If you recently found an RQ-170 could u return it?

The intake/engine bulge is way out of proportion, and the leading edges are much too thick. Any missing panel line detail will have to be scribed- an easy chore, given the mostly smooth outer surface. Also, the paint schemes are somewhat inaccurate, based on the few reference photos available (the pink bird may have been one of the early prototypes, though- I think I remember hearing about that one, but I never saw any solid info regarding the FSxxxxx designation for the color). Any word on decal options? If the kit markings aren't up to snuff (I suspect they won't be, based on the subpar craftsmanship seen here), maybe Two Bobs, TechMod, or Aeromaster can come up with a decent set.

Also, does anyone know if this thing will include a fret of PE? Hopefully it'll include the option of replacing the crude intake screen detail with a nice PE bit, similar to some of Dragon/DML's naval kits.

On a more serious note, AW&ST just had some new pictures of an RQ-170, it shows the underside in better detail, there is a large fixed housing on the bottom with large transparent panels. These are supposedly the same material as was used on the F-22. Inside this housing is a sensor ball. this fairing was added at somepoint when they modified the RQ-170 for full motion video recording.

One of the articles seemed to allude to the fact that the RQ-170 was a cheaper, low-end recon drone using older technology (hence the intake screen similar to an F-117 and there are more sophisticated models in service.

I would still love to know the full story on how this little guy ended up in Iranian hands.

On a more serious note, AW&ST just had some new pictures of an RQ-170, it shows the underside in better detail, there is a large fixed housing on the bottom with large transparent panels. These are supposedly the same material as was used on the F-22.

Not entirely. I am basing this from memory, but i think article specifically said that material was of same sort that was projected on F-22, back when they played with idea of having IRST under nose of it. Real, production (hurr hurr) F-22 doesn't use that material, as it doesn't have any optics windows or IRST.

AEDC_F-22_EO_WT.jpg

One of the articles seemed to allude to the fact that the RQ-170 was a cheaper, low-end recon drone using older technology (hence the intake screen similar to an F-117 and there are more sophisticated models in service.

Whole aircraft screams "We can do better, but in this case, we don't need to". It is not an X-47B, or Dark Star for that matter, that is for sure.

Completely unbuildable!

Alvis 3.1

Indeed, it is already built! :)

Edited by Berkut

I just found out how Iran downed the drone. Remember the saucers?

I always knew that Ahmadinejad was an alien!

I find it interesting that the US has not released any statement, either official or off the record, on the cause of this loss. Big problems if the Iranians really did find a way to hack into the GPS signal, both for future drone operations around the world and for any potential raid on Iran's nuclear sites by a certain unnamed country, which would be highly dependent on GPS guided munitions.

• 2 months later...