 ..etc

That would be a real shame... :sarcasm_on:

Or we wont be able to share your enthusiam about you wanting to raise capital for buying more things for the Vets like you posted a few wekes back and I BACKED you ! or that you flew with the Vets and their spouses on a historic flight as you once did !

Nah..Geez!! I would miss that Terry's wife is not so well or that a lovely ARC member suddely passed away or some Veteran passed away at aged 90 passed away and we all miss him...

or that you made the News and the clip of that news reel was posted about how you build models for the Veterans and their families..Nah I'D MISS ALL THAT.. :tongue-in-cheek:

Sorry Sean I like THE GD and OFF TOPICS that we are allowed to post..!!

what a miserable life it would be if we could not have giggle or two or a laugh about it...

I vote that GD stays ...as it is !!! :taunt:

AND FOR THE SMILIES too. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Edited by HOLMES

Sean

Then WE WONT BE ABLE TO HEAR HOW WELL YOU DID BUIDLING FOR THE VETERANS or what you are doing for them...You wont be able to tell us ALL that anymore...Shame!Tsk!!

Or that you are being invited to the Vet's Home for dinner for Thanksgiving Day...

Or that you built a fabulous model for the Veteran who flew a B-25 ..etc

That would be a real shame... :sarcasm_on:

Or we wont be able to share your enthusiam about you wanting to raise capital for buying more things for the Vets like you posted a few wekes back and I BACKED you ! or that you flew with the Vets and their spouses on a historic flight as you once did !

Nah..Geez!! I would miss that Terry's wife is not so well or that a lovely ARC member suddely passed away or some Veteran passed away at aged 90 passed away and we all miss him...

or that you made the News and the clip of that news reel was posted about how you build models for the Veterans and their families..Nah I'D MISS ALL THAT.. :tongue-in-cheek:

Sorry Sean I like THE GD and OFF TOPICS that we are allowed to post..!!

what a miserable life it would be if we could not have giggle or two or a laugh about it...

I vote that GD stays ...as it is !!! :taunt:

AND FOR THE SMILIES too. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

YES! YES! YES!

Isn't that why we have mods? To remove or move inappropriate topics? I don't really mind at all non-related topics being posted. In fact, I can't tell you how many times I've "heard it here first". If it's a topic I have no interest in, I just move on past it. That is unless said topic starts getting many posts or pages long, then I may pop in to see what all the hubbub is about. Are there lots of annoying, uninteresting (to me) topics? You bet, but I'd rather have the option to censor myself than have the Big Brother deciding which topics may be posted and which cannot.

Where would we draw the line, and who draws it?

*edit* aaand another thing, I already spend more time on here than I should (losing bench time), so it's actually kind of nice to catch some of the news stories (also don't watch news on TV really) here since I don't get around the web all that much.

Edited by blunce