Royal Maces F/A-18E

Hi all,

Started this one a few weeks ago, Hasegawa's 1/48 F/A-18E.

Not much progress so far, thought I'd start work on the areas that are a bit fiddly and try and get them out of the way.

IMG_0326copy.jpg

I ran a cable to the resin piece on the right hand side as well after the pic was taken.IMG_0320copy.jpg

IMG_0314copy.jpg

IMG_0338copy.jpg

IMG_0366copy.jpg

IMG_0372copy.jpg

Thats all for now, but I hope to get a bit done over the Christmas Holidays.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Few more bits and pieces done.

Aires IP.

IMG_0423copy.jpg

This part goes under the mesh screen and will not be very visible, but I painted it anyway.

IMG_0429copy.jpg

I used an Avionix seat, purely for the fact I hate dealing with PE belts on the Aires ones.

IMG_0452copy.jpg

Test fit.

IMG_0457copy.jpg

IMG_0463copy.jpg

I used Simones, (f12aaa)'s mix for tinting the windscreen.

IMG_0443copy.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Jeff.

Thanks David and Ian! :thumbsup:

Awesome..is there a thread with the mix for the windscreen tint?

David

David, its 5 parts Tamiya Smoke plus 1 part Tamiya Clear Yellow, then dip it in Future to clear it up.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok, a bit more progress on this one.

Main wheel bay pipes and cables added...not 100 percent correct, but enough to busy up the area. IMG_0571copy.jpg

IMG_0580copy.jpg

IMG_0586copy.jpg

Small detail added to these vents. IMG_0595copy.jpg

Heat blankets installed, made from lead sheet. IMG_0590copy.jpg

Two Mikes seamless intakes installed,...still have to clean up the intake lips a bit more. IMG_0607copy.jpg

Landing gear painted.

IMG_0548copy.jpg

IMG_0566copy.jpg

The Aires wheelbay set doesn't fit too good, thats why I did the plumbing in the main wheel well myself,so I cut out some sections that I could use and grafted them onto the kit to try and make some use of it.

IMG_0537copy.jpg

IMG_0530copy.jpg

Thanks for looking in!:thumbs-up:

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Just curious. Have you tried a test fit with the aires pit and front wheel bay? I made this exact model a few years back with an aires pit and wheel wells. I shaved both almost to the point of breaking through the bottom and they still wouldnt fit for me.

Granted, this was one of my first "serious" builds so I may have overlooked a solution. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Just curious. Have you tried a test fit with the aires pit and front wheel bay? I made this exact model a few years back with an aires pit and wheel wells. I shaved both almost to the point of breaking through the bottom and they still wouldnt fit for me.

Granted, this was one of my first "serious" builds so I may have overlooked a solution. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Yes, you are right, I have installed the Aires cockpit, and there was no way on Earth the nose gear wheel well was going to fit with the cockpit installed, no matter how thin I sanded everything down!

What I had to do with the deepest part of the wheel well on this one, since I had already installed the cockpit, and I had already cut the kit plastic to fit this section of the wheel well, was actually cut the bottom plate part off the wheel well, then file the side walls down a couple of millimeters to give it clearance from the cockpit tub, then glue the bottom plate back on.This was a lot of mucking around, but I got there in the end, but I wouldn't recommend this method to anyone, I always seem to create more work for myself on every build I do. :D

Cheer's,

Jeff.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Great work Jeff, your attention to detail is awe inspiring.I'm gonna go nutz in this forum....many of the builds being done; I've got kits in the stash for...so pretty much I can use this forum as a how to for many of my future attempts.

Wonderful job right here Jeff. Did you make some progress on your build since last update?

Great work Jeff, your attention to detail is awe inspiring.I'm gonna go nutz in this forum....many of the builds being done; I've got kits in the stash for...so pretty much I can use this forum as a how to for many of my future attempts.

Hi Iceman and Clif,

Jeez, I didn't expect this thread to pop up, I actually forgot I started it!

I didn't realise I did this one two years ago, and yes, I did complete it, here are some pics of the finished model.

IMG_1261copy.jpg

IMG_1269copy.jpg

IMG_1286copy.jpg

IMG_1278copy.jpg

IMG_1341copy.jpg

IMG_1351copy.jpg

IMG_1368copy.jpg

IMG_1379copy.jpg