I found a different kind of X-Acto blade at Hobby Lobby, and I'm wondering if any of you have torture tested it yet. It's a regular #11 sized blade, but is labeled as "Zirconium Nitride Coated", and is supposedly sharper, and more durable than the standard blade. The edge is a Gold color, as is the handel's collet. It would be cool if this really is a sharper, and longer lasting blade, but the skeptic in me is suspecting gimmick. Anyone tried it?

Cheers

I found a different kind of X-Acto blade at Hobby Lobby, and I'm wondering if any of you have torture tested it yet. It's a regular #11 sized blade, but is labeled as "Zirconium Nitride Coated", and is supposedly sharper, and more durable than the standard blade. The edge is a Gold color, as is the handel's collet. It would be cool if this really is a sharper, and longer lasting blade, but the skeptic in me is suspecting gimmick. Anyone tried it?

Cheers

Coated which is suppose to provide 3-4x longer lasting at somewhere around 6-8x more the cost. These blades are standard Xacto blades which are know to have weak tips/points that break when scoring.

Personally I think they are trying to use the same gimmick as those cheap drill bits which are coated to help keep them sharper, but once you drill into something the coating is quickly worn away and any advantage is lost. Typically they pass off titanium coating on drill bits as a substitute for titanium bits used to drill into stainless steel. You might punch one clean hole, but after that forget about it.

This technology has been around for seven to ten years and other blade mfrs have considered this but have passed on it because the additional cost doesn't justify the expected additional life expectancy. I think this will be just a flash in the marketplace and gone quickly, dropped by Xacto as a product that didn't deliver on its promise or ROI. Consumers will be the final say so, but I think again given the costs versus the added life, it isn't worth it.