If you recently found an RQ-170 could u return it?

That might actually work. :rofl:

Except, as niart pointed out, all the F-14 have been turned into razor blades and scrap metal.

That said, I'd have no problem sending a container of scrap metal to Iran in exchange for the drone.

Except, as niart pointed out, all the F-14 have been turned into razor blades and scrap metal.

That said, I'd have no problem sending a container of scrap metal to Iran in exchange for the drone.

Eyup. As far as they know they will get Tomcat parts. Label the container as Tomcat parts. :rolleyes:

Edited by SoarinSukhoi

I work with a guy who was ground crew for the SR-71. He was telling me they had a similar setup on the Blackbird called DEF DESTRUCT where if the crew was ejecting they hit a button and it fried all the critical electronics and counter-measures etc.

That isn't uncommon. Certain F-4D's that were fitted with COMBAT TREE devices during the Vietnam war had the same thing. If the crew punched out, there was a small explosive charge that would destroy that very sensitive piece of equipment.

If we had technology like that would we even need the drone. :lol:

Don't give them any ideas. :doh:

I'm not aware of any modern vehicle that has a self destruct mechanism. It's a bad idea and not high tech. One should never run into the situation where they would need for it to self destruct unless they were using it as an IED. Any shock or spark has the possibility to set off the explosives it is carrying. A better idea would be to have a long range air-to-air or ground-to-air missile targeting the drone and launched if it is compromised. If it was hacked like the Iranians say, then the real problem lies in the software and the fact that it was probably wrote with the impression that nobody would have the ability to hack into it. We underestimated our enemy once again.

Not modern, but the D-21 drone had a self destruct as part of it's mission profile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_D-21

That isn't quite the same thing as a last resort self-destruct, but it is a precedent of sorts.

Not modern, but the D-21 drone had a self destruct as part of it's mission profile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_D-21

That isn't quite the same thing as a last resort self-destruct, but it is a precedent of sorts.

"The D-21 was designed to carry a single high-resolution photographic camera over a preprogrammed path, then release the camera module into the air for retrieval, after which the drone would self-destruct."

That doesn't seem very cost efficient and I'd hate to have to go recover the camera. What would happen to the camera anyways? Balloons? Parachute?

"The D-21 was designed to carry a single high-resolution photographic camera over a preprogrammed path, then release the camera module into the air for retrieval, after which the drone would self-destruct."

That doesn't seem very cost efficient and I'd hate to have to go recover the camera. What would happen to the camera anyways? Balloons? Parachute?

I always smash my tripod and accessories after I'm done shooting for the day. It's standard practice for any serious photographer, though I prefer to use a sledge instead of a common hammer.

How the drone was hacked

Plausible? I think so...

Who says the USA is over reliant on high tech???

Over reliant on UAVs could be another take. Though not impossible, human pilots are at least harder to trick.

Also people can stop shouting about self destruct since clearly the drones procedures were "autopilot, divert friendly" rather than "Explodium!!!" In other words there were safety systems built in but they were outfoxed. The countermeasure was counter measured.

I also love how one of the virtues of the UAV is "they make poor hostages!" LOL and "they are expendible!" all clearly false. if the featured article is correct, even old crappy drones can provide a key on how to defeat future drones.

How the drone was hacked

Plausible? I think so...

Who says the USA is over reliant on high tech???

Huge problem if correct. Don't forget, most of our precision guided weapons also depend on GPS technology. This might be a bit of a problem if/when someone finally decides to go after their weapon facilities.

I'm just surprised that this drone didn't have an inertial navigation system (INS) as backup.

The Iranians are not the ignorant wackjobs that many folks in the US tend to believe. They have a lot of very intelligent (western educated) engineers who have pulled off some impressive achievements.

Huge problem if correct. Don't forget, most of our precision guided weapons also depend on GPS technology. This might be a bit of a problem if/when someone finally decides to go after their weapon facilities.

I'm just surprised that this drone didn't have an inertial navigation system (INS) as backup.

The Iranians are not the ignorant wackjobs that many folks in the US tend to believe. They have a lot of very intelligent (western educated) engineers who have pulled off some impressive achievements.

It could be interesting if they can take control of cruise missiles and either send them out into the desert or redirect them to a population center back in the country they came from. I wonder if Iran has ever retrieved any unexploded cruise missiles......there has been quite a few cruise missiles used in the past 10 years.....surely a few must have been duds. Learning to take control of nuclear ICBM's could be the ultimate trick.

It could be interesting if they can take control of cruise missiles and either send them out into the desert or redirect them to a population center back in the country they came from. I wonder if Iran has ever retrieved any unexploded cruise missiles......there has been quite a few cruise missiles used in the past 10 years.....surely a few must have been duds. Learning to take control of nuclear ICBM's could be the ultimate trick.

Interesting thought but I think there is a difference.

First of all, even a dud Cruise will probably have crashed into something leaving little useful debris.

Second, I think a drone is far more "interactive" when it comes to operating one.

The pilot will have to have full control of it during it's entire flight even when it is on auto-pilot.

A missile is programmed to fly from A to B and, occasional updates notwithstanding, operates autonomously.

It was always a bit unlikely though to think that nobody anywhere would ever be likely to hack into the data-link.

Edited for bad Englisj

Edited by Dndieje
  • 1 month later...

Oh those crafty Iranians. :)

An Iranian firm, seeking to capitalize on the frenzy that followed the crash of the drone  and American calls to have it returned  is now producing miniaturized toy versions of the craft. Most of the toys, which come in several colors and are made of Iranian plastic, have already been snapped up by Iranian government organizations, according to the group that manufactures them.

At least one model  a pink one  has been reserved for President Obama.

“He said he wanted it back, and we will send him one,†said Reza Kioumarsi, the head of cultural production at the Ayeh Art group.

Ayeh Art group designs “cultural products† mugs with verses of the Koran printed on them, for instance, and small buttons picturing mosques. This month, the firm began producing a 1:80 scaled model of the RQ-170, the sophisticated drone that was being operated by the CIA when it crashed in eastern Iran. The firm is now making 2,000 of them a day.

Link to article.

Looking forward to the first review of Ayeh Art 1/80 RQ-170 kit. Where are our resident fake kit box artists when we need them?

What, you mean like this?!?!

dragonsentinel2.jpg

Heck, I posted this less than 24 hours after Iran TV showed images of the dang thing. ;)

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=241619

I figure Dragon will be first to do a styrene one, given how quick they put out a Stealth Blackhawk after Bin Ladin got lead poisoning. But I understand there was already a resin one out through hlj.com even before the thing crashed.

Edited by Jay Chladek