cleaning airbrush

I am totally new to modelling, and still fighting with airbrushing. I spend a lot more time cleaning and maitaining my airbrush than acutally airbrushing. Is that normal?

Which procedure to you guys undergo when changing colours on the airbrush? Which for cleaning the airbrush after a session? => I use Revell Aqua colours, if that helps. Thanks.

It depends on what gun you use.

Some are better to clean and some are not.

I also use aqua color from Revell and if my work is done for thee Day , I first wash my gun under Water ( remove the spray nozzle )

After I put altogether again and fill the reservoir with water and Spray it out.

At last I take a few drops of Isopropyl Alcohol and Spray it out .

Pull the needle back and take some real soft kleenex and wipe out the spray nozzle.

hope this helps.

If you need I can do my process in pics and show you.

And sry for my bad English, hope you know what i mean.

After each painting session, I tear my airbrush down and give it a good cleaning. This saves a lot of headaches, swearing, etc. the next time I use my airbrush. The only time I don't clean it between colors is if I am changing colors during the same painting session. Make sure that you remove any teflon gaskets, rubber "o-rings," or any other parts that aren't made of metal that will come in contact with your cleaning solution. When using hot solvents like lacquer thinner, I use a "cleaning station" to catch the solvent. When cleaning acrylic paints, I clean the airbrush with Windex with ammonia and/or denatured alcohol. When cleaning enamels and/or lacquers, I clean the airbrush with lacquer thinner. Make sure that you wear a good respirator whenever you use your airbrush.

The bottom line is that if you take care of your airbrush, your airbrush will take care of you.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Suggestions:

- use a acrylic retarder wtih your Revel Aqua paints, this prevents drying on the tip and internal to your airbrush

- Spray some thinner or cleaner ahead of painting

- Make sure your paint is adequately thinned,thicker paint clogs

- Clean your tip in the midst of longer painting sessions

- Bathe your airbrush bits (tips, cones, nozzles) between sessions in a cleaner like Windex (with ammonia) Simple Green, other

- lubricate your airbrush parts. Tip- roll the needle shaft against your forehead, there (should be) just enough natural grease on your skin for the job.

- is your air too dry contributing to paint drying prematurely?

I just started a whole story about how I clean my H&S evolution, but I deleted it when I stumbled on this site. It shows the way I clean my airbrush(I'm not the only one doing it that way, so I must be doing something right :D).

The only thing I do differently, is removing the needle. I feel pulling the needle out the back end of the airbrush, increases the risk of pulling paint into the back end of the AB, so I remove the nozzle, and push it out through the front. Oh, and I have a dedicated soft brush I use for cleaning the container, instead of a q-tip.

The tips toadwbg gave in the post above this one, are gold. Although I only strip my Evolution, when I know I won't be using it for a longer period of time. And take care of your forehead, those needles are sharp( ask me how I know :o )

Most of all, find a method that works for you, and don't be to scared of ruining your AB. I know that thought was what made me spend to much time cleaning. And even if your needle gets stuck with dried paint, you'll be able to revive it without to much work. Experiment and learn...

One of the things I use most which can be baught really cheaply are Pipe cleaners from a cigar shop. And they come in different sizes. When I clean my airbrush after every session i pull it completley apart. When spraying acrylics i use windex or alchohol and sometimes i even use a little vinegar to help get the nasty film off of the inside. When i spray enamels i tear my AB apart and soak it in enamel thinner for about an hour just to make things easier. I usually do shop clean up and put the last peices im working with together during this time.

When I clean the needle it always comes out and i use more than a few pipe cleaners on the inside to make certain the AB is clean. You need to be careful with these things though because the pipe cleaners have metal in them and can scar the AB. The needle is just as fragile one bad drop and the needle is done. after Im done cleaning my AB i use my big compressor and blow everything out of it and let it air dry over night before putting it back together to prevent any parts on the inside from sticking together from left over paint. You can also use a can of compressed air for this but its not as good.

Thin your paint enough to spray evenly and from time to time i use a q-tip durring a session with what ever thinner i need to whipe the tip off. I also spray the airbrush into my hand from time to time because i can feel the airflow on my hand and can scense a clog before it ruins my work. I dont actually spray paint on my hand but with the airflo i can feel a clog. Hope we all Collectivley have helped you out here. Happy Modeling JOSH

I am totally new to modelling, and still fighting with airbrushing. I spend a lot more time cleaning and maitaining my airbrush than acutally airbrushing. Is that normal?

Which procedure to you guys undergo when changing colours on the airbrush? Which for cleaning the airbrush after a session? => I use Revell Aqua colours, if that helps. Thanks.

No, you should not have to spend more time cleaning and maitaining my airbrush than acutally airbrushing. If that is the case, it is very likely that you will be using your airbrush less and less. It was my case when I had a Paasche H. But everything changed when I upgrade to an Iwata HP-CS. Most of what I describe below is applicable to other internal mix, gravity feed airbrushes.

You should not have to disassemble the airbrush changing color each time. If you spray it out good, backflush it and flush it well with water afterwards there is no reason to take it apart each time. That is unless you want to take the risk of damaging some part like the needle or tip as many beginners do when they take bad advice like tear it down each time you paint.

