How to improve the Research Corner

On the recently started C-17 thread, a poster makes the observation that folks will post pictures and then after a while, delete them from their photo hosting account. Eventually, this results in multiple pages of posts and few photos. These multiple pages have to be sorted through by anyone hoping to glean some good reference imagery for their project.

There has got to be a better way. At one time, photos could be placed directly in posts. I understand there were some virus issues associated with this practice, so it was disallowed.

However, at the same time, we have thousands of photos of project submissions readily available in the gallery. These have been vetted before publishing.

So, the obvious answer here would be to establish a research section where all permanent reference photos are submitted and vetted before publishing.

What say you guys? It would entail more work managing the site, however.

What say you guys? It would entail more work managing the site, however.

Good idea, but I'm sure Steve already has too much to do, so not sure if it would be something someone else would want to take on, on a regular basis. Also, that type of format would presumably restrict photos to a specific size, whereas the current format can accommodate much higher resolution photos. I agree it's a pain to go page after page of removed photos, but every once in a while, I go through and check all pages , right-click save. Gotta get em before there gone.

Another thing that may help is tagging each photo with things like the aircraft type, bu no, squadron, etc. Some of those threads have dozens of pages and just looking for a single aircraft becomes very time consuming. One such example; the Tomcat thread is 82 pages which I'll have to look through to find some pictures of a vf-111 Tomcat.

Allowing members to upload photos will take up a lot of server space which the owner will have to pay for. There should be some minimum requirements for the quality of the photo, but also some maximum size limits.

From the situation with the group builds, I doubt Steve would have the time to be able to manage it. It might be better for someone else, with possibly their own site, to manage it.

Edited by SoarinSukhoi

I know some forum software programs have some sort of probation setting limiting low posting number members from accessing some functions. Perhaps something like that could be set up for the gallery. A number high enough to keep a new account created just to wreak havoc from having access, but low enough not to prevent a member who has been active for a fairly short period from participating. Keep the actual number secret but something like 100 posts seems reasonable. Exeptions could always be granted by the admin for those relatively quiet members with photos to share. Having the bulk be automatically added after a time would reduce the admins work to only dealing with the exceptions.

Alternately if the number of people who actually contribute to the research section is relatively small, perhaps it could be set up as a protected forum like the GB section, requiring admin approval for posting access.

Edited by Aaronw