That is an outstanding choice for an A-10 Chris :woot.gif: ! I hav e build one in the pastm and even without updates its an very nice looking A-10.

Looking forward to see more of the 81st TFW A-10's!

Edited by Eric2020

nice work so far, I will likely build 80-0194 as well but in 1:48 with the hobbyboss kit.

In case you didn't know, 80-194 is a later A-10A meaning those angular shapes under the nose and tail which housed the ALR-46 Radar Warning system should be removed (not so sure about the tail due to lack of a decent rear shot, but I believe it's gone too). A-10A 80-194 had the ALR-69 which consisted of two small black circular antennas on the nose and on the tail.

Also, if you want to depict this plane in the field .. the AN/UPN-25 X-Band radar on top of the right fin would likely be removed.

Edited by Benner

Thanks Benner - it was on my list of mods but I'd not gotten around to it. It's a bit of a pain that Italeri manage to model an early aircraft (i.e. with the AN/ALR-46) but DON'T include the gun vent covers!! Ho hum...

I've started on the mods (thankfully minor) to update this to an early '90s aircraft, starting by removing the AN/ALR-46 fairings... The pics below show the fairings in place...

A-10A_80-0194_1006.jpg

A-10A_80-0194_1007.jpg

Edited by UKPonchoMan
  • 2 weeks later...

Time for an update...

Basic assembly is not far off being complete - I just need to get the engine nacelles assembled:-

A-10A_80-0194_1008.jpg

A-10A_80-0194_1009.jpg

A-10A_80-0194_1010.jpg

A-10A_80-0194_1011.jpg

A-10A_80-0194_1014.jpg

I removed the AN/ALR-46 assemblies - I will add the AN/ALR-69 assemblies later.

A-10A_80-0194_1012.jpg

A-10A_80-0194_1013.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to get the dark grey (FS36081) painted tonight. I've decided to start with this as I think the greens tend to affect the colour of whatever is painted on top...

A-10A_80-0194_3001.jpg

A-10A_80-0194_3002.jpg

A-10A_80-0194_3003.jpg

Edited by UKPonchoMan

Nice looking A-10, I painted one this week and did it this way. I hope I have the same scheme as your A-10 is.

First colour to aply is FS 34102 Humbroll 117

Second is FS 34092 Humbrol 149

Third and last to aply is FS 36081 Humbrol 32

I worked from light to dark :salute:

• 3 weeks later...

I do not see the green Chris, but it looks very good to me as its very glossy :worship:. I did have one problem in the way you paint it as well. Mine was from the paintshop and than had to paint the engine. That is very hard to do, so in the future builds of the A-10 I paint the engine first and than tape it up and than assemble it.

Easy way out would be to have engine covers :salute:

Hi Eric,

It's funny how photographs can differ from the real thing - I realised when I uploaded them that they didn't show the green very well...

As for the intakes, a friend of mine noted that the section nearest the fan is white, so I would probably approach it your way in future. It's actually my first A-10 build, so I'm learning as I go!

Chris

Indeed there is white againt the blades, but i have to say it is only vissible in the new grey scheme. Not sure if there where changes on the intake of the A-10.

Also note the navlights on the A-10. I have the Academy A-10 72nd and have several versions of the kit. Somehow one is saying Red/blue lights on the wings. The other is saying Red/Green I did them according to the new kit Red blue. Other instructions I have do not even mention them to be painted. :salute:

look at the engines here:

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/NewEnglandAirMuseum/RepublicA10ThunderboltII/images/08A10ThunderboltEngineNacelle.jpg

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/a10enginess_1.htm

Edited by Eric2020