Backflush is good enough in between colors.

I unscrew the handle, take out the needle, wipe it clean and lub before putting it back at the end of each day. You have to be careful even if you have the brand of airbrush that is most resistent to bending.

Back flushing means holding something like a paper towel over the nozzle of the airbrush while pressing down and pulling back slightly on the trigger. This forces air back through the tip and into the paint cup, causing bubbles. It breaks paint free and helps to wash it out. You should spray clean through the airbrush before backflushing.

I learned this technique from a cosmetician lady, Sheila McKenna. The Kett Cosmetic video is very professional and practical. It got down to the essence of backflushing and left nothing to imagination. Another bonus, she does not have those funny colored nail to distract you. This video has been around for awhile at Youtube and I have not seen any better. You can also find a higher resolution version at their web site. http://kettcosmetics...=mov&video_id=4

In addition to some of the above tips once in a while I will use q-tips dipped in Acetone (nail polish remover)and that gets it like brand new. Strips all the old paint easily. Just be careful not to get any on seals and the like. I only do this every couple of months but it works great.

Kei Lau is 100% correct. That's what I do with mine. I also clean my automotive guns the same way. Works great. You really only need to disassemble the brush every few times you use the thing. Don't get me wrong, you want to flush till it runs clean, but taking the brush apart after every color is totally unnecessary.

Thanks a lot balls47 i was searching for this for very long time, actually i recently join this forum and i hope got lot of such useful information in future.

After each painting session, I tear my airbrush down and give it a good cleaning. This saves a lot of headaches, swearing, etc. the next time I use my airbrush. The only time I don't clean it between colors is if I am changing colors during the same painting session. Make sure that you remove any teflon gaskets, rubber "o-rings," or any other parts that aren't made of metal that will come in contact with your cleaning solution. When using hot solvents like lacquer thinner, I use a "cleaning station" to catch the solvent. When cleaning acrylic paints, I clean the airbrush with Windex with ammonia and/or denatured alcohol. When cleaning enamels and/or lacquers, I clean the airbrush with lacquer thinner. Make sure that you wear a good respirator whenever you use your airbrush.

The bottom line is that if you take care of your airbrush, your airbrush will take care of you.

Edited by watson88
  • 9 years later...

If you all want to clean your airbrush deep into the crevices you cant even see then invest in an ultra sonic cleaner it has a stainless steel cleaning tank 110V with Heater & Digital Timer for Electronic Tools Jewelry Watch Dentures Glasses Rings Dental/Lab/Hospital Instruments. Amazon sells a variety of sizes good prices. I clean mine in the vessel once per week.

Greetings.

I bought an ultrasonic cleaner and its well worth the investment.  You dont have to spend a lot of money either.  Works very well with just soap and water.  My airbrushes come out looking like new.  There is a lot of info out there on the topic.

There is a very good video, great for beginners, with nice tips on how to keep your airbrush clean!

It is a presentation by Ken Schlotfeldt, introducing airbrushing, during a wargaming convention. Quite long but very educational.

Discussion on cleaning agents at 58:15.

Cleaning an airbrush at 1:11:14

Cheers 

Hi all, until relatively recently, I used to have airbrush problems routinely...clogging and just generally unsatisfactory performance.  I used to break down my airbrush and try to do a thorough cleaning after every painting session, and it often still did not prevent the problems I would have.  I have, however, subsequently seen the light and now know the secret of airbrush use...and that secret is thin paint!!  After having destroyed several pricey airbrushes, I have learned that if you thin your paint to a consistency even thinner than you might think is wise, as close to water as possible, and then THOROUGHLY clean your airbrush when done, but JUST by running a decent volume of lacquer thinner through the brush, taking out the needle and wiping it down, using a q-tip and getting every bit of paint off the nozzle and out of the color cup.  I must have done a 100 paint sessions with my Gunze airbrush and have yet to have to break it down for cleaning. 

• 4 weeks later...

So here is my Vevor ultrasonic digital cleaner. I used this airbrush heavily for a big priming job it's a spare airbrush. It had about 6 months of crud in places I can't reach. Here it is disassembled into a tank of Windex 100%.

i-j2BvJdZ-600x450.jpg

Smaller parts went into a basket key for safety is not to allow parts to touch bottom or sides. 

i-3JdjR6P-600x450.jpg

i-bFhLdqr-600x450.jpg

Temp was set to 56 Celsius on full wave for one hour. Here is the paint that came off after I thought it was already clean.

i-MxFrDC9-338x450.jpg

Parts are ultra clean like surgical clean. I'll lubricate the packing rings, needle and reassemble.

i-84QgC2J-600x450.jpg

Ultrasonic cleaner is made by Vevor best to order direct many sizes available this one was $120 with shipping.

Use in well ventilated area safety first. You can also water it down or use another favorite product like simply green. I know Windex works on all paints and it's cheap. You can also use your airbrush cleaning solution mixed with water but that can get expensive.

Edited by Night Owl Models
Spelling