Armor (Armour) Group Build . . . Ideas!!!

So since it is the holiday seasons and most of my armor is WWII I am trying to get Ideas of something "modern" to build. So I thought I would ask to see what other are thinking of doing for this group build set for April.

I plan on building a Hobby Boss 1/35 Leopard 2A4 as an unmodded (inaccurate :D) Finnish Leopard using the Echelon decals. I'll probably get the Real Model detail set and Bronco tracks for it. I might also build an AFV Club 1/35 M1132 or something else I pick up. I would like to get some other Finnish armor, but kits are severely lacking for it.

Tamiya has some nice and easy to build modern options in 1/35 with their M1s, Leopard 2A5s and 2A6s, Type 90 and their awesome Challenger 2.

What are your thoughts on started projects. I have a pile of armor I started about 6 years ago but never got around to finishing up (partially assembled but not painted). Most are modern but some are more 80s than 90s so I'd have to see if they were still in service by the 90s.

What are your thoughts on started projects. I have a pile of armor I started about 6 years ago but never got around to finishing up (partially assembled but not painted). Most are modern but some are more 80s than 90s so I'd have to see if they were still in service by the 90s.

We're still trying to think that out. I was thinking of allowing partially started kits, around 20% or less at mod's discretion. Another option would be to allow pretty much any started kits, but if we have a raffle, only unstarted kits will count towards the raffle. If you have any other suggestions let us know.

We're still trying to think that out. I was thinking of allowing partially started kits, around 20% or less at mod's discretion. Another option would be to allow pretty much any started kits, but if we have a raffle, only unstarted kits will count towards the raffle. If you have any other suggestions let us know.

I like the second option. I'm not that big on the raffles anyway but GBs tend to help me clear off my work bench. It also helps to avoid those "is it 20% 25% 30% started" questions without booting all false starts.

Lots of walk arounds of modern stuff can be found here. You may also see something you'd like to build.

http://www.primeportal.net/the_battlefield.htm

Wikipedia has a pretty extensive list of modern AFVs, but I'm not sure how accurate it is and it includes everything since WWII.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_modern_armoured_fighting_vehicles

Edited by SoarinSukhoi

I am thinking of a Challenger 2 . . . I see there is a Trumpeter and Tamiya kits . . . I will have to read reviews on them. I will go with a desert/Iraq theme.

If anyone has done either of these kits let me know.

So funny I have about 13 WW2 kits waiting for me . . . DOOOHHH

seems like everybody thinks MBT when it comes to armor. Why not an armored cav group build with rules being that everything is tracked, but no MBT's. Light tanks are fine and of cource APC's and others belonging in a unit being accepted. Now there are armored cav units under just about every flag out there, so you should have no serious problems finding a subject.

gary

As the GB rules are currently envisioned, light tanks, APCs, etc would be included in the Modern Armour GB. For a first GB, the idea is to be as inclusive as possible. Most people are, I think, fixating on the MBTs becuase that is what they are conditioned to think of as "armour."

If it was in active service after 1990, it is likely to be considered for the GB. Heck - if you can find a Tiger tank that was in service in the 90s (and can prove it), we will consider it...