Gloster Gladiator, Heller,1/72

IMG_3096.jpg

Going for an even half-dozen here, Gentlemen.

The Heller kit is real treat, certainly the best of the classic Gladiator models. Fit is excellent, it is well engineered, and has a number of good details in, such as the cut-out in the tail and the hand-holds in the upper wing.

IMG_3098.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3104.jpg

I did a little extra detailing on the interior, though very little of it will be seen with the kit transparencies in place.

IMG_3109.jpg

The one piece lower wing fit very well. So did the front decking piece; almost no filling was necessary at the joints with the cabane struts. The moulding on the cowling is very nice.

IMG_3110.jpg

The kit is moulded with a set of very large (more than a half millimeter in diameter) holes for passing rigging thread through, which have to be plugged.

Edited by Old Man

IMG_3116.jpg

Here is the mid-way point in putting on the canopy: the front and rear pieces are fixed in place, the middle piece has been trimmed at bit fore and aft to fit in,but is simply resting in place here. The framing of the front piece had to be altered a bit, with extra frames for later armor glass removed.

IMG_3131.jpg

IMG_3136.jpg

IMG_3138.jpg

Upper wing went on very well. I am using a slightly different order here; rather than painting everything and then assembling, I have left the wings in primer only when attaching the struts. This lets me dress strut joints without worry about damage to a final finish.