Canadian Army LAV-III

• 4 weeks later...

Heres a long overdue build update...

Started off yesterday by priming the whole kit and aftermarket set using thinned Mr. Surfacer 1000 airbrushed with a medium nozzle at about 15 psi (in hindsight, i could have used the fine tip/needle). After it was dry to the touch I started with a preshade of MM Dark Green (fs 34079) along the panel joints and all nooks and crannies. Then this morning I used Humbrol 86 Light Olive Green to fill in the bare spaces between the preshading, then an overall coat of the light olive green to blend it all in. I noticed in the last picture a spot I missed, Ill have to touch that up.

P1000348.jpg

P1000351.jpg

P1000352.jpg

P1000353.jpg

P1000355.jpg

P1000356.jpg

P1000357.jpg

For the stowage gear, over the same primer I used the dark green as a base coat. then today I went in with the light olive and did some post shading on some items. gonna pick out a few things later to paint in different shades before I start some drybrushing and detail painting.

More pics, I did a top coat of Tamiya NATO green, it was a very close match to the Humbrol lt olive, just a little better saturation. Over that I did soem post shading of a faded olive green mix I made (approx 50/50 mix of nato green and tamiya dark yellow) and us that to post shade the panels a bit as well as the stowage gear. I did several passes over the canvas covers on the resin turret baskets. I then used what was left to drybrush high lights on the hull and turret. I used the dark yellow to drybrush highlights on the stowage bags, tarps and basket covers I liek the result. The effect is a lot more subtle to the naked eye, the camera seems to pick out the pre-shading too much. So I took some pics with and without the flash. Note, the color without the flash is closer to how it looks in real life,

P1000360.jpg

P1000361.jpg

P1000363.jpg

P1000365.jpg

P1000366.jpg

P1000367.jpg

P1000368.jpg

P1000369.jpg