My First Tomcat

Pretty fun build overall happy with how it turned out.

Here is my latest let me know what you think. I have been doing a bunch of Jolly Rogers planes and to finish my tirfecta for 2011 I will be using a Hasegawa f-14, Aries cockpit. Blackbox update set and fightertown decals

Please let me know what think

fin1.jpg

fin3.jpg

fin4.jpg

fin6.jpg

fin5.jpg

fin17.jpg

fin19.jpg

fin21.jpg

fin22.jpg

fin23.jpg

Cont...

Beautiful, and love the family reunion. That just happens to be the threesome build I'm in the middle of right now, F-18F, F-4J, and F-14B, all VF-103/84. I've always wanted to do those.

Thanks for showing.

I really like the realistic weathering job. I have few tips for your future Hasegawa F-14 builds:

1) Hasegawa made the tail hook is too long. It should be about 3/16" shorter.

2) the panel lines on the engine fairing should be filled or sanded off. The real thing had a carbon fiber coating. Also, the fairing should be painted flat black.

3) Don't forget to paint the ECM blister on the wing grove.

4) The "ribbed" seat cushions on the GRU-7's are factory issue. Typically in the fleet the seat cushions were greatly worn and/or replaced with a more smooth fabric.

5) The seeker heads on the GBU's typically droop downward after loaded and the RBF tags removed. Before loading they have a foam piece that fixes the head forward. After this is removed they are free to move and will droop downward. In flight the airflow points them forward again.

2) the panel lines on the engine fairing should be filled or sanded off. The real thing had a carbon fiber coating. Also, the fairing should be painted flat black.

But it's important to note that that's only on the F-14B/D, with the GE engines. The ones on the F-14A, with the P&Ws, should have the panel lines, and be painted a dark, dirty metallic color.

This is a great-looking Tomcat! The weathering especially is top-notch! :salute:

Besides what's already been pointed out, the only other thing I'd mention for future projects is that the boarding ladder should be mounted a little bit higher--the bottom of it should be about level with the top of the nose wheels. Check some reference photos to see exactly what I mean.

Again, great job, especially for your first time tackling this kit.

• 4 weeks later...

Superb paint job! The weathering looks great, and I like the chipping in the cockpit area. It looks like a real Tomcat that's been around the block a few times. I also like the paint job on the interior of the nozzles; it really adds to the realistic feel. They look like they've spit out real fire.

My only nitpick is the canopy. As someone else mentioned, it has some scratches. I've had the same problem in the past, and it's nothing that can't be cured with some fine-grain abrasives and some polish. ARC has a nice tutorial for polishing canopies: Polishing Canopies Different people like different sanding and polishing products, and your mileage may vary, but that article covers the basics pretty well.

Really nice work overall. The little touches, like the wear on the tires and the fine work on the fragile antenna bits, are proof that this kit got a lot of loving attention from its builder. :thumbsup: