Hey Stefan,

An M-60 is a great idea but for the GB we try to limit us to units based in Europe in order not to have the complete National Guard build here for instance, since they all crossed the pound for an exercise at one point.

Can you check which unit your M-60 belongs to?

Thanks in advance, Clément.

Hello, Clément.

The Revell instructions say "2/69 AR, 197th Brigade (Independent), Vth (US) Corps, REFORGER 88, FTX "Certain Challenge", Aub, Deutschland".

I have no idea if they were a Germany-based unit that wore the execsise markings to work together with the units that came in reinforcement or if they were a US based unit that crossed the pond just for the exercise.

Does anyone know?

Cheers, Stefan.

V Corps was based in Germany in the famous Fulda Gap, so you're good to go! This is the Revell kit, right? It has some interresting options, might have to get it myself. Will you use the kit tracks?

Thanks, Pete.

Yes, those RoG decal options are pretty cool.

The exercise markings add a splash of color to 3 of the 4 options and the fourth is an OPFOR tank.

I rarely build any armor and I thought of this as a fun, straight-from-the-box project.

Is there something terribly wrong with the kit tracks?

Cheers, Stefan.

I have no idea if there's anything wrong with those tracks, it's just that I've never built an armor kit with that type of tracks. Mine always had the rubber band type. This might work just as well, look forward to see how it goes.

These plastic tracks are great. Although there is a problem if you wanted to show the tracks with the sag as they go across the rollers at the top.

But, if there are track guards so the track cannot be seen, I sometimes don't fit it all across the top as you can then use it as extra 'armour' on the hull.

Follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

Watching with interest.

Deacon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the interest, Deacon. I'll be keeping an eye on your 1/72 build too.

I've started on the 1/35th RoG M-60A3. I'm not sure if it's an original Revell mould, I think there have also been 1/35 M-60's by Tamiya, Academy and Italeri.

I took a look at my Tamiya M-60A2, built around 1986...there are certainly differences like the position of the driver's periscopes.

I also had a look at some reference photos. I found that there were indeed (at least) two types of tracks: the original and the ones with the octagonal rubber blocks. This Revell kit correctly has the octagonal rubber blocks.

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi,

I've been making some good progress on my M-60.

The tracks were quite a bit of work to install. On the left side, I had to install one block too many. I had to choose between having a gap in the track or having a sagging track. I chose for a sagging track.

It doesn't look too bad in the picture and in the overall look of the model it will not be that noticeable.

ARCNAEUGB-3.jpg

Yesterday, I sprayed some gray primer on the model. Partly in preparation for the painting and mainly because I wanted to check how the seams on the barrel had been dealt with.

After that, I added the basket at the back of the turret.

At first I attempted to do it like in the instructions, assembling the basket before attaching it to the turret. This was going to end in disaster. I then attached parts 20A, 21A, 19A, 22A and 9A to the turret for guidance.

That helped and I now have a basket attached to the turret.

ARCNAEUGB-2.jpg

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi,

Not an entry in the GB, but interesting to see next to my late 1980's M-60A3: an M-60A2 in the "VIIth Corps in Germany" camouflage of the mid-1970's.

This is the model I built around 1986-87. I'll refurbish it a bit so that at the end of the thread I can show both of them together.

I'll put a tarpaulin over the basket to cover the missing bits and the same goes for the .50 in the commander's cuppola.

M-60A2-1.jpg

M-60A2-2.jpg

Cheers, Stefan.

Thanks, guys.

The gun is now attached to the turret. There is very little plastic surface to attach it to, so I inserted a blob of miliput into the turret and pressed the rear end of the gun into that.

I also added the smoke grenade launchers. Also items with very little surface to attach to the turret. I drilled holes, inserted a metal pin and attached them with CA glue.

Pictures to follow later...

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi,

Thanks for the encouragement, Deacon.

The other colours have been added.

I'll need to do some touch-ups for cases of overspray (like on the barrel).

ARCM-603col.jpg

When I looked the model in green, I thought "M-60". Now with the black added, my first impression when I look at it is that it is a British or Dutch army vehicle.

Cheers, Stefan.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliment and encouragement, guys.

The decals have been applied now.

ARCM-6030mei-1.jpg

I just need to add a few details and mud.

One of the things I have to add is the exercise sign that was fixed to the basket.

I cut a backing plate for that from a coke can. I figure that the US ARMY made these things from sheet metal.

I thought of leaving the bare metal side visible, but in the end, I sprayed it green. The decal needs something adhere to and I'm sure those army guys wanted it camouflaged.

Cheers, Stefan.