Testing of 3 Alclad new Varnishes

Good morning guys, searching to get some feedback of Alclad's new varnishes i found nothing that would include some photoes. So having ordered and received 3 of them i decided to make a test, like a review, and to present it, so that to get some ''image'' info.

So i took my testing model, a F-4U1A corsair, my Badger Crescendo and the 3 ''suspects''....

P1050850.jpg

P1050854.jpg

First i sprayed White ensign's Olive Drab 41, thinned with Xtracolor thinners, after 1 day and light sanding with 8000 grid micromesh this is the result

th_P1050841.jpg th_P1050842.jpg th_P1050843.jpg th_P1050845.jpg

After that future was sprayed and left it dry for 5 hours

th_P1050846.jpg th_P1050847.jpg th_P1050848.jpg th_P1050849.jpg

...to be continued

John

Finally the three varnishes were sprayed, at 15 psi, 6-7cm from the model, 2 light misting coats.

SEMI MATT

P1050863.jpg

MATT

P1050864.jpg

FLAT

P1050865.jpg

About the testing, all of them had dried in 10 min, no tucky feeling, photoes are without flash, just using some light background to show the texture. I will let them to totally cure in order to make a small ''party'' on them with different stuff.

My humble opinion, the semi-matt one seems a bit more glossy than the other satin ones i have used.

The matt one, i think that has a very good overall texture.

The flat one is a dead matt,

But this is my opinion, i will be waiting for your comments, at least now there is something to judge.

John

Finally the three varnishes were sprayed, at 15 psi, 6-7cm from the model, 2 light misting coats.

SEMI MATT

MATT

FLAT

About the testing, all of them had dried in 10 min, no tucky feeling, photoes are without flash, just using some light background to show the texture. I will let them to totally cure in order to make a small ''party'' on them with different stuff.

My humble opinion, the semi-matt one seems a bit more glossy than the other satin ones i have used.

The matt one, i think that has a very good overall texture.

The flat one is a dead matt,

But this is my opinion, i will be waiting for your comments, at least now there is something to judge.

John

John, thank you for sharing. Besides the convenience factor, how do you compare the results to the use of Future with Tamiya XF-21 "Flat Base"? Drying time?

Sorry for this thread hijack... I've been trying out all different manners of flats and glosses, and I recently settled on using the new Alclad stuff.

John, thank you for sharing. Besides the convenience factor, how do you compare the results to the use of Future with Tamiya XF-21 "Flat Base"? Drying time?

Flat base really works with the overall properties of the paint or coat you're applying it with. So with future its basically the same as future. Personally I find the flat base pretty good, but its really tough to get a consistent finish. Its not easy to get the same ratios and it takes quite a bit of mixing to get a homogeneous mix. Its also easy to have a white residue.

What's the difference between Matte and Flat? Aren't both flat?

Rob

Flat is DEAD flat... probably the flatest coat I've ever seen. You need to be careful not to apply too much, otherwise you start to get the slightest hint of chalky whiteness on the skin. Matte is less flat. If I had to compare it to something it would be like floquil's flat coat... there is a slight hint of sheen.

I have shot all these new Alclad Klear Koats on the last three of my builds...gloss in prep for decals and post decals for weathering...semi matt/matt for the final coats. The stuff is terrific. The gloss is a ton more forgiving than Future, you can spray it on in light coats. By the time you finish coating the model once, you can go back and shoot a second since it dries quickly. No running, puddles or other issues like I have had with Future in the past. It's enamel based. I have used it as a weathering method, basically creating a dark/muddy flat wash and airbrushing it...works like a champ. And since it's flat, you can see the weathering effects right away.

The post shading and stains under the engine and behind the spent casing ejection exits are the dark wash made with Alclad Matt:

DSCN2206.jpg

Post shading/gun stains, and exhaust stains all done with the same (maybe a tad darker) Alclad Matt dark wash airbrushed.

DSCN2201.jpg

Cheers

Collin

Guys, thanks for your constructive comments and feedback.

-Neu my friend, you dont hijack anything, this is why i opened this thread, to comment, give new ideas and feedback from this new stuff.

-Collin by sayin ''creating a dark/muddy flat wash'' how did you do it? What did you use to create this mix? I suppose that you used this mix instead of Tamiya smoke lets say!. Very good info by the way!!

About the gloss one, some people complaint about being tucky even 2-3 days after the application, what is your experience about that?

John

Edited by zaxos345

John

Thanks for posting this. I have both the gloss and flat. I've used the gloss one time and sprayed it as if it was normal paint. It stayed tacky for a week. Fortunately it was the cockpit and was not a loss but I have not used the stuff since. I'll have to try misting it on. What air pressure and distance from the model did you use to shoot the gloss?

Thanks

Rodney

All:

I make my wash by (in the case of the FW-190D), a few drops of Floquil enamel Dirty Black (bascially RLM66) with the flat base Koat. Then just sprayed like any other weathering. I have experimented with enamel buff colors for that type of dirty wash as well. Just make sure you mix enamel with this stuff... ask me how I know (when I clogged up my airbrush with acrylic paint/Klear Koat goo).

Example....Just this morning I sprayed a coat of Alclad Gloss on this 1/72 stash P-51D, let it dry for about an hour (in a heated room where my boiler resides). Hard as a rock. Quick wash with Florey Dark Dirt...and then a few coats of semi-matt and matt. I was able to handle the model within a half an hour of the last matt coats. If I were using Future, I would still be waiting until tomorrow to let the Future cure.

DSCN2366.jpg

DSCN2365.jpg

Edited by Collin

John

Thanks for posting this. I have both the gloss and flat. I've used the gloss one time and sprayed it as if it was normal paint. It stayed tacky for a week. Fortunately it was the cockpit and was not a loss but I have not used the stuff since. I'll have to try misting it on. What air pressure and distance from the model did you use to shoot the gloss?

Thanks

Rodney

I assume you're talking about the klear kote gloss? I also have that tackiness problem with it. I'm not sure misting will help that much, but its worth a shot. It also prevents future from adhering well to the surface (it beads it). There is Aqua gloss product, which I've heard rave reviews of.

I assume you're talking about the klear kote gloss? I also have that tackiness problem with it. I'm not sure misting will help that much, but its worth a shot. It also prevents future from adhering well to the surface (it beads it). There is Aqua gloss product, which I've heard rave reviews of.

Yes, I was referring to the klear kote gloss. Unfortunately, we can share our dissappointment. Hopefully misting it on is the trick. I'd hate to have wasted my money but Collin seems to be having success.

What brand is this Aqua gloss? I've never heard of it.

Thanks for the show and tell Collin. I'll have to try again but experiment on some sheet styrene first. What pressure and distance from the model did you use?

Rodney

The Aqua Gloss is also Alclad. It is an acrylic gloss (obviously), and also is "recommended" as a protective coat for Alclad NMF, supposedly without reducing the metallic look. I tried it once and it does in fact reduce the metallic look, so it is not the panacea I had hoped for. I have seen equally good results with a thin coat of Future.

Edited by DutyCat
  • 3 weeks later...

I used the Alclad Klear Gloss yesterday.. Its been 36 hours and its still a little tacky in some areas.

Am I correct to say that I need to wait a few more days before I can handle?

OR

If I spray (Testors) flat over the top, and the flat dries quickly, will it basically "dry" the gloss?

Thanks in advance.

Adam

I don't know why folks just don't use the Testors in the purple label, square bottles(glosscoat and flatcote). Thinned with lacquer thinner, the stuff works great. Been using it for years with no problems. And no, it doesn't yellow.

Edited by DutyCat
  • 3 months later...

In the last two kit completed I do use the Alclad KLEAR KOTE MATTE.

And I CAN'T TOUCH the models freely. If I use the bare finger, the fingers get sticked to the model.

If I use a cotton glove is WORST because the at the distance the cotton's fibers get sticked on the model's surface.

Few moments ago I was oblged to repaint a little section of the my last model in work becaus ethere was a unwanted dark dirty zone.

I don't undestand the reason for this but I'm in alarm.

The Alclad KLEAR KOTE MATTE became sticky in two cases.

First time applied over the FUTURED model.

But this time the problem is happened covering a model painted with the naturally GLOSSY XTRACOLOR's enamales.

I have had similar problems using the common MODEL MASTER DULLCOTE but only when I have applied that paint using the BRUSH.

I'm in trouble bacause I did purchase the ENTIRE LINE of Alclad'd MATT PAINTS.....