Italeri 's 1/72 CH-47C/D Chinook

I know the Italeri kit is supposed to be a CH-47C/D, but I got the OzMod's CH-47C rotor blades, thinking I was going to have to go with the Matchbox kit and it's much larger composite rotor blades. However, even comparing the rotor blades in the Italeri CH-47C/D kit with the resin blades, there's a fair bit of visual discrepencies between the two, both in length and the placement of the 'trim tab'.

The length of the resin 'blade' (only the airfoil 'blade') is a scale 24 feet and the cord is 2 feet, 4 inches. The length of the kit piece, 'blade' only is 23 feet, 2 inches with a cord of 2 feet.

Question is ... "has anyone used these OzMod's rotor blades on the Italeri kit?". There is no 'kit specific' instructions, nor does it even mention which kit these resin blades are intended for. A simple kit part replacement doesn't seem to be an option with the Italeri kit, anyway - so any advice would be welcome.

Also, if anyone can tell me which 'blade' is accrurate or the closest to being accurate - based in the measurements above, that would be apperciated as well. I intend to do a CH-147 as it served with the Canadian Armed Forces in the 80's an early 90's.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley

I would have thought the blades would be standard what ever country, I was on the RAF Chinook when it came into service with metal blades and then the plastic ones when they came into service....

BTW seen these ?

http://www.heritageaviationmodelsltd.com/chinook-rotor-blades-raf-spec-45-p.asp

This might help re the blades

http://www.ipms-farnborough.co.uk/html/chinook_review.html

I would have thought the blades would be standard what ever country, I was on the RAF Chinook when it came into service with metal blades and then the plastic ones when they came into service....

In practice, the metal blades should be identical ... but we all know that different kit/aftermarket manufacture's can't seem to agree on the measurement's of identical airframes, let alone rotor blades when the type was still in service!

Thanks for the links, but they both apply to 1/48 scale and I've got the 1/72 Italeri CH-47/HC.1 kit featuring the 'metal' blades. (The Canadian CH-147's were only fitted the 'metal' blades prior to their retirement in '91 and were never updated with the wider 'plasitc or carbon' blades while in CAF service.)

Photos of CH-147 taken in the 80's tend to agree with OzMod's location of the trim tab in the individual blades, which is located much further back from the blade tips than Italeri has molded. Therefore, (assuming OzMod has accurately casted the individual rotor blades) are the OzMod's rotor blades somehow compatible with the Italeri kit without major surgery, or will I need to try to modify the kit parts to the standards of the OzMod castings?

.. a working scanner would be good right about now so we could see the affected parts, eh? ... :crying2:

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley

Thanks for the link, Tony. The good news is that we now have a picture of the exact resin rotor blades that I'm in possession of so we can see what I'm talking about - even though my resin blades are in an OzMod package!

Bad news is that I'm still unclear of how one is expected to use them in conjunction with the Italeri kit. No instructions accompanied the resin parts - therefore no mention of any surgery on kit parts if required. Yet the makers of the resin rotor blades (according to the above link) "can convert any kit back to the early CH-47A or C and early D models".

The problem is that the arms of the resin blades appear to incorporate a portion of the kit-supplied 'rotor head', but with slightly different details ... thus suggesting some surgery - either on the resin 'arms' or the kit-supplied 'rotor head' ... or am I missing something?

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley

G'Day Scott,

The OZMODS CH-47C set is designed for the Matchbox CH-47D (Re-Boxed as Revell) The Blades are simple drop in replacements for the blades in That kit. If at all possible it may be worth trying to source the rotor heads from that kit or as an alternative try and track down pics of the head from the Matchbox kit or the intructions that may be of some help

Good Luck with the Chook Mate Looking forward to pics

Cheers

Cairnsy

The OZMODS CH-47C set is designed for the Matchbox CH-47D

I had a 'gut feeling' that was the case. Thanks for confirming that, Cairnsy. Despite that, I went back to OzMod's claim their resin blades will work on any kit.

I took them out and had a long look at not only the kit rotor assembly and the resin replacement blades, but also photos with an emphasis on the rotor heads, As a result, I think I've 'discovered' how to use the resin blades with the Italeri kit. It's a matter of minor surgery on both the resin arms of the replacement blades and the kit supplied blades - if it works.

I'll see what I can do about pics ... but with my current situation, I can give no guarentees.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley

Scott,

I'd be interested to hear more about your fix as you progress with it. I just had the Ozmods set arrive in the mail last week - I opted for that one for the same reason as you, namely it would "convert any kit back to the early CH-47A or C and early D models".

I guess that's not the case.

Cheers,

Sean