Thinning paints for airbrush....

What to you use to thin the paints, thinner or water?

And what ratio do you use?

Well, that depends. Enamel paints will require to use enamel thinnner, there are several different things you can use. Acrylic paints can be thinned with water. Most will say to use distilled water, but I have used it straight from the tap with no issues. Also, acrylics are nontoxic and do not have a funky smell - not the case with enamel. You should know that acrylics dry much faster though, so it is really up to you to decide what type you want to use. As far as thinning ratios - this also differs. If you are airbrushing, I would start out at 50/50 and build up several light coats until you are satisfied. You dont want to clog the airbrush. If you are brush painting, simply dip your brush in a bit of thinning agent and add a touch of your paint, should do the trick. Welcome to the Forums!

If its acrylic I just use isopropol at about 60% paint, 40% iso.

There are many threads pertaining to thinning and airbrushing if you use the search option at the top right.

Lots of very helpfull stuff!

What to you use to thin the paints, thinner or water?

And what ratio do you use?

I think we can provide you more precise help if you tell us what brand and type of paint you are using. In general, I would recommend using the manufacturer's thinner for thinning the paint. The standard answer is to thin your paint to the consistancy of milk. But I found that hard to quantify until I saw a demo many years ago and the light bulb went on. Now, it seems obvious. Generally, I thin 40-50% thinner depending upon the paint thickness and color (thin darker colors more).

HTH,

Rodney