I just picked up a Minicraft 777 with the Fantasy 'Lindbergh Line' New York-Paris decals. However, when I opened it, I discovered to my dismay that one of the plastic sprues was missing an air inlet for the engine! The sprue is still wrapped in its original plastic, so I did not loose it myself.. it must be a factory error. Anyway, after a bit of research, I discovered that it was actually not a bad loss at all as KLM operates its T7s with GE engines and the kit comes with PWs. Does anybody know of some after-market GE engines for the T7 in 1:144 scale?

The whole engine thing aside, is there anything that I should know about this kit? Rarity, fit, accuracy, etc..... It would be nice to know.

Thanks!

runway34r

I just picked up a Minicraft 777 with the Fantasy 'Lindbergh Line' New York-Paris decals. However, when I opened it, I discovered to my dismay that one of the plastic sprues was missing an air inlet for the engine! The sprue is still wrapped in its original plastic, so I did not loose it myself.. it must be a factory error. Anyway, after a bit of research, I discovered that it was actually not a bad loss at all as KLM operates its T7s with GE engines and the kit comes with PWs. Does anybody know of some after-market GE engines for the T7 in 1:144 scale?

The whole engine thing aside, is there anything that I should know about this kit? Rarity, fit, accuracy, etc..... It would be nice to know.

Thanks!

runway34r

I just finished building that very same boxing. Depends of the engines basically, if you're doing a GE90-114 you can order from Contrails. I did mine with GE90-94's so I had to get the Continental boxing and steal those. As for fit, overall it is very good, but watch out on the wings and tails are a bit too thick on the trailing edges, but nothing to worry about. Note, if you use another kit's engines, check out the fit on the wing, mine didn't require filling but I had to trim and thin down the pylons, since the GE's are thicker than the PWs. One other thing though - the nose is off, and looks weird. Its way too round and the windshield is just too slanted. Contrails saves you here again, they have this nose correction for the kit. Use it, it is totally worth it.

On my bird I also used Contrai's metal landing gear, saves you tons of work by being soft metal, so you cand bend it to alignment very easily.

Here's a link to my build, check out the nose...

HTH!!

Take Care

edit for typo

Edited by MaRiO FDZ

Thanks!

runway34r

Hi,

I bought the same kit and like you only realized that it contained PW engines and not the GE's I needed for my BA bird. I than contacted Minicraft and asked them if it was possible to buy a pair of GE engines. That was no problem and it only cost me 8 or 10 bucks. That was still in the time that I got $1,40 for my €1 however. SO maybe you can get GE's in this way as well. If I am not mistaken do KLM's 772's have the GE90-94 so contrail's engines are no use.

I haven't build the kit yet, but it doesn't look like a difficult job. To me it has two downsides: 1. no open windows and 2. the typical nod in the roof behind the cockpit is not visible on the kit. As I haven't found a way to fix these two issues I will keep the kit in the box for the moment. Nevertheless am I very interested in your build.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help guys. I will try to contact Minicraft and ask for some GE engines, and will be using the Contrails nose and gear as well. I probably won't get around to building her until after Christmas, but stay tuned as I might make this into my first 'In-Progress thread' build.

I just contacted Minicraft, and it is a no-go on their GEs as they do not have any more in stock. Is there any discernable difference between the -94Bs and the -115Bs? Does anyone know of any company who makes the -94B? Do I have any options or is the KLM not an option?

I just contacted Minicraft, and it is a no-go on their GEs as they do not have any more in stock. Is there any discernable difference between the -94Bs and the -115Bs? Does anyone know of any company who makes the -94B? Do I have any options or is the KLM not an option?

The 115B is Longer in size, due to the fact that it has an extra compressor, the fan blades are curved (not straight as in the -94) and the Cowling diameter is slightly larger on the -115.

My take would be trade it for a Continental boxing, I got mine in Ebay. No one manufactures the -94Bs, AFAIK.

Edit:

Here's some research I did some time ago on how to differentiate what engine your kit has... Basic external differences between engines. Considering the GE90-115 is NOT in any kit, this leaves us with one out of 3 options.

Pratt's PW9094 has the Smallest intake diameter, and the cowling shrinks towards the front. The N1 Spinner Cone is completely rounded.

RR's Trents are medium, and the Intake is either canted forward in the upper part or flattened at the bottom. The N1 Fan is the deepest into the cowling, and the Spinner is straight Conical profile.

GE's GE90-94B should be the largest intake available. The N1 is the Shallowest, and the Spinner is Conical but with a slight round profile

HTH

Take Care

Edited by MaRiO FDZ

The 115B is Longer in size, due to the fact that it has an extra compressor, the fan blades are curved (not straight as in the -94) and the Cowling diameter is slightly larger on the -115.

My take would be trade it for a Continental boxing, I got mine in Ebay. No one manufactures the -94Bs, AFAIK.

Edit:

Here's some research I did some time ago on how to differentiate what engine your kit has... Basic external differences between engines. Considering the GE90-115 is NOT in any kit, this leaves us with one out of 3 options.

Pratt's PW9094 has the Smallest intake diameter, and the cowling shrinks towards the front. The N1 Spinner Cone is completely rounded.

RR's Trents are medium, and the Intake is either canted forward in the upper part or flattened at the bottom. The N1 Fan is the deepest into the cowling, and the Spinner is straight Conical profile.

GE's GE90-94B should be the largest intake available. The N1 is the Shallowest, and the Spinner is Conical but with a slight round profile

HTH

Take Care

Thanks. Do you know which airlines use the 115B? I'm open to modeling a different airline than I wanted to originally.

All 777-200LR, 777-300ER, and 777F aircraft have -115Bs. If you are open to doing some surgery and stretching your model, you could still do a KLM aircraft, as KLM also fly -300ERs:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/KLM---Royal/Boeing-777-306-ER/2027100/L/

Note that if you're going to make any of the "long range" 777 versions, you need to add raked wingtips. Also, if you want to do a -300ER, you may want to replicate the "semi-levered" main landing gear.

Compare this (-300ER):

http://www.airliners.net/photo/KLM---Royal/Boeing-777-306-ER/1979939/L/

to this (-300):

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Emirates/Boeing-777-31H/1944276/L/

For other airlines, there are really too many to list. Check this table out and take your pick:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Boeing_777_operators#Active_operators

As for the kit itself, fit is OK in most places. I would thin down the trailing edges of the wings, fin, h-stab, and pylons, and round off the flap track fairings as they should not be squared off. Also, you need to do some trimming down of the kit fuselage to get the Contrails nose to sit properly, otherwise it will be tilted back.

Here's one I built a while ago with the Contrails nose and all of the changes I listed above:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=227152&st=0&p=2168016entry2168016

Nick

Hi, if you are thinking of building the 300ER its very easy to do this on the cheap, go to a diy or hardware store and buy some 41mm plumbing tube for the plugs, winglets made by richw on here for next to nothing and the ge90-115b engines from contrails for $25 shipped. here are the pics of my 777-300 conversion

home made plugs in place front gap is 33mm and the rear is 37mm

777300056.jpg

next up is putty time, i used milliput on my 2nd conversion

777300058.jpg

home made winglets made by richw on here, just cup the edge of the tip and superglue on then fill

iphonecr072.jpg

here she is all done in Qatar livery

new052.jpg

she is now being redone in thai airways

hope this helps, thanks chris

• 2 weeks later...

Nice JOB !

I have a question for you.When filling in the windows, do you put anything behind the windows? Do you ever use Tamiya Putty? Your putty from the pics seems to be quite thick, when do you sand it.Do you use a Dremel? actually complete details on your method would be appreciated.

STEPHEN

Hi Stephen, no windows to fill on the minicraft kits! As for filler, this was Revell putty but I like using milliput White for windows. But I use masking tape on the inside with superglue then milliput the windows and sand. All sanding is by hand then go over with some fine wet and dry. If you pm you email I'll forward on the details... Thanks Chris

Here is the refurb of the same aircraft

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234909091

Edited by CUPRAR